logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tweed33  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2008 11:30:35 AM(UTC)
tweed33

Groups: Registered

"first timer with EasyStill here... I used 8kg white sugar with the 24hour turbo yeast and let it bubble away for 3 days... then left it for another 2. I distilled 4L in the EasyStill using the activated carbon filters provided with the still. Here are my questions..

1.) I have an alcohol meter, but am unsure if I need a graduated cylinder to get an accurate reading? Or can I use something else?

2.) I have distilled one batch 4 times to get as pure a yield as possible, but it has resulted in a low alcohol content (tested by lighting on fire..nothing happened), and a it has a subtle yeast smell as well.

I realize lightting on fire isn't the best method of testing, but store bought vodka lit up just fine...any help would be greatly appreciated."
Offline LOCOMIKE  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2008 11:54:11 AM(UTC)
LOCOMIKE

"So many thing may have gone wrong, it's hard to say.

I suggest you use the handy Brewhaus calculator at
http://www.brewhaus.com/Calculators_s/46.htm

Your wash may have stalled therefor yielding low ABV to begin with. I would monitor the specific gravity drop as your wash works off to know when it stalled or is complete.

You may have had issues during distillation therefor distilling water with your alchohol.

Invest in a few inexpensive instruments and save allot on sugar and yeast RollEyes

Any container that is deep enough that your hygrometer does not bottom out will work for your test. BigGrin"
Offline tweed33  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2008 12:52:38 PM(UTC)
tweed33

"thanks for the quick response... i will use your advice to improve on my next mash. As for this one..

1.) what inexpensive things do you think i need?

2.) I have the air-lock on the rest of the mash...should I have sealed it instead for future use, or is it garbage?

3.) not sure how to test 'specific gravity'? is it just a simple weight scale measurement taken before and after the bubbling of the mash?

thanks again.. greatly appreciated!"
Offline tikisteve  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2008 5:54:06 PM(UTC)
tikisteve

"I've always used the cylinder that my meter came with and get a pretty acurate reading.
When you redistill make sure you add some water to your pot along with your distillate. Also try adding some baking soda to your distillate before redistilling, it helps with a cleaner product. Just remember to use it only when redistilling and not during your first run with a fermented wash.
TS"
Offline just_me  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:37:43 AM(UTC)
just_me

"i haven't tried the turbo24 only the turbo48. i read on the brewhaus site that you are supposed to use 6kg(13lbs) of sugar. in your post you said you used 8kg(17lbs) of sugar. i am not sure what the effect is. taste your mash and it probably has a sweet taste which means that it hasn't fermented all the sugar.
and when you re-distill(spirit run) your stripped run always water it down to 50abv. i hope this helps. welcome to the hobby. here is a link that will help you. http://homedistiller.org.

just me"
Offline tweed33  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:10:15 PM(UTC)
tweed33

"thanks again for all the help.. I'm checking out the link now... will post any significant changes that occur..in hopes that they will be helpful to someone else!

tweed33:)"
Offline LOCOMIKE  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:11:18 PM(UTC)
LOCOMIKE

"my rookie opinion is you need a

to measure fermentation of the mash

http://www.brewhaus.com/Oeschle...eter_25cm_p/40005100.htm

to measure alcohol ABV and Proof after distillation

http://www.brewhaus.com/Alcoholmeter_25cm_p/40005000.htm

sure beats lighting with a match :)"
Offline tweed33  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 10:28:06 AM(UTC)
tweed33

"I""ve checked the alcohol content with an alcohol meter and the reading is at 20%...this is after distilling 4 times with the same batch. Do I continue to distill to get a higher alcohol content? Or is that batch at it's peaks? I still have plenty of mash left. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for the help so far! I'll get it right sooner or later.. (sooner I hope)

tweed33:)"
Offline just_me  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 11:23:23 AM(UTC)
just_me

"have you ran all your wash once? i am going to go from the start to the end. you take the proper amount of sugar to the right amount of water. follow the instructions on your turbo yeast. let it sit until you aren't getting any action in your airlock. it may say turbo24 or 48 but it will take longer.waiting sucks. after it is fully fermented out (use a hydrometer) to below 99 you can either use a clearing product (i use sparkoloid) or you can wait and it will clear in a week or so. after it is cleared you will rack to a different carboy. you start doing first runs. if you are using a easystill put a fork into your pot and fill it a inch or two below the fill line for a sugar wash. the fork keeps your still from venting. collect all of your alcohol until your alcometer is reading 0%. after you have done all your first runs(stripping runs) you mix them all together and water them down to 50%. then you start your spirit runs. collect your distillate in small doses. i change the jar every 20 minutes. remember to number them. after you are done with all your runs you should distill some water and use that to dilute to drinking strength(40% or 80 proof).
taste your product the first jars(heads) wont taste good. save them for later runs.
the last jars will taste bad(tails) and save them also. the ones in between are called hearts.start adding your heads and tails to your later runs. it will increase your hearts."
Offline tweed33  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2008 2:01:41 AM(UTC)
tweed33

"wow... a lot I was missing. Thank you so much for the baby steps.. I needed them... will let you know how it goes..

thanks again..

tweed33
BigGrin"