logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline odonel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:23:35 AM(UTC)
odonel

Groups: Registered

"morning guys, I received my MrDistiller last week along with the filtering system.

some step by step guide would help a little. Never done this thing before, been reading some of the posts here.

how do I get started ? I need to try some 120-140 proof to mix with liquor.

These are what I have from Brewhaus....

8kg turbo yeast
Distiller"s nutrients
EasysStill with filtering system
Beer kit, syphoneless 5.5 fermenter, 12q boiling pot

It is my understanding that I would ferment sugar, water, yeast for a few days and distill. How much sugar and water to get 1 gallon of 60-70%? How does the carbon filter thing work? I received the pipe and the filter. I have read that Corn can be used also, is it the type of corn that are sold in cans in grocery stores ? if not, which ones should I get?

thanx"
Offline tikisteve  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2008 10:07:01 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"Hello odonel,
When I had my easystill, I would use about 8 lbs of sugar to about 5 liters of water and heat it up to help the sugar disolve, then I poured it into a 10 liter fermenter and added water until I had about 8 liters total in the container. I let it cool down to about 90 degrees fahrenheit, add about 1/3rd of the turbo-yeast making sure the package is mixed well to get a good blend of yeast and nutrients.(you don't need the whole package and you can store it in the fridge for the next batch)
stir well to aerate, cover and wait. No need to add distiller"s nutrients since the turo-yeast has enough in it.

There are directions on using the filter system on the brewhaus web site, it's for the 3 piece filter system but you can scale it down pretty easy, here is the link. http://www.brewhaus.com/Catalogs/activated_book1.pdf
Hope this helps!
TS"
Offline odonel  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:57:39 AM(UTC)
odonel

"Thanx Steve,

I did the first batch last night....it took a while to reach under 90deg....it is now fermenting. How long do I ferment ? I checked the link but I Still do not get the activated filter step. Is it really necessary?

What should I get ready for the Distillation process and what should I expect?

Thanx"
Offline tikisteve  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:04:09 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"Hey odonel,
It took about 5 days before I stopped getting bubbles. Some people will stop after 3 days by measuring their SG, once your SG is at 00 your done.
Next you will want to funnel into another container and add a clearing agent, I use Sparkolloid that brewhaus sells and let that sit for at least 24 hrs.
Pour or siphon it into your easystill and wait. after a couple of hours you'll start getting a nice steady drip. If you not sure how much distillate you'll get from your wash, go to the brewhaus website and click on the calculator section, there you can use one of the calculators to estimate how much product you should expect. I only collect my distillate down to when it' gets to 40%, after that you start getting off flavors. If you want, you can collect all of you product but make sure that anything below 40% you will want to collect it in a different container, save it and reuse it in your next batch you distill.

If you distill it once you probably will want to carbon filter it, it really makes a difference. Some people here say they just pour the carbon in a container (make sure the container will handle the distillate and not break down from the alcohol and contaminate it product. glass is the best) add the distillate and shake it, let settle and repeat I think it takes a few days that way, but I may be wrong. I use the tube filled with the carbon and put the filter on one end with the small funnel to help hole it in place. Make sure your carbon is cleaned and wet so that it settles in the tube better. Just pour it from the top and let it flow through to your catch bottle.

Hope this helped.
Have fun!
Steve"
Offline widowmaker 66  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:49:41 AM(UTC)
widowmaker 66

"
Originally Posted by: odonel Go to Quoted Post
morning guys, I received my MrDistiller last week along with the filtering system.

some step by step guide would help a little. Never done this thing before, been reading some of the posts here.

how do I get started ? I need to try some 120-140 proof to mix with liquor.

These are what I have from Brewhaus....

8kg turbo yeast
Distiller"s nutrients
EasysStill with filtering system
Beer kit, syphoneless 5.5 fermenter, 12q boiling pot

It is my understanding that I would ferment sugar, water, yeast for a few days and distill. How much sugar and water to get 1 gallon of 60-70%? How does the carbon filter thing work? I received the pipe and the filter. I have read that Corn can be used also, is it the type of corn that are sold in cans in grocery stores ? if not, which ones should I get?

thanx

i use 2 lbs of corn meal 1.3/4 gallons of water (distilled) 2lbs sugar .and packet of wine yeast , heat enough water to melt sugar, hydrate yeast in warm cup water, mix well let set 5-7 days ,i get around a quart of 120-140 proof for larger batches its a 1to 1 ratio for corn meal/sugar and one packet of wine yeast will ferment up to 5 gallons"