logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline General Hornball  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2008 8:01:08 AM(UTC)
General Hornball

Groups: Registered

"Well I now have a Whiskey Pot Still (from Portugal), quality tested mountain water, Whiskey Yeast with AG, an Oak Cask and all the little the little equipment to go along with it. I'm close...

Barley seems to be another unique part of the process but I think that I am going to try the Golden Promise and/or the Peated Malt from Brewhaus offered in 55lb or 5lb bags. I am planning on doing some experimentation first, but eventually hope to fill a 46L cask. Ambitious I know, but I am dedicated.

Rough estimates can be done for most of the process, yet I have been unable to find a water to barley ratio for making my mash. [COLOR=""Blue""]One[/COLOR]; Is there an optimum amount of Liters to weight ratio for each type? Is this just a dumb newbie question?

[COLOR=""Blue""]Two[/COLOR]; What kind of volume of Malted Barley Extract should I use per 25L to compensate for not using sugar? I have both Spray Malt and Syrup.

I hope to try both methods but in the end I want as pure a process as I can get so the raw malted Barley itself is what I am more interested in.

[COLOR=""Blue""]Three[/COLOR]; Has anyone fermented large quantities of Mash in an old oak Cask (250L)? I got the idea from some distilleries in Scotland that have huge wooden fermentation tanks. (Hoping this will help in the process to fill a 46L Cask)

Three questions from a new hobby distiller....insight, ideas and recommendations are always appreciated on my quest to making a uniquely Canadian Single Malt!"
Offline tikisteve  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2008 10:10:06 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

Groups: Registered

"I made a wheat vodka from this recipe that brewhaus has using this link. http://www.brewhaus.com/Instruc...s/Wheat-Vodka-Recipe.pdf
I later made a corn whisky and rye whisky using the same methods as described for the vodka recipe but just used different grains. It makes about 25 liters at about 8% to 10% abv. I have 2 fermenters so I usually do a double batch. All the amounts are listed and temps for when adding the malt for the conversion. Hope this helps.
Cheers!
TS"