logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:48:57 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

Groups: Registered

"I am really fond of scotches like the Glenlivit single malts and (even the blends like Chevas). Does anyone have any good recipes for it/them. Such as what grains, what yeast, what chips or kegs to age in, and such? or links to them?

I apologize up front if this has already been posted, but I swear I have looked in the forum and haven't seen much on this - lots of Jack daniels and Bourbon stuff, but not so much on scotch."
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:13:04 AM(UTC)
wineo

"Just use all 2 row malt,no sugar,and some peated malt{smoked}for scotch.
It wont yeild as much,so you will have to do 2 five gallon mashes or more to get enough wart to make it worth messing with.Also use the whiskey distillers yeast with AG from brewhaus."
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:23:39 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

Thank you sir, for the prompt and simple response, can't wait to try it.
Offline joe_r  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:00:18 PM(UTC)
joe_r

What percentage of golden promise to peated malt will yield a good smokey single malt in a 5-6 gallon batch? I will store it in a charred oak cask when i'm done. I currently have 10 lbs. of both golden promise and peated malt ready to go. I'm new to distilling so I just need a ballpark figure. I want to use 1 or both of these malts. I can run 2 batches if need be. I'm not looking for quantity but quality. Any other advice you can give a newbie will be appreciated. I recently made some ethanol
170 proof (neutral spirits) and the reflux still worked great. I really got into this for single malts. Thanks JOE
Offline mtnwalker2  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:20:14 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"I wish I could give you a definitive answer.

If you want a really good Scotch, I woould suggest going to new distillers.com and check out Harry's recipe for Glenmorangie clone in the files search. Another good resoarce would to post a question on the artisan distiller forum. Have yoou searched the recipes on here yet?

Wish I could help you more."
Offline joe_r  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:54:29 PM(UTC)
joe_r

Thanks. I'll look at these web sites to get some ideas. I know I can make the mash with golden promise alone
10-12 lbs. grain per 5 gallons of water. It's the smokey part I'm trying to get. This will be my first batch. I should just try a batch and taste it. Thanks again. JOE
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 2:33:39 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Joe, There is a recipe on new distillers for home made peatreak a smokey essence that a lot of distillers use. Especially if you like a more peated flavor like the Islay Scotches, since they require way more peating than you can purchase.

With your own essence you can add the smoke flavoring to match exactly your taste after you distill your malted."
Offline joe_r  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 10:26:55 AM(UTC)
joe_r

mtnwalker2 thanks. I'll probably go that route. Do you know the web address to new distillers. I tried to google it and couldn't find it. Thanks JOE
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:17:38 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"hi Joe, try this link..

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/

Its an open group and you don't have to join to view and search, but is still a good one for you to join anyhow. Do a search in the messages for peatreak and you will get lots of imfo. If no luck just ask the forum.

There was also talk there months ago, about doing a total seperate mash and run with total peated malt. Then, mix and combine to your individual taste. Scotches are so diverse in flavors, its hard to clone what you want from the outset. Thats why I like to be able to mix in increments after distilling.

And, of course, oaking and ageing are simular issues. So heres a tip. I really like a sherry oaked flavor. So I put my dark toasted oak in some premium Spanish sherry and let it age for several months. Filtered and dried the chips to age with. Saved the oaked sherry to augment flavor if needed.

I was almost able to clone some Scotch my son brought me from Scotland that is sherry barrel aged and is not exported at all. Made in some castle there.

One of the most enjoyable I have ever had. Actually, the most enjoyable.

Another thing you will find, when you really get good at the whole process, you will make a much better product than you can buy at the store, unless you are willing to pay mega bucks.

After you make the main fantastic brew, oaking and ageing with some breathing are key issue.

Lots of discussion on this issue at new_distillers.

Please keep us posted here, how it turns out."
Offline joe_r  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 02, 2009 12:28:26 AM(UTC)
joe_r

Got it. Thanks. It's interesting that you mentioned soaking the chips. I also purchased a premium 4L charred keg from brewhaus and after following the initial instructions on rehydrating, I poured about 1/2 bottle of port wine into it. That's been sitting the for about 1 month. Remember all of my equipment is brand spankin' new. I've got some medium toasted oak that I'll start soaking. I've read that some peated malt doesn't seem to be as strong as some would like. To make thing easier for me I'm just going to run 50/50 golden promise and peated mash just as part of my learning curve. Trust me... I have tons of buddies in our shooting club that would take it home and enjoy it! They're trying to get their hands on the moonshine I made a couple of weeks ago. Thanks JOE