logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline grubgoat  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2008 4:23:11 PM(UTC)
grubgoat

Groups: Registered

"Hello, I just finished my first run in probably 3 years - the last run I did, I put 140 proof into a 1-liter barrel from Thousand Oaks, and let it sit for a year. The final product was a *beautiful* rich amber color, and a little sip of it would spread warmth all thorugh your body - it was great!

But, 80% of it evaporated from the barrel in that time (though I followed the instructions for sealing), and the guy at Thousand Oaks wouldn't answer any questions, so this time I'm hoping for the same quality, but I'm using a 3-liter hermetically sealed jar and some chips I got from Brewhaus.

Here are my questions, I thank everyone in advance for any insight they could provide:

I've read that you can char the chips in your oven, is this correct?

For this batch, I'm using the Oak Stix, and I charred it with a lighter. I just mixed my product down to around 140 proof, and put ONE of the Stix in the jar with it. Will this be enough?

I've also read that some of you, using the chips, will have a finished whiskey in 30 days or so. I had been planning on letting the jar sit for a year or so, to get the ""depth"" that I had before. Waste of time?

Again, thanks in advance for any advice, guys!"
Offline flyboyz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 02, 2008 2:14:05 PM(UTC)
flyboyz

I pour a quart of 90% over a large double handful of oak chips which gets shaken every day or two. In thirty days there's a lot of color and some flavor. I use a half cup per fifth as one of the ingredients in turning neutral spirits into something drinkable. Then I add more 90% to replace what I've used.
Offline grubgoat  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2008 6:12:25 PM(UTC)
grubgoat

"Thank you for the reply.

I did what I should have done in the first place, which is try it out for myself, rather than ask on the 'net. What I found is, take two of the Oak Stix (charred) and put them in the hermetic jar that I use along with 140 proof. Perfect match. I've done two bottles of that, and each time I've gotten a sweet whiskey, somewhere in between Jack Daniel's and Southern Comfort. It smells so nice, one night I put some on my neck as a cologne.

Soon I will be experimenting with the charred chips themselves."
Offline Chasbo  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:45:04 PM(UTC)
Chasbo

I have been aging my corn whiskey on charred cherry wood. everyone seems to love it
Offline LWTCS  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:04:00 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"There are a couple of degrees of toasted and chared.

I soak my sticks in water for a day, then wrap in foil and place in the oven
350 for an hour or so.

Then I stick em in the fridge till I'm ready to alligator char em with the torch.

I typically use 1- 3/8 x 3/8 x 6"" stick per liter. It will take color quick
60 to 65%

Less oak, longer sleep time so the Gents tell me.

I'm lucky to let it sleep for a month.

I get mine lookin like this most of the time.

But it seems like I'm going full circle back to the white. Go figureBlushing"
LWTCS attached the following image(s):
Bottle-o-Shine.jpg (31kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline Twoeightnine  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 2:09:11 AM(UTC)
Twoeightnine

"LWTCS.

Did that bottle in the picture come out of the freezer?

Is tossing it in the freezer a ""breath in breath out"" method of curing?"
Offline LWTCS  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:38:14 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Not the freezer. Just the fridge.

Tried my hand at a little distress aging. Not sure I could qualify any measurable difference.

This particular bottle was kept cold for my drinking pleasure as I recall."
Offline Twoeightnine  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:03:14 AM(UTC)
Twoeightnine

"I see.
Well at least you can ""recall"". ;-)

I had read, I believe that it was Mr. Walker (as I like to refer) that had put some into the freezer or some such move. I figured that it was to simulate the temp changes that oak barrels go through during a multi year curring.

But the merits of ""barrel in the booze"" verses ""booze in the barrel"" seem obvious. I have also read that this practise is utilized by many manufactures of brandies and wines. So we are not reinventing the wheel per se.

I find it fascinating. Especially since Im a neutral spirit kinda guy.

Thanks Larry."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:00:43 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Indeed, the temp. swings increase ageing speed and quality. I just do this in the winter. Daily, I will set outside overnight when its cold, and bring in to a warm place dureing the day. Shake and aireate each move if possible.

I age at 125 proof till the couler is almost right. Then cut to 100proof for a while, then cut to 90 for a bit. Some of the flavors you want to extract are more soluble in water."
Offline 83634  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 10:00:42 AM(UTC)

"two charred oak strips on left with date bottled and one oak chip on the right with date bottled. 90 proof.

one on left is very smooth, seems to be about the right amount of aging

strips are lightly charred with a propane torch"
83634 attached the following image(s):
0612101549[1].jpg (29kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 10:55:09 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: 83634 Go to Quoted Post
two charred oak strips on left with date bottled and one oak chip on the right with date bottled. 90 proof.

one on left is very smooth, seems to be about the right amount of aging

strips are lightly charred with a propane torch

Only giveing you my .o2 cents worth.Ageing has 2 aspects. Well perhaps a few more. 1 is color. the deeper the char the faster color will form. Second, the higher the proof, the quicker you will draw out certain flavors. then lower proofs will draw out others that you might want for a well balanced blend. Shakeing, then open the toop to allow O2 in is a part of the process of ageing, though some do it with an air stone or simular toward the end. Charred strips work great, but have minuscle amounts of surface area to dark toasted chips. Both work great, but depends on your time frame. Toasted oak or apple or cherry, are easy to do in a well controlled grill, at certain temps, wrapped in al. foil or a can with a single hole to allow gasses out but no O2 in.There are graphs online that will give you toasting results/ temp. and time. You will get differnt flavors andquality in each gradient. Adjust to your own taste. Also speed if in a rush. Chips have a hundred times more surface are to interact with the spirit. Depends on your patientce? Just don't forget the aeriation also.."
Offline Mongoose  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:01:10 PM(UTC)
Mongoose

I have had very good luck using 1 oz. of med. toast American oak in 1 gallon of 55%. The toasted oak came from my local home brew shop (beer).
Offline div4gold  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:36:08 PM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Only giveing you my .o2 cents worth.Ageing has 2 aspects. Well perhaps a few more. 1 is color. the deeper the char the faster color will form. Second, the higher the proof, the quicker you will draw out certain flavors. then lower proofs will draw out others that you might want for a well balanced blend. Shakeing, then open the toop to allow O2 in is a part of the process of ageing, though some do it with an air stone or simular toward the end. Charred strips work great, but have minuscle amounts of surface area to dark toasted chips. Both work great, but depends on your time frame. Toasted oak or apple or cherry, are easy to do in a well controlled grill, at certain temps, wrapped in al. foil or a can with a single hole to allow gasses out but no O2 in.There are graphs online that will give you toasting results/ temp. and time. You will get differnt flavors andquality in each gradient. Adjust to your own taste. Also speed if in a rush. Chips have a hundred times more surface are to interact with the spirit. Depends on your patientce? Just don't forget the aeriation also..

That's some great advise. Good to see you back here, your knowledge is more than welcome."
Offline Mongoose  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 1:19:00 PM(UTC)
Mongoose

Good advice! I checked the price for American made med. toast 2.5 & 5 gal. barrels, $150 & $175. Cost and evaporation losses make gallon glass jugs worth considering and both get good results.
Offline div4gold  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 2:40:04 PM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: Mongoose Go to Quoted Post
Good advice! I checked the price for American made med. toast 2.5 & 5 gal. barrels, $150 & $175. Cost and evaporation losses make gallon glass jugs worth considering and both get good results.

The barrels make great dispensers as well as add to the flavor and atmosphere of an occasion. I don't use barrels for long term storage, glass for that. I have a display of 4 barrels but only use one as a dispenser."
Offline Robbie  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:01:34 AM(UTC)
Robbie

I put some toasted white oak chips in a pint for a week to see what would happen and it turned a beautiful color and had a great smell but it had a strong over powering oak after taste. Whats up with that. RT
Offline div4gold  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:01:25 AM(UTC)
div4gold

Originally Posted by: Robbie Go to Quoted Post
I put some toasted white oak chips in a pint for a week to see what would happen and it turned a beautiful color and had a great smell but it had a strong over powering oak after taste. Whats up with that. RT

You may have had too much oak for the volume. Experiment with less oak and and more volume.
Once you have used some oak, go ahead and use it again. The second time use it will have less of a impact on your whiskey. On the pint you already have, try letting it set overnight with the top off and see if that makes a difference. Or add some untreated whiskey to it.
Offline Mongoose  
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:35:15 AM(UTC)
Mongoose

"
Originally Posted by: Robbie Go to Quoted Post

I think you possibly had a bit too much for a pint. I used an ounce for a gallon and let it age for 9 months. Color in 3 days, one month not impressive, 3 months better, 6 months good, 9 months outstanding, 12 months gone...
I did 2 all grain batches as an experement, first was an all malt barley whiskey (scotch) with one lb. peat smoked malt barley (local beer shop), and the other was 60% flaked corn and 40% pale malt barley. I age in gllon glass jugs so I keep the Angels share, but toast them later. Both were worth making in big batches."
Offline sterlep  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:32:21 AM(UTC)
sterlep

Personally like chips-in-jar aged whiskey. Suggest you think twice before charring chips in oven as it will smell-up the house. "Safer" if done on outdoor grill. See: 'General Questions' 3/11/2012 submission for "Homemade Oak Aging Chips".
Offline Fritz The Cat  
#20 Posted : Monday, October 08, 2012 2:26:14 AM(UTC)
Fritz The Cat

I'm in the process of experimenting with oak chips. I've found that no matter how much you "Toast" them, the hooch still has an over powering woodsy taste. Currently I'm aging some in chips that I took a propane torch to and thoroughly blackened 100%. I don't care for the woodsy taste at all but at this point, I don't know if it gets better or worst with age.