logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jimcook  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:47:36 PM(UTC)
jimcook

Groups: Registered

"Hi all --

First-time distiller here, please be gentle. :)

I fermented my first 5-gallon batch using table sugar and Alcobase Extreme 23% Turbo Yeast. I distilled my first gallon in my new EasyStill (thanks, Brewhaus!) a bit too soon (before it had cleared completely; couldn't wait), and gave that to a neighbor. The next two gallons I distilled, filtered through carbon, then combined, distilled, and filtered again. I ended up with about 1.5 liters of 76% alcohol, with no discernible off-scents or flavors. From this, I made one each 80-proof, 750 ml bottle of vodka, tequila, and almond chocolate liquor, using Prestige essences. The problem is this: each of these finished products smells strongly of a bubble gum-like scent -- which is NOT something I think of when I think of vodka, tequila, or chocolate liquor. I wondered if the carbon could be imparting this scent, but it, too, smells only like residual alcohol. Could this scent be a staple of the Prestige essences? Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Any ideas will be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim"
Offline billybob  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:50:28 AM(UTC)
billybob

Interesting!

Only you can answer this I bet. What does your clear/raw spirit taste and smell like after the carbon filter process?

Other things.. How are you storing the clear spirit? In what?

Your filters?

Your bottles? Your caps/stoppers/corks? How do they smell?

I use prestige and of the whiskey, rum, gin and vodka I can say, have a very nice aroma but smell as they are supposed to. Except for the Vodka lol... I smell nothing there.

billybob
Offline Keith13b  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 10:29:54 AM(UTC)
Keith13b

Aruba

"
Originally Posted by: jimcook Go to Quoted Post
The problem is this: each of these finished products smells strongly of a bubble gum-like scent -- which is NOT something I think of when I think of vodka, tequila, or chocolate liquor. I wondered if the carbon could be imparting this scent, but it, too, smells only like residual alcohol. Could this scent be a staple of the Prestige essences? Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Jim,

I've been around a few years and never registered. Just used the site to learn. But I felt compelled to respond to your post. I'm right there with you. I have bought every scotch essence out on the market, and they all ruin my spirit. Every one is WAY TOO SWEET. I bought expensive essences, cheap essences, the best thing for me was to take the raw spirit, add a bit of glycerine, and toss in a few lightly toasted and heavy toasted oak chips into the jar and let it sit for a month. It doesn't take many chips - like 7-10 tiny chips of each. Tastes a million times better.

I keep reading all the ratings on the essences. Some get 5*'s. I call BS. I've used them. They do nothing to make it tast like the real thing. Easy evidence is to just smell the raw essence. Smells like your bubblegum; doesn't it?

The only thing I can think of is a few bad batches of essences; but I've bought mine over time from different vendors. Who knows. Maybe someone will make a good esence that doesn't taste like candy.

Good luck."
Offline jimcook  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 03, 2008 6:23:35 AM(UTC)
jimcook

"The only other part of the distillation process where I get the bubble-gum scent is from a freshly-opened bottle of essence. Nevertheless, I have begun to think that the smell in question is/was heightened by distilling before the wash had cleared completely. I fermented five gallons, and used part of the first gallon (distilled in the EasyStill) for a 750-ml bottle of tequila; it was very bubble-gummy. A week later, I distilled the 4th and 5th gallons, noticing that the wash was much clearer. From that, I made up another bottle of tequila last night; while it does still have traces of bubble gum, I believe that comes from the essence, and it is not an overwhelming scent. And I must say, for tequila, this is very, very smooth at 80 proof.

I'll be starting another 5-gallon batch in a few days, and will attempt to be much more patient, to see how much of a difference that makes.

Cheers!"