logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kayakalex@insightbb.com  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:30:07 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

Groups: Registered

"Im running my first wash of sugar and turbo 48 this week, im looking ahead and want to flavor with oak chips, can someone help me with the process of using the chips?

Thanks
Kayakalex"
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2008 3:59:27 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"Well....how about some help where I might find this information?

Kayakalex"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2008 7:22:09 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: kayakalex
insightbb.com Go to Quoted Post
Im running my first wash of sugar and turbo 48 this week, im looking ahead and want to flavor with oak chips, can someone help me with the process of using the chips?

Thanks
Kayakalex

Useing oak with neutral isn't really going to give you a real whiskey, but will be good experiance. It was for me.

First, cut to 60 ABV and fill container about 2/3 full. Shake occasionally, and open the lid for fresh air, and then reshake. When you start getting some nice color and smell, dilute to 50% and continue the shakeing and air. then dilute to 40% and repeat. Time of each, is relative to your taste, how much oak chips were used, the amount of toast, or char. For your first attempts, I would do several jars, each with different amounts of whatever oak you are useing, or mixtures, and see what you like as the final result.

As you do this, keep in mind how each would flavor a raw whiskey, brandy, or other flavored product. Its a good learning tool to find what will be most to your tast.

In reply to your other post ""what is meant by fast and dirty"", usually will be in connection to a stripping run, collecting everything, and running it as fast as your still is capable of, without pukeing, or too fast for your condensor to handle. Lots of cold water."
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2008 11:47:37 AM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"Thanks mtnwalker2, yea I understand about it not being real whiskey, I just want to experiment with different flavors. I thought I would try something different with one jar from each batch. Plus, as you pointed out, its good experience ( I need a lot of experience). For now I have a reflux column on a 15 gal. keg, but I plan on building a pot still once I get some time on my reflux. Also would you mind one more question? What I do with the wash thats left in the boiler after I have made my cuts? and how much watter do I add to the product from a stripping run, so I can make the final run? oops! that was two questions........

Thanks again
Kayakalex"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2008 1:10:45 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: kayakalex
insightbb.com Go to Quoted Post
Thanks mtnwalker2, yea I understand about it not being real whiskey, I just want to experiment with different flavors. I thought I would try something different with one jar from each batch. Plus, as you pointed out, its good experience ( I need a lot of experience). For now I have a reflux column on a 15 gal. keg, but I plan on building a pot still once I get some time on my reflux. Also would you mind one more question? What I do with the wash thats left in the boiler after I have made my cuts? and how much watter do I add to the product from a stripping run, so I can make the final run? oops! that was two questions........

Thanks again
Kayakalex

For an nuetral or sugar wash, after stripping or running out the tails, dump the stillage. On top of compost is great.

I use propa;ne instead of electric elements, so I don't add water. Some really advocate diluteing to 40% regardless. I don't bother. I also use a keg as a boiler, and save up enough low wines, ie the fast and dirty, no cuts first distillation, till I have a full load for the final run. Not necessary to do, just saves a lot of time and energy, and I soak the low wines with some bakeing soda. Several tbs per gallon. Makes it seem a lot cleaner outcome to me duri;ng the final run.

Can't remember what form of column you are useing, but many, detuned make great pot stills. I use mine as such all the time."
#6 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2008 4:33:05 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"That helps tie it all togather, thanks. I dont have a finished picture, but here are some of it before complete. The column is 2""x42"" and I also use propane, the column has two copper scrubbers at the bottom and then filled up with rasching rings. I thought I would make a shorter one without the cooling tubes through the column for a pot still, any thoughts?

Thanks
Kayakalex

[IMG]http://IMG_0192[/IMG]"
#7 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2008 4:36:51 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Building Reflux Still\2007_12_29
Offline billybob  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 4:07:15 PM(UTC)
billybob

"Kayakalex

A little late on the reply but I add a 1 inch long by maybe a 1/4 square peice of charred red oak to each and every bottle of bourbon or whisky I make. It may have even been mtnwalker2 that advised me that it will make a WORLD of difference in essence style mixes if I do this and let it blend properly. Mix the essence, add a peice of lightly charred oak and shake... let sit for 2 days, shake and open to air for a day (or afternoon). Repeat the shake and air process for a total 3 times then shelf it for a bit. Each bottle of essence-made whisky really picks up a notch! The premium esences are good but that adds a touch of class to it! People love the sour mash essence made with this technique.

note: When I char the oak stick, the entire stick is toasted but the bottom 3/4 of it starts to just turn black ever so slightly then I drop it directly in to the bottle - smoke and all.

billybob"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:35:55 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"BillyBob,

For a really great scotch or other essence, here is something you might like.

Fill a jar with your toasted oak chips or sticks. Cover with some really good cream sherry. Let marinate several weeks. Strain off and dry the oak. Reserve the liquid. Add some of those to your essence or homemade scotch, Irish or others that would benefit. Like some brands that are aged in used sherry casks. Really premium.

You can then add a touch of the oaked sherry if necessary.

This works good with rum also."