logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kayakalex@insightbb.com  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2008 5:50:42 AM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

Groups: Registered

I am finishing my reflux still and have started my sugar and turbo 48 wash. My question is: how long can I let the wash set after it has finished fermenting? I made a change to my plans and now have to wait on parts, it may be another two weeks before I can run the still.
Offline john01  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:45:25 PM(UTC)
john01

"So I've been told. 1st batch I did I tryed to do it too soon after fermentation and got lots of floaties in my product. 2nd time I let it sit 3 weeks after bubbling stopped & it cleared up nice and distilled really clean.

John"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:56:32 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

This time of year, where I am at, I will set the finished ferment outside and let the cold knock down the yeast. I have even taken out a couple of quarts of pure ice slush, which concentrates my wash. Bring it into warmth and it will settle quickly. Otherwise I use sparkaloid, which gets me ready in 24 hours or less.
#4 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2008 3:35:24 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

Hey thanks for the info, that helps. I finished my still today (parts got here quick) I need to get a connection for the LP tank, so I should be ready for a test run later this week with "water only". I now understand letting the wash set for a few weeks is a good thing, but should I wait for the wash to clear/sparkolloid before running it through the still? Or does it make a differance?
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:31:43 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"Should I wait for the wash to clear/sparkolloid before running it through the still? Or does it make a differance?

Kayakalex"
Offline billybob  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:40:50 AM(UTC)
billybob

"
Originally Posted by: kayakalex
insightbb.com Go to Quoted Post
Should I wait for the wash to clear/sparkolloid before running it through the still? Or does it make a differance?

Kayakalex

Going through my first batch my self and doing a little experimenting. It was in the mid 30's all day yesterday and in to the night. So I let the wash sit out for a good 16 hours to chil and clear. Brought it back inside and let it sit for another 16 hours or so. It started to clear at the top 3 or 4 inches but man is that a sloooooow process.

Now, patience is a virtue in this as I have read, but I have absolutely none :)

Really I wanted to see how soon/well the cold/warm cycle would clear. It will indeed take a good 2 or 3 days. So I decided this morning to stir in the hot sparkaloid. Now lets see how well that does.

According to my readings I got about 11% out of a 14% turbo so I am satisfied with my first wash percentage.

I don't drink much so to me this is all about the fun. Although I hear that this finished produce may change that a bit Wink

So for me, a simple sugar blend, once its done, clear it and move on. Next I will do a cracked corn addition and that way I can distill 2 types with one wash (I hope).

billybob"
#7 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 3:02:18 AM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"Thanks billybob, I set it outside last night, its around 7deg here in southern Indiana, Ill check it this evening when I get home. So, it starts clearing once it warms back up? And does ""clearing"" make any differance to the final product? Mine is milky looking and I can see stuff on the bottom of the bucket.

Kayakalex"
Offline billybob  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 8:04:13 AM(UTC)
billybob

"
Originally Posted by: kayakalex
insightbb.com Go to Quoted Post
Thanks billybob, I set it outside last night, its around 7deg here in southern Indiana, Ill check it this evening when I get home. So, it starts clearing once it warms back up? And does ""clearing"" make any differance to the final product? Mine is milky looking and I can see stuff on the bottom of the bucket.

Kayakalex

Note: if you get ice, simpley remove it since alcohol doesn't freeze.

I read that the difference int temp, since it is alchohol and water will cause a faster clearing. Most say it has to be crystal clear. Here is what happened to me after my 2 tests.

** But before that, I hear that a clear run makes a world of differenct so I will try to wait it out.

As mentioned above, cold/warm had no quick effect. Having little patience I moved on to sparkaloid after the mash was at room temp for a good 20 hours.

Still not settled completely, even with sparkaloid. However, it DID settle it to a point where it is cloudy and not noticable particles floating.

So, I siphoned off the cloudy portion (wash) leaving the heavy mash (about an inch) behind. The new bucket is now sitting where it is settling VERY slow once again.

All in all, It has been ""settling"" for 4 days. This is not what I expected for a sugar mash and sparkaloid. So I either get to sparkaloid again or am forced to be patient Sad

All the time my still is sitting in the corner whispering to me (fire me up!).

On a good note, I now have an empty mash bucket begging to be used again Wink

billybob"
Offline billybob  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 8:26:23 AM(UTC)
billybob

"On another note... can anyone here tell me if the wash is cloudy because of my tap water since the majority of the wash is indeed water?

It can't be described as milky - its just not that dense. I can semi see through it.

I realize that after the final cut adding tap water or even filtered water may cloudy it up a bit. That doesn't concern me since I will ad essence to it. It won't be an issue.

billybob"
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:54:29 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"I have the wash back inside now after being out for about 20hrs. It's been inside 18 hrs now, and has cleared about 4 inches down from the top. I don't have anything floating and the settlement on the bottom is about 3/8"". I guess Ill give it a few days and can always take it back out for another overnight. In the mean time, I have run my still with water, made a few changes, but overall I'm pleased how it went.

Two questions: what are others using for water hoses running the condenser? And what size pump are others using? My pump is 800gph and I had to clamp the outlet hose to slow it down enough to regulate the cooling. I think it is too big? And the hoses I'm using collapsed from the heat of the condenser? Any help on these?

Thanks everyone
Kayakalex"
Offline tikisteve  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 11:04:40 PM(UTC)
tikisteve

"After your wash settles, siphon it into another container and then add your sparkaloid, it should clear up better and have the look of a white wine.

The question about the cooling hose's, go to www.brewhaus.com, they have heavy duty clear hoses that can handle the heat also they have a submersable water pump and any other things you may need. Rick at Brewhaus is really great with answering any questions you may have.
Cheers!
TS"
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:32:45 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"Thanks Tikisteve, I went on and ordered hoses from Brewhaus, and will xfur the wash tonight. Tomorrow night or so, Ill add the sparkaloid to finish clearing. Also, I ran my still again (with water), and I think I can pinch the hose off enough to do what I need with this pump, if not?? Ill get another from brewhaus.

Thanks again
Kayakalex"
Offline wineo  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:42:06 PM(UTC)
wineo

As long as you have an airlock on it,you can leave it for a long time,but make sure to rack it off the sediment first because the sediment will cause off flavors if you leave it in there for an extended amount of time.
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:56:54 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"Thanks wineo, thats the kind of detail I need. I have learned a lot reading all the different post, but I have a looooong way to go.

Thanks
Kayakalex"