logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cruspeed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:08:06 AM(UTC)
cruspeed

Groups: Registered

"I'm making a still and want some input on it from people with experience. Kettle is going to be a full sized stainless beer keg. The colum, condenser and quick connects are 304 SS and the vapor line is 316 Food grade SS. If the colum looks like it will work, should it be packed to the top of the colum condenser or below it? The quick connects may seem like overkill on both ends, but I want to be able to run an un-packed colum or change out the condenser to a reflux return with splitter valves. I would also be able to change out the stack and condenser to a different kettle. Is a flow control valve for the stack condenser a better way to run the cooling?

UserPostedImage

Please be honest, that's a few hours for fabrication for me. Any tips that would save me time would be great!"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:34:12 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Welcome Cruspeed.

Not an expert so can only give you my thoughts on it. First, I would definately lengthen your condenser. When doing stripping runs and pot still runs, it is often a very limiting factor in the speed you would be able to run.

Are u useing a 3"" column, otherwise, why the 2X3 reducer? I run a 3"" column so I also have a 2"" from the keg to 3"" for the column. If useing a 3"" column, I would use no less than 24"" condenser.

How are you going to run cooling water to the reflux coils in the column? I would use some copper mesh packed around the reflux coils. Looks like it could work well for you. I would also consider ss scrubbers instead of rashig rings, but thats just me.

keep us posted on your venture."
Offline cruspeed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:48:14 AM(UTC)
cruspeed

I've got the 3" x 2" reducer because the keg I am using for originaly for a gas tank. I've already put the filler neck and cap on the tank and for me to remove that to reuse it, I was going to have to cut a large hole - that's why I've got a reducer. I've only got a 2" stack (it's really 2 1/8" I.D.), I didn't want to spend alot on my first still untill I figure out what works best for me. Iv'e already ordered some raschig rings from brewhaus, but only 1L. I doubt that will be enought to fill the stack so I may pack the rest as you advised. As for cooling I was going to use a high flow submersible in a cooler with water and ice. Maybe rock salt to get the temp as low as I can. I guess I'm going to have to drill a hole in the stack and silver solder the copper to the SS, and make sure it's sealed off good. An alternative is going to the auto-parts store and getting about 3 feel of steel brake line and use that for coils, what do you think would work better?
Offline cruspeed  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2008 9:59:37 AM(UTC)
cruspeed

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post

How are you going to run cooling water to the reflux coils in the column? I would use some copper mesh packed around the reflux coils. Looks like it could work well for you. I would also consider ss scrubbers instead of rashig rings, but thats just me.

keep us posted on your venture.

what about stainless steel muffler packing for the colum and copper mesh around the reflux condeser?"
Offline cruspeed  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 3:34:54 AM(UTC)
cruspeed