logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2004 10:36:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I ran the first batch of sugar and turbo yeast using the amazing still and came out with a good clear product. Problem is, it tastes funny. Ran it thru a charcoal filter and still tastes funny. It's not very strong either. Any sugestions?? ,store bought cheap stuff tastes better,
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2004 12:21:49 PM(UTC)

I use the 48 hour turbo Yeast and 35 cups of sugar. It makes a mash about 20% then put it in the Amazing Still and 36 Hours later I get a great tasting high octane hooch. I dont know what you did wrong. I dont even have to filter.
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2004 12:56:56 PM(UTC)

You are the first I heard of trying the amazing still, I have a reflux still and use sugar and the 48 turbo. I bought the still and the 6' carbon tower and have about 30 runs done so far. The end product dose taste like nothing on the market. I have aquired a taste for it. It is smooth considering I mix it with water to 120 proof before I run it through the carbon tower. My tower is 1 1/2' by 6'. I have to clean it every 10 runs. In case you don't know how to clean it, all you do is put the carbon on sheet pans in the oven for 2 hours at 300F It burns off the fuccial oils off that the carbon collects. There are about 300 different ones and can't be good for you. Do you have something to measure the proof? I had to put about $800.00 into everthing I have that will need to make my own for another 6 months and the home still has paid for itself. I drink about 70 cents per day. I start my 375ml off about 8:00PM.I get a nice buzz for a few hours and head to bed.
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2004 10:08:06 PM(UTC)

What temp do you run the amazing still? Tell me more about the heater. Thanks mrnrtdy
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2004 10:14:02 PM(UTC)

Now I do know how to clean the charcoal. THANKS! How much does it take for the 6' foot filter? What do you recommend for testing the proof? Thanks again, now I'm getting somewhere. mrnrtdy
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2004 12:59:15 PM(UTC)

Mrnrtdy, I am glad I helped you understand how this hobby works. I am thinking you have not read any books because the cleaning of the carbon is in any basic book on distilling. To fill a 6' by 1 1/2' column with carbon, It is the same size as they sell at this site. You make the column from PVC pipe. On the top you use an 1 1/2' to 3' adapmtor and run it up another 6' to give you a pool to keep adding, it takes me about 15 mins. to run my 1.3 gallons in the top of it and about an hour to get most of it out the bottem. I use 3 coffee filters and a screw ring to hold the carbon up. Another tip would be to boil your carbon first and get what you can out of it, the powder. Boil and drain off a few times. I could on and on with this but you can get all the info and gear to get started where I did. The man I bought my gear from canada and has a web site that is the first site listed in a google seach on distilling.
If you have $600.00 to invest, it will pay itself off in time. I went from buying a 375ml 100 proof ,beacuse 375 is my limit, at $5.00 per night to 120 proof at about 70 cents per night...
It paid itseld off in about 5 months and I have enough yeast for 9 months to come because I took advantage of their 25 pack. I only have to cook every 12 days or so. If you go looking there, I suggest the Large refluxe still and the duluxe starter kit that will give you what you need to make a good run first time. Let me know how you make out.
#7 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2005 6:22:08 PM(UTC)

What kind of carbon do you use? Can you use the powdered charcoal that is used in fish tanks ,available at pet shops, etc.,, or is this something that is harder to get? This is usually sold in small jars of about 1/2 pint or a little more. How much ,of these jars, charcoal do you put into the 6 foot tower you described?
Finally, does anyone actually know anything about fermenting corn? I have questions, but no answers!
'Spirit Maker'
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 08, 2005 2:47:00 AM(UTC)

Be very careful with carbon intended for your fish tank- it can have a lot of undesirable compounds. It is not necessarily considered food grade. Also, of the many ,literally hundreds, of liquid phase carbons, only a few ,likely less than 10, will work with alcohol.