logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline john01  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:00:19 PM(UTC)
john01

Groups: Registered

"I bought some of the stone carbon from Brewhaus. My plan is to put some in the jar of 50%

Question is how much carbon to put in a 1 quart jar of 50% neutral and how long to keep it there for the best result?

Thanks"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:58:28 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"John, o1.

This is the way I do it and its fantastic. Volume realy depends on your need and speed. Its reusable many times so no real loss. I use a half bag full to a 5 gal batch dilured to 50% in a 6.5 gal carboy. Depending on how fast you want results with a gallon, first I would dilute down to whatever drinking strength I would finally want, let sit for a week to marry an;d do what it does, then add as much carbon after washing and prepareing for use as I didn't have further use for. Its there to absorb shit stuff, the more the faster. Depends on your end product also. Volume of carbon in this type of filter is relative to speed. give it all you can give it. Talking days to weeks here. Your choice."
Offline john01  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:11:56 PM(UTC)
john01

"You mention washing the carbon... Is the stuff I bought from brewhaus ready to go as is & just dump it in or is there some preparation needed. The description say virgin activated stone carbon.

John"
Offline john01  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 5:21:39 AM(UTC)
john01

"Alot of the reading I've done says to rinse the carbon or wash it first. I just went ahead & dumped a 1/4 cup into a 1 quart jar without first rinsing or washing. Should I scrap it?

Whats the best procedure for washing virgin activated carbon like Brewhaus sells.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

John01"
Offline just_me  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:15:55 AM(UTC)
just_me

down load gert stroms file on carbon. you will find it near the bottom of brewhaus's home page on the left hand side.
Offline Keith13b  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 10:36:01 AM(UTC)
Keith13b

Aruba

"
Originally Posted by: john01 Go to Quoted Post
Alot of the reading I've done says to rinse the carbon or wash it first. I just went ahead & dumped a 1/4 cup into a 1 quart jar without first rinsing or washing. Should I scrap it?

Whats the best procedure for washing virgin activated carbon like Brewhaus sells.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

John01

No, its fine. We rinse the carbon to remove the powder. If you have some floating, just wipe it off. It won't hurt you. Some people put the carbon in a filter and have a coffee filter on the bottom. The powder from the carbon will just clog the paper filter quicker. Just a nuisance; thats all.

Best way to rinse; for me, is to put the carbon in a big jar - add at least twice as much water. Shake, stir, than tap it down. Pour off the powder on the top then ""pour"" the wet carbon into my filter. The water naturally drains out. When its done dripping the water - add the spirit. Keep in mind this if for a ""flow through"" type carbon filter. Not what you are intending to do."