logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline firefly263  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:03:59 AM(UTC)
firefly263

Groups: Registered

"Hi....I already have the regular PSII and been distilling at about 5ml/min
so was wondering if the would be a big difference with the High Capacity..

Anyone have the HC that can provide some numbers as to the flow rate per minute???"
Offline firefly263  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 12:48:14 AM(UTC)
firefly263

hellooo....anybody here BigGrin
Offline mtnwalker2  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:05:17 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Firefly,

I thought I covered that pretty closely aroung the 20th when you asked for the comparison?
But again, I get at least a gallon/hr of 94%+ during the hearts run. I run it much slower than that for the heads, till I make the cut. Then speed things up. See the earlier post for more details. Or ask again if something wasn't clear."
Offline firefly263  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:01:49 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"sorry bout that walker.....
4 litres an hourOhMyGod
I cant get that in 13 hours!!!!!!!
Just trying to justify spending another 350$ when I just spent the same amout for the PSII
I guess I just need some reassuring before I go ahead and buy it.....

Thanks again walker.....i'll stay low profile now....:)"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 11:06:24 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Fireflly,

No need to remain low key or low profile. I tried to explain in that earlier post, that it only took me between 6 and 7 hours to achieve a high percentage with my PS II pro for neutral results. That was for 25 L of stripped wash, which took only 5 hours or so full run stripping. I would do enough stripping runs to have enough for a spirit run. Much time and energy saved, and one heck of a lot better end product. Also see what was said about bakeing soda, or calcium carbonate addition to the strippings. Once you learn to adjust the water flow, temp of the water, and heat applied to boiler, you can do as well as any 2"" still. Just takes knowing and watching it. If speed quality, and patience are an issue, was for me, go for the high capacity.

I have gravity spring water, very cold, so your results will vary. Also, I use propane, so I can control heat very well. I think I remember you also use propane. Takes quite a few runs to learn and adjust. You control take off with water flow and temp to the head of your coulumn. You keep the heat as high as possible while not flooding or pukeing into your column, especially at the outset. With this column, it is more imperative to control with temp changes than others. You don't need to worry about exact temps as much as when the stabalize and remain constant. Up to you that that happens.

Takes close monitering, especially for the first dozen or more runs, but then you learn her ways. Best to moniter something like this closely anyway. Kaboom. You can do great with practice and much quicker. I love my HC and wouldn't trade it for anything- non human anyhow. Does a great job for me, and now that I have all the perks figured, I am always sure of the results."
Offline firefly263  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 12:50:29 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"Thanks again walker.....and yes I do use propane....I guess I just need some more time to experiment with it....
Im still overwhelmed with the 4L/hour...that's like over 60ml/min......while the regular PSII get 10-15ml/min

Just curious(dont remember if i've alrady asked) if you simply do a spirit run without any stripping.....what would your output be??? Im guessing that the 60ml/min is after doing several stripping runs....correct???

walker....I think I will be getting the HC.....I just can't take the 12-14 hours for only 3L.......BigGrin"
Offline c hardy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:46:37 AM(UTC)
c hardy

"Hello all.
This will be my first post here. I have been researching this hobby quite a bit though and getting ready to make all of the first big purchases.
I would like to ask some more questions on the PSII HC. to me it seems to be the model to get. The much less run time and all is a big factor for getting this more expensive one.
I'm presently serving overseas to assist Operations in Afghanistan, and would like to order all of the kit to have it there to start upon my return / recuperation.
It comes with Copper in stead of Rashig rings, Why.
In most peoples opinion is the extra cost worth it ?
If building one's own ""Large colum"" still would they work as well as this model / better ?
What if any would be better ?
I guess more general opinion.
If this model is discussed more in depth somewhere, Please point me there. As I said i'm new. so please go easy.
Thanks.

C Hardy."
Offline biskitman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:11:25 AM(UTC)
biskitman

Like Mtnwalker I get about 1 gallon per hour or 1 quart every 15 minutes with a steady stream with the HC model. With the 2 inch column I got about 1 quart every 30-45 minutes and took 4-5 hours for a run. With 3 inch column I do complete run in 2-3 hours with a 1 hour approximate heat up. Product comes out at 90% or so.
Offline W.O.T.  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 10:50:42 AM(UTC)
W.O.T.

"Wow. A complete run in 3 hours. I am amazed. I have been running mine for a while now and it takes me 5 hours every time.

Last week with the cold weather took me almost 2 hours to get up to heat, and done running tails at the 5 hour mark. I would love to get 4L an hour, I get a bout half that at 90%.

Once I get it to boil I can turn the heat right down, and even with controlling the water flow to the column I still get 2L per hour."
Offline LWTCS  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 1:40:50 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"C. hardy

Recon the copper packing offers more surface area for more effective reflux.

Plus you will need copper in the vapor path for better spirits.

Copper can remove some of the sulfer nasties which will result in a better product.

Recon you could build a comparably designed unit.

The nicely done units on this site are tried and true.

I think more research and evaluation are in order

Start here:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/...rum.php?f=17&start=0

and here:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/...rum.php?f=16&start=0"
Offline Twoeightnine  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:33:28 AM(UTC)
Twoeightnine

"Howdy.
I have the PSII HC also.
Before the last run I did two things different.
I switched to copper packing from rashig rings. And the other was using stripping runs.
I will say this, either the copper or the stripped wash (or both) made the unit run faster and tighter.
Now, Im not saying that you have to, but I will be doing a dilute and filter pass on my recent product and then run it again for the final high proof.
I venture a guess that it will run quick and clean.

Imagine your still pot full of 14% ABV wash, and then later running a 50% ABV. The higher % ABV simply starts vaporizing faster and more affective."
Offline LWTCS  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:20:47 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"
Originally Posted by: Twoeightnine Go to Quoted Post
Howdy.
I will say this, either the copper or the stripped wash (or both) made the unit run faster and tighter.
Now, Im not saying that you have to, but I will be doing a dilute and filter pass on my recent product and then run it again for the final high proof.
I venture a guess that it will run quick and clean.

Imagine your still pot full of 14% ABV wash, and then later running a 50% ABV. The higher % ABV simply starts vaporizing faster and more affective.

+1

Strip fast and hard to shed some water to short'n your spirit run time."