logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline john01  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2007 12:30:52 PM(UTC)
john01

Groups: Registered

"Can I distill my unwanted wines in a column reflux still to create a neutral?

I have a couple 2 gallon batches of Dandelion wine and a batch of Rhubarb wine I made and really didn't like the taste...

How about if i wanted to try & distill without packing would it retain some of the flavor & smell?

john"
Offline brewzz  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2007 12:48:49 PM(UTC)
brewzz

you can do that without removing packing...just run it a little faster and open the valve more...
Offline john01  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 7:16:42 AM(UTC)
john01

"When you say to run a little faster, do you mean less cooling flow & more temp? I'm not sure I get the whole process as far as running fast or slow

I have a column type reflux unit The only valve I have is to control the cooling water flow?

Although I don't like the wines taste I think as a brandy it'll be just right but I don't want to strip the flavor by refluxing."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 10:25:32 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"If everthing is SS I would remove all packing except one copper roll. No cooling water to reflux, as I assume you are useing vapor management? Anyhow eliminate reflux as much as possible. Insulate the column wery well, and run it as fast as your condensor can handle it. If you get high enough ABV to suit you after makeing good cuts, enjoy. If too weak, run again, same scenario. Makes for fast runs.

PS. If your column is copper, use no packing at all.

The other John"
Offline john01  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 1:27:24 PM(UTC)
john01

"I've got it running now with no packing. However the vapor temp just keeps climbing if I don't run cooling water. Should I be trying to maintain the 78 to 80 deg. C range or just letting it go?

John"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 3:03:40 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Yehaw! Yup, its a total different animal than reflux. Still it will take some training and testing. What you want to do is collect one of two options. Very slow with low heat input, make good cuts, and thats your end product if you are totally happy. However, for the novice, and by that I mean until you have run enough runs that you really understand the balance of the cuts, and how you still and you yourself operate, do a stripping run, and then redo a spririt run. Then, if its not to your likeing do a third. Be aware, every time you run it again, you will lose some flavor. So, in all your practice runs, try to run as fow times as possible for the flavor, yet the percentage ABV.

Thats a balance you will have to learn for your own taste. At least you cannot make a mistake this way, as you can always redo. If too bad, you can make vodka. Never a waste."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 3:13:58 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Sorry, I don't think I answered the question. Yes you will have higher temps doing a pot still run. Don't let it run so fast as to flood or puke into the column, or so fast your condensor can't handle it. Othet than that, forget the temps. Actually, keep a record of them for your future use. Use taste and smell, and on first runs be severe. You can reuse the feints, so no loss. Cut hard on first runs.

enjoy."
Offline john01  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 3:23:47 PM(UTC)
john01

"I ended up minding the temperature around 78 to 80 & got a good 3/4 of a quart out of 3 gallons of a weak dandelion wine.

Came out at 85%

took 20ml & cut with 20ml of distilled water to take a quick taste, very sweet and interesting flavor but kind of funky smell. Now is this considered Brandy because it was distilled from wine?

I've got a rhubarb wine that I'm gonna distill I'll take your advice & forget the temps next time.

Thanks to everyone who answers questions here, hopefully I can share some knowledge some day.

John"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 3:57:30 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Here is what you really want to learn to do. I learned this from Wineo, and it is crucial to makeing final cuts. Get a bunch of beer bottles and mark them. Take off in small increments, and let air for overnight or 24 hours coverd with a coffee filter or piece therof. Dilute each bottle at start till happy with taste and smell, then the back end, tails, til again happy. Combine all the interim botlles, and check for tast. Add heads or tails as needed, but shouldn't be neccessary.

This is how to make your best cuts. I use this collecting 6 or so oz. till I am sure I am into hearts, then the same when I am entering tails. Haveing kept a chart, I can eliminate a lot of that work, but it was worth it to learn."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2007 4:06:27 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Also understand, no brandy or whiskey is perfect right out of the still. It need to mellow, and age. On oak for some, and just to live for a while for others.
Lots of posts about ageing on oak, or just aireing, shakeing, or letting it sit etc. It can improve a 100% given a small bit of time. Thats part of the craft."
Offline Alchemist  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2007 12:06:44 AM(UTC)
Alchemist

"Here is a link with some info on the subject.

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/r.petrinus/spirwine-e.htm"
Offline john01  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2007 10:32:28 AM(UTC)
john01

Should it age at full strength or cut down?