logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline firefly263  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:33:24 AM(UTC)
firefly263

Groups: Registered

"Just got my PS II and did a 1st run
Did a 25L neutral sugar wash using a propane burner (PS II is fully insulated)

After 12 hours of distilling...I collected almost 3L of 90%.....Being alone in my garage and freezing....I shut everything down cause I had enough....OhMyGod

SO ...if I switch to the 1500W hotplate....would that speed things up a little (no more freezing in garage)....would cost 120$
OR

would it be better to switch my column for the high capacity at 220$

Maybe I should have gotten the high capacity to begin with but hey....I'll learn from my mistakes.....

Any advice.....:)"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:59:14 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"I have one of each of those columns, and its like night and day difference. I use propane and do fast stripping runs 3 of them, then a spirit run.

You would need the $350 package and more heat to switch. It is much faster, and much higher % ABV.

First, you might get some 3 1/2"" fiberglass insulation, foil faced or none, and insulate all of the pot cept the bottom, and the coulmn also. This will cut your time dramatically, and improve quality."
Offline firefly263  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:11:56 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"walker, I wrapped my Ps II from top to bottom.....came real nice too!!

can you give an estimate as to the time difference between the 2 columns...

if you put both in identical situations.....how much faster would the high capacity be???

:)"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:45:34 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"I never use the PS II anymore. I originally bought it for my sister, who decided it wasn't her thing. I ran it a few times, but set it aside.

So can really only give you my results for the High Capacity. I am at higher altitude so maybe a bit faster than some.

I can do a full stripping run of 50L down to around 15% ABV at finish, in 3 1/2 hours, light up to cutoff. Useing propane and cold spring water for cooling.

A spirit run, with any added heads and tails of all the prior strippings will take me from 5 1/2hours to 7. Depending on the accumalated volume i started with, how closely I monitor and adjust it all. Thats light up till shutoff. I get 94+ for the hearts. I also run at complete reflux for a while at start, and then take the heads off slow. I get a good gallon per hour for the hearts run.

Thats for my neutrals. Makes a good and fast pot distiller also.

Hope that gives you some perspective. Everyone's results vary."
Offline firefly263  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:04:35 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"OhMyGod..... 7 hours...that's really sweet......
that's like doing it in half the amount of time for me.....

Another 350$.....gonna think about it......

Thanks again walker...BigGrin"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:46:18 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"That was with about 50L in a beer keg for those times.

But honestly, 12 hours is way too long for the PS II, esp with propane. I remember it being more like 6 to 7 for a 25 L run.

Did you check the TG to see if it was completly fermented? Below 1.000? What was your original ABV?

I am thinking more heat and adjust the flow and temp. of the water to compensate. Helps to put some boiling chips in keg when useing propane.

First several runs are always a learning process."
Offline firefly263  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:58:34 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"dont know what the starting ABV was.....but after 6 days it was at .990

When you say boiling chips??? what do you mean???

When my temperature reached 79-80 degrees...I lowered the heat quite a bit and then simply adjusted the water flow.....was connected directly to the faucet....so it was always cold.....

So maybe I should keep the heat up and run the water faster??? Confused"
Offline bronzdragon  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:20:22 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"I know what you mean. I have the ps2 on the 1100w hotplate and 12 hours is common for me. I think the gas burner is the way to go if you can use it in your location. I think that the ps2 would perform a lot better with higher heat.

~r~"
Offline firefly263  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:01:39 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"I think I will try it with high heat with my stripping run....
The more I think about it....the more I think my flame was too low!!! Blushing"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:24:34 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Yeah, more heat, more water and then its a balanceing act, but still should be getting about a qt/hr. However, lowering the heat at the start, and lots of water for really good reflux, takeing the heads off slowly, then into hearts add more heat until you get a good constant rate, warm but not super hot distillate comeing out. Control it with the water as much as you can, then lower the heat if necessary.

Bronzedragon, did you destroy the thermostat so it is constantly on? Do so if not.

Boiling chips will allow for a faster take off, as it will produce many small bubbles of vapor instead of great big ones at once, which could flood your column, or come with big puffs, which will make you have to slow down, so you don't have vapor pushed real fast through the condensor in gusts. Broken, unglazed pottery, gravel, bits of copper, gravel, etc. I now use a double handful of rashig rings..

When you hit tails, increase heat and take it off as fast as the condensor can handle it. With the water control you can shut off the reflux and run it more like a pot still. Those items will save much time in the run. Energy too.

I would hate to tell how long and how many runs it took me to learn those lessons for myself.

The ps II does work good, and makes a good drink, just much slower. the 3"" column and 54"" long with the size adopter can run so much faster and cleaner. The big condensor lets me fly. If I watch it close and adjust it at the beginnings of heads, the temps never change during the heart run. 72-73° at my elevation. When the alarm goes off at 74 I switch to tails. I have made enough with my rig, to know this is close enough for me. Save the tails for the next run, and you have lost nothing. If I get my adjustments right at the beggining, I get at least a gallon/hr of 94+++ on the spirit run.

I do this for some great vodka, and for macerations and such. I now do mostly flavored distillations and I love this unit for that immensly. I use the top half, with some packing and cooling water only through one tube that i can control independent of the condensor flow. I have found with practice, I can get just as much flavor or more with one run than a double pot distillation and at whatever ABV is proper. I can even adjust it to mimick a triple distillation still with flavor. This is when the fun and art really start to come into play. Taste and smell really come into play then.

I like to crank up my campfire dutch oven or 2, and I can sit back and watch them both do their thing. Hey, I'm cooking dinner, and over there is my steamer- sauce maker."
Offline firefly263  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:53:39 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"mtnwalker2, thanks for the detailed explanation...

.your are tempting me to get the PS II HC...OhMyGod....1 gallon in 1 hour!!!!! took me 12 hours to get less than that!!!!

...Sad"
Offline bronzdragon  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:47:20 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"I really think it's all about the heat. I think the regular PS2 could do a good job with a higher heat source.

I'd say if you have gas, get a higher BTU burner or just turn yours up.

As for the 1100W hotplate ... I don't recommend it. It works a little better if you take the heat distribution plate out from between the pot and the burner ... but then you get the treat of burned on wash inside the bottom of your boiler.

bleh

~r~"
Offline firefly263  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:55:22 AM(UTC)
firefly263

im gonna try a water run with more heat and see what happens.....:)
Offline mtnwalker2  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:24:30 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"I agree with BronzeD The size you have is what almost everyone uses. It is just going to take you a while to learn the ropes. Fast strip and reruns are a great time saver, and really increases quality.
I must also point out, since I distill outside, my rates were for a perfect warm calm day. I have starte many times under those conditions, only to have a fast moveing front, cold and windy. Even snow once. Yep, those were some long runs. I've learned to check the weather!!!

Kinda like reading a book on how to drive, and then getting into a car for the first time and hitting the roads dureing rush hour. Takes a little practice. Part of the fun though is that each run gets better, and you learn a lot just in the doing."