logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Skymeat  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:54:31 PM(UTC)
Skymeat

Groups: Registered

"I've tried this a couple times from recipes found on the net. Both times the stuff never even started to ferment. I've brewed beer for many years and never had a batch do nothing.

This is my first real foray here. Can someone(s) post a recipe for a basic no frills deal (including yeast brand names, and detailed instructions if you don't mind typing about a used up topic)?

I just want to make something that works good and I have dialed in before investing in the time it will take to make a fine result.

Thanks,
Skymeat"
Offline just_me  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2007 11:57:42 AM(UTC)
just_me

1 pack of turbo48 yeast. 17lbs of sugar and fill to 25liters of water, when it is through fermenting you can let it settle on its own or use sparkoloid. then run through your still.
Offline bjjfiter  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 10:05:59 AM(UTC)
bjjfiter

"10 lbs. sugar
5 gallons water
12 or 16 oz. jar of wheat germ
can of tomato paste
Prestige Vodka yeast

...that's all I use, and it turns out great every single time. Fast, thorough ferment in 48 hours or so, sometimes even less."
Offline LWTCS  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 10:41:26 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"5 gallons water
10 pounds sugar
2 cups crushed ""All Bran"" (or the like)breakfast cereal
4 oz flieschman's dry active bakers yeast"
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 8:34:17 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"Winos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

This is for a 6 gallon wash. (23 Liter)
9 pounds of sugar{dissolved in hot water}
1 tsp of citric acid
1 tsp Gypsum
2 Tbsp of DAP (Yeast Nutrient)
1/8 tsp Epsom salts
60 grams Red Star Premier Cuvee Yeast OR 1/4 cup bakers yeast

Dissolve your sugar in hot water and mix until its dissolved real good.
Add the DAP,gypsum, acid and Epsom salts,and stir until its all dissolved.
Add this to your fermenter,and add enough cool water to make 6 gallons.

The starting SG should be 1070-1080SG. Don't go over 1080SG for best results.

Check the temp,and once its 95f or under,sprinkle the yeast on top.

After 15-20 minutes,give it a good stir to mix things up,and get some air mixed in. You can cover the fermenter with a cloth,or use an airlock.

Depending on the fermenting temp,this will work off in a week or two.
Don't rush it. Let it finish to dryness,and give it another week to clear before running it.

By using a large amount of yeast,You don't have to add a bunch of extra nutrients and additives to get it to work,and the less stuff you add,the less it will influence flavors."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:57:23 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"This is for a 6 gallon wash. (23 Liter)
9 pounds of sugar{dissolved in hot water}
1Tbsp 5.2 ph Stabilizer
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp of DAP (Yeast Nutrient)
1/8 tsp Epsom salts
60 grams Red Star Premier Cuvee Yeast OR 1/4 cup bakers yeast.

Keep the temp up at this will finish in 4 daysOhMyGod"
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline jrlevers  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 1:32:37 AM(UTC)
jrlevers

i make small batches.

5lb sugar
2lbs cornmeal (quaker oats brand is good)
3.13 gallons water (makes 3.5 gal wash)
2 tbsp fleishmans active yeast (the kind in the jar for breadmachines)

comes out about 12%

strip it once. spirit run. i usually end up around 70%.

simple. smooth.
Offline Ghankra  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:51:52 PM(UTC)
Ghankra

"Just started a wash, normal sugar(3.45kg), turbinado(3.135kg), cane(1.5kg).

Super xpress yeast (works very nicely)

I try and go low on the cane since its flavor profile is very dominate.

Tasters choice

Enjoy!"
Offline Twadomikwadios  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:03:28 AM(UTC)
Twadomikwadios

Does it have to be wheatgerm or can you use porridge oats?
Offline ratflinger  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:44:22 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

This only applies to neutral spirit - why bother with anything beside sugar & nutrients? I've tried shredded wheat, bran flakes, corn flakes, etc. Al it's ever done for me was leave a bunch of trash int he bottom of the fermenter. Refluxing kills any taste anyway, not much point to anything besides simple - IMO
Offline Twadomikwadios  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:48:15 PM(UTC)
Twadomikwadios

"
Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
This only applies to neutral spirit - why bother with anything beside sugar & nutrients? I've tried shredded wheat, bran flakes, corn flakes, etc. Al it's ever done for me was leave a bunch of trash int he bottom of the fermenter. Refluxing kills any taste anyway, not much point to anything besides simple - IMO

Thanks for replying Ratflinger. I would say I did three washes with identical amounts of sugar and some varied nutrients but in one I added a pack of porridge oats. Two of the washes performed identically in fermentation time and results. However the one with the porridge oats really took off and was still going 17 days later, whereas the other two finished after just six days. I don't know what this means yet as I still haven't tested the third wash, but it would indicate there is some effect adding grain...what that is exactly is to be discovered..."
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:08:35 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"50 Gallon Simple Sugar Wash

50 gallon wash (189 Liters)
14.1% ABV. Should yield 26.9 Liters (7.2
Gallons) of 93% (186 proof) Ethanol.

Ingredients:

100 lbs (1600oz) Sugar (dissolved in hot water)
3 lbs (48oz) Tomato Paste (8 - 6oz Cans)(Yeast Nutrient)
4oz Diammonium Phosphate (DAP) (Optional but Recommended)
1 lb (16oz) Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Bakers Yeast)

Instructions:

(1)Dissolve 3 lbs of tomato paste in 2 gallons of hot water.
(2)Dissolve 100 pounds of sugar in 20 gallons of hot water stirring until all
of the sugar is dissolved and not gritty.
(3)Pour the dissolved sugar into the fermenter with the tomato paste.
(4)Top off the fermenter to 50 gallons with cold water and stir well.
(5)Once the wash has cooled to 80 degrees Fahrenheit or less add 1 lb of
bakers yeast and stir well.
(6)Place lid on fermenter add airlock and allow to ferment until complete.

Notes:

The beginning Specific Gravity of the wash should be 1.092
The ending Specific Gravity of the wash should be 0.980

Narrative:

100 lbs sugar made up to 50 gallons total volume should have a Specific
Gravity (SG) of 1.092 and only require 42.62 gallons of water. This should
produce a wash of 14% Alcohol By Volume (ABV) and finish with a final
Specific Gravity (SG) of 0.980

-"
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline fatboylo  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:26:07 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. I am glad to see yall aint using up all our corn to make this stuff. I do not mind sacrificing tomater paste and sugar. Carry on young man. Did you ever put me down as a branch distillery/ethanol fuel dispenser yet? Thanks. I think it could save some lag time in putting in for my own license. Remember..make hay when the Sun is Shining. Add a bit more to the quota etc. Just trying to cover all the bases here. Let me know.

Whew who!!!!!!!! Bayouy must have a cooker the size of a Toyota!!!!!!! Gonna try and scale this one down!!!!!!!
Offline fatboylo  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:44:54 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

Nearly bet the young man is using his trusty BH 3 inch refluxer..just like the one I got..and the one you need..lol. I think that because I think he said that one time. You can run hooch through that puppy quicker than a dose of epsom salts go through an old widder lady. With enough heat would guess he could knock one of them big shiney barrels out in a couple of hours. No Toyoter sized stills need apply. Just guessing of course. He might now own a still the size of the Warden's Tundra..lol. She has a big Tundra.

Lmao........I just now working on my reflux'er.....still have a lot of questions......when refluxing?????? I full reflux for an hour right?......... How do I get my heads and fores off? Close the reflux take off the fore and then start my colection??????? HELP!!!!!!!!
Offline fatboylo  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 07, 2012 1:47:41 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

Tip I got..from Bayou I think..was to do a front end reflux of "less" than an hour trying to hold the column at 170..which means about 20 mins in Tejas time. Fores should come off first. I chunk the first 1/2 cup on a five or six gallon wash because thats what BH Rick say to do. When I moved up to the 10 gallon gallon batches started out trying to toss 2/3 cup but went back to a half and give the first of the heads a real good sniff to see if they are fittin. There doesnt seem to be many more if any nasty fores on the bigger load than on the smaller. Rick did not mention anything about the reflux pause and that strategy also do not appear in the owners manuel. So I ran it quite a bit with no pause at all. Since then have tried it up to an hour torment time and cant tell much difference in the finished products. Now my gizmo do not have any output control valve. When it gets to temp it starts spitting hooch. Somebody on here..forget who right now sorry..recommends taking the fores after the static reflux..then throwing it back into reflux for a while...15 mins sticks in my mind for some reason.. and then starting production.

Thank you kindly Big, good info and well understood!!!!! :)
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#16 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 5:15:26 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post

The added processed cereal is the yeast nutrients, no?
Offline shovelhead91701  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:31:07 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

Originally Posted by: Twadomikwadios Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for replying Ratflinger. I would say I did three washes with identical amounts of sugar and some varied nutrients but in one I added a pack of porridge oats. Two of the washes performed identically in fermentation time and results. However the one with the porridge oats really took off and was still going 17 days later, whereas the other two finished after just six days. I don't know what this means yet as I still haven't tested the third wash, but it would indicate there is some effect adding grain...what that is exactly is to be discovered...

My question would be this: regardless of the length of fermentation on the batches, did you get a better finishing SG with one or the other? Or did you notice any difference with the flavor?
My point is this: If you achieved the same outcome(SG) with both processes then why go after a longer ferment?
I am not being smart mouthed here, I just want to know if you saw any diference in the two styles.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:56:41 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Shovel,

Quote:
If you achieved the same outcome(SG) with both processes then why go after a longer ferment?
This is a great question. The short answer is: because the lowest FG/quickest ferment may not be goal.

If all yeast simply converted sugars to pure Ethanol (and did nothing else), then there would be no reason to prolong the process. But fortunately (and sometimes unfortunately) there's a lot more going on. The guys that really know what yeast do, and I am not one of them, use terms like ""pathways"" and ""genomic expression"" and ""transient response"" and a bunch of other such terms that leave my head spinning. But it basically all boils down to this: yeast produce a bunch of different things during fermentation and each strain is unique. Some of those things may be good or desirable (ethanol is obviously desirable, certain congeners at appropriate levels, etc) and some may be bad (an overabundance of certain congeners). It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

That said, when you measure the final gravity, all you really know is the relative density of your wash compared to pure water. It doesn't tell you anything about what's in your wash. So we're left with trying to figure out why our fermentation finished lower/quicker ... and whether or not it produced the results we want. Here's an example:

When I started out I would ferment at 30 C. I maintained the temperature with an aquarium heater. It was great (or so I thought). The fermentation was vigorous, huge krausen caps, a very active airlock and always done in seven days or less. It was great to watch ... it looked so healthy. When I ran those washes I had lots of heads. So I spent a lot of time learning how to run the column better. Then I started getting lots of compressed heads. The problem wasn't solved -- I just got better at taking off heads.Confused

Then I started paying more attention to what guys like scotty, BR, heeler were saying about slower, cooler fermentation. I read up on the attributes of different yeast strains ... even tried to understand what the beer guys were trying to do with lagering. So I dropped the temps down to 20 (or lower), started using more ""neutral"" yeasts and things got much better. My washes now take two to three weeks to finish, but my neutrals are much cleaner now and I have a lot less heads.

And here's the trump card: my OG and FG are still the same, no change, nada.

Anyway, it took time for me to figure things out, develop some patience, and listen more closely to the guys on this forum that have been doing this for years. They're a great resource and very nice people as well.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline shovelhead91701  
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:30:08 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

Right, I get that idea. I was oversimplifying the process. I didn't equate the same principals to sugar washes as mash washes. My thought process(which was wrong) was that the simple sugar mixture would take all or most of the congeners out of the equation. Well stated, made it more understandable when you put it like that.
Offline Mkjt88  
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:55:25 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Yep.. and very well put John. Just like you I learned this the hard way and made a few washes myself that were quick and hot. Tasted "ok".. I was thinking in the back of my mind it's drinkable but not what I really want.. I almost just accepted it and then listened to these guys and now my washes take atleast 2-3 weeks to ferment and boy are they tasty. My fermenters stay in the 60-65F range most now. Before they were 80- high 90's