logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline firefly263  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 2:04:36 AM(UTC)
firefly263

Groups: Registered

"Im assembling my new PS II and connecting the tubes.....
after I add the water cooling system...im left with 2 return lines....
1 is 8' long....and I put the 8"" one on the condenser.....but isn't 8"" a little short for a return line.?? Should I replace it with an 8' hose?? so I would end up with 2 ---8' hoses instead of 1??? :)"
Offline firefly263  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2007 10:12:40 AM(UTC)
firefly263

hummmm....anybody here???......BigGrin
Offline bronzdragon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:39:51 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

There should be one long one from the pump to the head. A short one from the top of the head to the bottom of the head. One short one from the bottom of the head to the bottom of the condenser, and one long return line from the top of the condenser to the water bucket.
Offline firefly263  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:56:00 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"bronz, thanks for the reply.....
I've read the directions for the water control system and it says that I will end up with 2 return lines.....1 return line from the condenser and 1 from the column.....So I am left with 1 18"" hose as a return line......which I find is quite short.....the water will be dripping from pretty high!!!.....unless I got the whole thing wrong.....Confused"
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:52:26 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

I think either you're reading the directions wrong or the directions are wrong. Bronzdragon has it right. Follow his advice. it is one continuous water path, one line feeds the water, one returns it.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:26:37 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"The above advice is correct for the older ps II models. Brewhaus now includes a valveing system so that the input rate can be controlled independently. Ie. when hitting tails, all reflux can be shut off and run much faster. Its a small but significant improvement.

But they should have also sent a T and clamps, so that you could cut the long return line and connected that shorter hose from one of the returns to combine the return via just one hose. Contact Rick and I'm sure he will send you one."
Offline firefly263  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:00:55 PM(UTC)
firefly263

"Thanks for the replies....I got my PS II last week so I believe it is the newer model....I just checked again and I didnt get the ""T""....it makes more sense the way mtnwalker2 explains it.....:)

I will contact Rick to see what he says......thanks again....:)"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:55:21 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Actually for anyone reading this forum, if you have a ps II, or pro, or the High Capacity unit, and don't have the valved spliter, consider it. You can order from brewhaus, or get it from lowes of home depot. Upgrades your ability quite a bit for better lproduct and less time. Not as big an issue with my high capacity, but a major one with the ps II pro unit.
Hope this is not a needed comment, but insulate that column well. Biggest cause of disattisfaction and poor results from these. Its the most important thing you can do along with only put into the still well settled and superp wash. If going for neutral, definately do a stripping run, soak with caco3 or baking soda, till 3 or 4 runs, then do a spirit run. Stingy with cuts, and you won't need to carbon filter. Makes a tremendous differance. I also use some non- iodized salt, canning salts, and it really does change and make easier the cuts. Add the salt into the still.

enjoy!"
Offline bronzdragon  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:45:08 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"I agree. The splitter which runs about $20 on the Brewhaus site is an excellent addition. I also agree about the insulation. I got some pipe insulation from the big orange store for about $5 and insulated the column and the top half of the pot...it has helped out a lot.

~r~"
Offline firefly263  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:52:14 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"mtnwalker2: what do you mean by ""soak with caco3 or baking soda, till 3 or 4 runs"" I dont quite get what you mean Sad

bronzdragon: what you refer to the 20$ splitter...are you referring to the whole ""water control system"" ???"
Offline bronzdragon  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:57:01 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"Yes, I just used a general term for it.

http://www.brewhaus.com/Water_Control_System_p/40002600.htm

It's basically a splitter and a T pipe, connected with bits of tubing. You could make it yourself easily, but the price they have at Brewhaus is pretty much what you'd be paying in parts anyway.

One word of advice though, get about 4 more tubing clamps if you get it. Before installing it, make sure all the connections have a clamp on them. I had several clamps around here and put them on. It works good, but drips a little water now and then if you don't have the clamps on.

~r~"
Offline firefly263  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:59:09 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"ok thanks dragon.....that's what I have.....all im missing right now is the
""T"" so I could connect the 2 return lines together......:)

I guess I could pick 1 up at any hardware store???"
Offline bronzdragon  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:06:46 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"Yeah, make sure you get the right size. The big orange or blue store should have a whole aisle of that stuff to pick from.

~r~"
Offline firefly263  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:11:37 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"dragon....much appreciated...thanks for taking the time to help....BigGrin

I should be distilling my 1st wash this weekend...:)

so I guess i'll go buy my ""T"", some clamps, and some insulation for the column....

Thanks for all the help....."
Offline bronzdragon  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:17:15 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"Happy sipping.

~r~"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:16:38 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Firefly,

I have only used bakeing soda, but others claim calcium carbonate works even better? I just add a tbs. per gal. and just let it rest with the fast stripped low wines. Do not add it to your ferments. Then when you have accumalated a proper amount for a spirit run it will be cleaner.

I know. First run or 2 you won't want to wait. When I did my first several runs. they wern't very good. I learned a lot though, and that soon changed. If you ever get a bad one, makeing poor cuts or whatever, just save it and rerun it. Also, use the above for neutral, and not for flavored spirits.

And yeah, happy sipping!"
Offline firefly263  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:29:22 AM(UTC)
firefly263

"mtnwalker2,

Thanks for clearing that up for me......as for me...it will be my 1st run and believe me....I just cant wait anymore...BigGrin...I'm so anxious,I have a hard time sleeping at night!!!!BigGrin

Thanks to all of you again for all the info....
4 more days to go......"
Offline Pinotte  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:54:52 AM(UTC)
Pinotte

"One point must be very well understand. Do not add the baking soda to the wash (ferment product) but to the distillate because it will make the wash alcaline. If the wash is too alcaline (not acid enough) it will corrode the copper packing in the column and you will end up with blue spirit smelling ammonia. In a reflux column it may not be as noticeable as with my old cooper column (no reflux) pot still but your cooper mesh packing will suffer from corrosion and the spirit will not taste very good. I want to point out that the resulting product from my old pot still was so blue and amonia smelly that I would not drink it and I thought someone had put some weird stuff to poison me. Wink Now I always add some acid blend or lemon juice to my wash before distilling.

Pin"
Offline Pinotte  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:01:27 AM(UTC)
Pinotte

"Oop! I forgot to point out that I did not add any baking soda when I got my blue ammonia smelly spirit so I was concerned about people adding baking soda to their wash. Always add it after a first run. Also it only happened once after I distillated so many washes though the experience was awful.

Pin"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 11:38:25 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Pinotte Go to Quoted Post
Oop! I forgot to point out that I did not add any baking soda when I got my blue ammonia smelly spirit so I was concerned about people adding baking soda to their wash. Always add it after a first run. Also it only happened once after I distillated so many washes though the experience was awful.

Pin

I have also had the blue color come over, though no ammonia smell. Twice with too full a boiler of rum. It puked into my column and I got copper sulphate. A beautiful color. I cut the heat down, to a very slow simmer and let it just reflux and clean itself for a good while than started takeing off again. No problem or color. Added the blue back as feints in a later run, no problem.

You are exactly right not to add bakeing soda or caco3 to fresh ferment. Would ruin your day and weekend.

Just another point I haven't posted in months. Add some canning salt (non Iodized) to your spirit run. A tsp / gal. and your cuts will be much better defined and a much cleaner hearts run. You can add more, but thats what I use."