logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jams  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2007 7:03:44 AM(UTC)
jams

Groups: Registered

"If you naven't tried the molasses and yeast/nutrient now available at brewhaus, I recommend you make your next batch with it.
All I did was dump molasses in 6 gallon bottling bucket.
Added 3 gallons (using molasses jug for measuring and rinsing the jug).
Added the yeast/nutrient pack.
Topped to 6 gallons.
And I swear fermentation was already starting.
Mixed it a little and when it started going good I covered.
It was done in 2 days.
Was a nice clean wash.
Stilled on the third day.
Made a nice smelling and tasting distillate.

Kudos to Rick and Company"
Offline bronzdragon  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:49:34 PM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"I'll also put in a plug for the Rum Turbo yeast/nutrient pack. It has worked well for me and I can use each pack for up to 5 generations before needing to start over.

cheers

~r~"
Offline jams  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:45:09 AM(UTC)
jams

"Mr. Dragon,
What do you do to keep using the same wash. Just add a little sugar.

Jim"
Offline bfrank  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:51:35 AM(UTC)
bfrank

"thanks Jams... How much molasses for 6 gals? what specific gravity?
I've just been adding a jug of molasses to my regular brew to get a more rum taste. I would like to try an all molasses batch... got the rum turbo already but it doesn't give any instructions.
bfrank"
Offline bronzdragon  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:03:09 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"Ok to answer both questions ... here is the rum wash I have used and it tastes great.

For 5 1/2 gallons of wash...
9 pounds fancy molasses (backstrap)
5 pounds sugar
Squeeze of lemon juice

As far as the yeast goes. On the first generation I use a pack of Rum Turbo yeast. When I rack off the yeast, I make another wash and just start including a tablespoon of yeast nutrient with the above reciepe. I then just put the wash on top of the yeast that I just racked off of.

As the generations go on, you get a greater volume of yeast cells at the bottom. You also get some dead cells with each batch and this acts as yeast nutrient also. The molasses has good yeast nutrient in itself ... so all in all, if you aerate the wash well ... it's a very healthy environment for yeast.

On the fifth generation, I did not notice any off tastes ... that's just as far as I've taken one of those yeast batches. You may be able to use it a few more generations before you start getting off flavors.

cheers

~r~"
Offline Eekamouse  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:49:01 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"These forums have been very helpful, so I wanted to ask a question that may help others in the same position as I am.

I have two containers of rum that have been fermenting for a few hours over a day now at around 80F.
One is 5 gallons of water with unsulfured molasses and about 1 lb. of dark brown sugar. I mixed them at around 130F, and at room temp. the mix was at an OG of 1.088.

The other ended up being a mix of my excess mash, sweetened with an equal amount of white sugar and 250 mL of pure cane sugar. Mixed with water it came to an OG of 1.1 and about 3 gallons. I wanted to see how a higher potential would turn out.
I used EC-1118 for both, and now the first(5 gallon) batch is bubbling around once every 5 seconds.
The second is bubbling only once every 10 seconds.

I was wondering if this sounds like a reasonable rate of fermentation for EC1118 after a day. I read about multiple packs of EC being used, and didn't know if I should pitch another into either container.

Thank you!"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:28:00 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"You hsve to add nutrients to a mollasses or sugar wash when not useing a turbo. Also some lemon juice or citric acid.

Originally Posted by: Eekamouse Go to Quoted Post
These forums have been very helpful, so I wanted to ask a question that may help others in the same position as I am.

I have two containers of rum that have been fermenting for a few hours over a day now at around 80F.
One is 5 gallons of water with unsulfured molasses and about 1 lb. of dark brown sugar. I mixed them at around 130F, and at room temp. the mix was at an OG of 1.088.

The other ended up being a mix of my excess mash, sweetened with an equal amount of white sugar and 250 mL of pure cane sugar. Mixed with water it came to an OG of 1.1 and about 3 gallons. I wanted to see how a higher potential would turn out.
I used EC-1118 for both, and now the first(5 gallon) batch is bubbling around once every 5 seconds.
The second is bubbling only once every 10 seconds.

I was wondering if this sounds like a reasonable rate of fermentation for EC1118 after a day. I read about multiple packs of EC being used, and didn't know if I should pitch another into either container.

Thank you!
"
Offline Eekamouse  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:21:53 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

Added a tsp of nutrient for every gallon, and a good squirt of lemon juice to each 10 hours ago along with a good shake. This morning both are bubbling in the airlocks at about once a second. Thanks for the tip, Johnny Walker
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:44:54 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Your welcome, Another tip, add a tbs of epsom salts at the beginning of a ferment, and save the dunder from each run to use instead of water for following ferments. Reuseing the yeast is good idea also.

Originally Posted by: Eekamouse Go to Quoted Post
Added a tsp of nutrient for every gallon, and a good squirt of lemon juice to each 10 hours ago along with a good shake. This morning both are bubbling in the airlocks at about once a second. Thanks for the tip, Johnny Walker
"
Offline bigfish3  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:21:37 AM(UTC)
bigfish3

"I know this an old thread, but here goes.

I just used the Rum Turbo for the first time. SG of 1.080 EG of 1.010.

When I racked it from the fermenter to the carboy to settle out there was a oily ranibow on top of the wash.

Similar to what you see if you put a drop of gas ina puddle of water if that makes sense.

I have never noticed that before. Is it normal?"
Offline tripod  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:26:18 AM(UTC)
tripod

I have noticed an oil slick in mine as well, however it was during aging and i figured it was the coconut i put in due to the oil and fat in the coconut. If it wasn't that then it must have had something to do with the mollasis.......I use blackstrap........
Offline Mongoose  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:56:53 AM(UTC)
Mongoose

"I'm looking at doing a run with the BrewHaus light molasses for a light rum using only molasses and water (yeast). I did a recent tour of the Railean Distillery in San Leon, TX and was very impressed with how much aromatics came out in their second run, 94% at 180F. They have a 100 gallon 7 plate still. They said that they ferment to around 13% potential, in 300 gallon fermentation vessels.
So I plan on doing an 18 gallon fermentation and am curious how much molasses I am going to need to get the needed OG for a 13% potential. Any inputs?
Thanks"