logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline boss9  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2007 8:39:28 AM(UTC)
boss9

Groups: Registered

"Not sure if this is where to post this or not. Just wanted to
say Hi and that I'm really enjoying this forum. I've just recently joined but have been reading for quite sometime. I built my own reflux still ... 3"" column 48"" tall with 2- .5"" cooling lines going thru it, to 1.5"" crossover and dropping back to a 3"" condenser tube with a 16"" long 3/8"" coil inside.
I have a small pump 1/25 HP providing cooling from a 4 gallon supply thru a cooling coil with a fan blowing over it.
At the top of my column I silvered in a well into the cap and have a digital temp control module that powers the fan when the temp reaches a setpoint.
It's a neat contraption with a few low points...small SS 20L pot and only an 800 watt hot plate. I've tested it with water 3 times and each time it took 1.5 hours to start boiling so I know it'll work might just take awhile.
Sorry about the book, just wanted to say Hi.
Darrel"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2007 10:14:20 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Groups: Registered

"
Originally Posted by: boss9 Go to Quoted Post
Not sure if this is where to post this or not. Just wanted to
say Hi and that I'm really enjoying this forum. I've just recently joined but have been reading for quite sometime. I built my own reflux still ... 3"" column 48"" tall with 2- .5"" cooling lines going thru it, to 1.5"" crossover and dropping back to a 3"" condenser tube with a 16"" long 3/8"" coil inside.
I have a small pump 1/25 HP providing cooling from a 4 gallon supply thru a cooling coil with a fan blowing over it.
At the top of my column I silvered in a well into the cap and have a digital temp control module that powers the fan when the temp reaches a setpoint.
It's a neat contraption with a few low points...small SS 20L pot and only an 800 watt hot plate. I've tested it with water 3 times and each time it took 1.5 hours to start boiling so I know it'll work might just take awhile.
Sorry about the book, just wanted to say Hi.
Darrel

Hello Darrell, and welcome. No apology needed, as it fascinates us to have someone exceed the norm on thier first build. You will be so happy with that 3"" column in the long run. First, get you a triclamp and adopter for a half beer keg. You will be greatful later. Then up your power. Insulate that column is a must, and to make use of that size, way up the cooling water vollume, or have a lot of ice ready. You have made a fantastic column, but its like putting a Cummings diesal engine in a volkwagan. And with a 3 gal. fuel tank.

Pack those through tubes with packed cu. balls upto just below the take-off. Much better reflux. Later, you might want to add a third through tube for that sixe column. A few adjustments, and you will be extremely happy with what you have built.

Have fun!"