logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline High_Wine_Guy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:13:40 PM(UTC)
High_Wine_Guy

Groups: Registered

"I've search every board but have yet to find a vodka recipe that uses the wonderful potato. Well really I haven't found one that the person posting it says that they've used and enjoyed the final product.

I've got 50 pounds of potatoes and a hankering to make some good vodka. I purchased my still a couple of months ago and I've run over 30 gallons of molasses wash which leaves me with enough rum to last me through the winter (I would hope). Recently ran 20 gallons of UJSM and have it sitting on oak to age, so I guess vodka should be the next logical step before moving into a grain based mash.

So if you've got a true potato based vodka recipe I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sam"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 10:32:57 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Hey Sam, I was waiting for someone more knowledgeable to answer. Never tried it yet myself, but have read many recipes. Try a search here, under the recipe section, and also at homedistiller.org. the Mother site, and forum. Lots of them. Just thinking over what i had read before, you might want to add some flaked or crushed wheat to it. Seems it might make a better all round vodka. I usually raise a ton of potatoes, but not in the last 3 years. Too damn busy with retirement and helping kids.

Will again next year though, so let me know how it turns out.

Do a search on homedistiller.org

They have many recipes and thoughts of potato mashes."
Offline High_Wine_Guy  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 1:48:38 AM(UTC)
High_Wine_Guy

"Okay, I did some thinking and kind of come up with what I hope is a half way good recipe.

I've started with about 25 pounds of peeled and roughly chopped potatoes (I know that a lot of people say that there's no need to peel them - I just don't want a big bunch of peels in my still - also the way this is fermenting you wouldn't want peels blocking your bubbler).

Slowly, and I do repeat slowly, bring these up to a slow boil in a big kettle (it took me almost two and half hours to cook mine - this slow cooking should help break down the starch).

Now when the potatoes are tender (not total mush) split them between two 5 gallon buckets (and nope I didn't drain them first - water and all). Once you have your potatoes split add about 5 pounds of sugar to each bucket, the hot water will make adding the sugar easy.

I then added six crushed Beano tablets and some yeast nutrient to each bucket and mixed them up really well with paddle mixer on my drill (they'll end up looking like soupy oatmeal). I topped off with water to five gallons, added my distillers yeast and then let her rip.

Update: after sitting over night I've never seen fermentation quite this active. One bucket is blowing foam up through the bubbler every few minutes like Old Faithful - it's quite funny really. The other bucket had the bubbler blocked with a piece of potato and it looked like the whole bucket was going to blow up (kind of started to look like a beach ball - wouldn't have been good if I didn't catch it) - I pulled the bubbler out and it blew potato water everywhere...lol

All that I know at this point is that whatever I'm making has some awesome fermentation happening. Will it make good vodka? We'll find out but in all of my years making wine I've never had a batch ferment quite this strong.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress....

Thanks,
Sam"
Offline High_Wine_Guy  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 11:51:12 PM(UTC)
High_Wine_Guy

"Well two days now and everything is fermenting away perfectly.

I forgot to mention that I also used DIATASE ENZYME (AMYLASE) to convert the potato starch into sugar.

Sam"
Offline wineo  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:52:37 PM(UTC)
wineo

"Ive never tried it,but heard that it ferments like hell,so use a big fermenter.
Let us know how it turns out.
wineo"