logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline hill billy willy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:45:52 AM(UTC)
hill billy willy

Groups: Registered

What's a good rule of thumb for quantities of oak chips per volume of spirit? And can you get the same results using oak chips compared to oak kegs? Want to make a good tasting american whiskey.
Offline kayakalex@insightbb.com  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:03:49 PM(UTC)
kayakalex@insightbb.com

"Just wanted to shake the tree and see if I could get an answer on how to use the oak chips I baught from brewhaus? Hill Billy Willy asked all the questions I have, any help??

Thanks
Kayakalex"
Offline tikisteve  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:55:34 PM(UTC)
tikisteve

"I really didn't take a measurment, but I used about a third of the bag in my whisky distillate that I have in a glass carboy. It's been soaking for almost 2 weeks and the color is really dark but that will lighten when I dillute it to 90 proof. I tried a taste and it had a good flavor just from that short of time. I also read that a few people on this forum used the jack daniels oak chips that stors sell for bbq'ing and their smokers, the chips come from chopped up older oaken whisky barrels, I just put a couple handfuls of that into my mixture yesterday.
Cheers!
TS"
Offline bjjfiter  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 2:22:35 PM(UTC)
bjjfiter

I am about to use some of Brewhaus's chips and stix myself, and as I understand it, your product should be diluted to 55-60% abv so as to balance out what it takes from the wood. Too much alcohol will cause too many tannins to be released from the wood. You need to have that water diluting your product so that the nice vanillins and caramel flavors come out. The tannins mellow the spirit but the flavors come from the water soluble compounds in the wood.