logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline High_Wine_Guy  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2007 12:06:00 AM(UTC)
High_Wine_Guy

Groups: Registered

"Howdy everyone, this is my first time posting and I'd like to get everyone's opinions before I start into this. I'm a total newbie to distilling but have been learning everything that I can for the last year.

I recently went down to New Orleans and spent a day with Master Distiller Chris Sule at Celebration Distillation. They are the distillers of Old New Orleans Rum, awesome stuff, http://www.neworleansrum.com/home.shtml.

Let me tell you, Chris is one of the nicest guys around and really went into a lot of detail regarding the craft. Also we sampled numerous barrels of really premium, 10+ year old rum, which gave me some real insight into aging.

The biggest thing that I noticed, other then their really interesting home made column and pot stills was that they run everything through the pot still first and then run that through the column still second. Running this way allows them to pull 185+ proof out of the column still on a single pass. Chris's cuts are pure, and he mentioned that he'd rather waste more and get only the good hearts and then rerun the tails later.

Also, and here's the big one for me, they carbon filter their rum and it doesn't loose the flavors. I've always read that carbon filtering rum or any other type of flavorful spirit would strip it completely.

Now being new to all of this I was in awe of the whole operation but it made me want to get home and order everything that I needed to start making my own rum, (even though I took home several bottles of theirs and it blows the big name stuff away).

Fermenting for fun,

Sam"
Offline brew  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:58:31 AM(UTC)
brew

Groups: Registered

From the pics and descriptions, it looks like they are using the pot to cut the volume of wash by 2/3. I imagine due to the size restrictions of the final column still. It looks to be a horizontal coil reflux hybrid. It would be nice to find out if its packed or has bubbler plates.

One thing to consider. He is a commercial distiller, and producing the most volume for the ingredients used. A home type distillation is a completely different concept, in that it is done to only save the very best part of the hearts, and the rest is tossed. In the commercial process say a gallon is collected, of that gallon a private distiller may only keep 3 of the 750 ml bottles. he throws away the rest. now the commercial distiller has a gallon that must be aged on oak to cover up the taste of the toxics that are still in it. A process that takes several years at times. The private distiller may re taste and take two bottles of hearts from the three and toss another.

Now the private distiller has two bottles of the finest that could exist, and merely needs to ....FLAVOR.... with oak to taste and let rest for a month and its ready.

Now we put a bottle of each on the counter and two rows of ten shot glasses. every hour three shots are consumed. by hour three the commercial distiller is sauced and ready to toss his cookies because the stomach doesn't like the toxics even though the barrel aging has covered up the taste. the private distiller is suffering no ill effects and is actualy enjoying himself. Both go home and the commercial distiller wakes with a raging hangover that may last two days. The private distiller wakes feeling normal except a bit dehydrated which he cures with a couple glasses of water and has no ill effects at all. If he had drank large amounts of water before sleep he would not even wake dehydrated.

If your going to make money and stay permited and in business there is a huge compromise in values just to pay the rent.

Yes you can carbon filter, the first bit plugs the carbon and by the time flavor comes through the carbon is no longer serving it purpose unless you are using it to filter particulate matter. If one had saved the two bottles instead of the gallon there is no use in carbon filtering.

The bigger the name the looser the cuts, until they just run it all together and vent the methanol and fores at the top of a continual column. That is closer to the gasoline process than spirits but they can sell it cheap and the buyers are mixing drinks with it. Most chemists that saw a big plant would petition to have it shut down.

Hope that helps bridge the gap. Your new friend has a tough road but if he sticks to his principles, and keeps pricing in line with the tighter cuts he is making he will do well. Very well.