logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:26:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

"Hey gang, a couple of quick questions/observations....i just finished racking off 15 gallons of sugar wash/rum. dark brown sugar, molasses and all the fixins. divided it up equally in three 5 gallon carboys and hit them each with cleaning agent to settle the yeast...what i now have is strange floating medium size objects on top, on the bottom i can where the yeast has fallen. however the middle part of the carboy is still cloudy/dense.....i have done this in the past, and it clears up to look like one of the rootbeer candies. thoughts or suggestions???? they were racked about 2 weeks ago. normally i can see the clearing almost immediately and the separation of the yeast is very defined. thanks

stephen"
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:58:51 AM(UTC)
wineo

Groups: Registered

"Was the wash completely done fermenting,and dry? If theres still sugar left in it,it will take longer to clear.You could rack it again,and run it through a coffee filter in a funnel,when you rack it.That will catch the floating stuff.Getting it off the yeast will help it clear.
wineo"
#3 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 3:00:46 AM(UTC)

"wineo,

yes sir, it was done fermenting.....i had a hard time with this ferment from start to finish..initially i tried to reuse the yeast(for rum, i have been successful in the past), this time it would not start...so i hit it with 2 turbo packages and i got it working, however it never went off like gangbusters...just a medium steady for about a week..once in a while i'd give it a kick/stir to encourage more action. it never really took off....i then racked it, put the clearing agent in three/ five gallon carboys, one has floatie scarey stuff, the other two are exactly half cloudy. you can see however some of the yeast lying on the bottom.

should i hit it with more clear, set it outside? I am in south texas so the inside temp is 74, outside 93(could that be an issue)...hate to waste 13 to 14 gallons. appreciate the assist..

stephen"
Offline wineo  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 5:28:09 AM(UTC)
wineo

"I would just keep racking the funky one every week or so till it clears.Use a coffee filter to grab some of the junk,and if you have some finished neutral booze,put a 1/2 pint in it.It will help it clear.I wouldnt throw it out at this point.if you put some booze in it,it will help kill off whatever the funkyness is,before it gets worse.The clearing agent wont hurt it.What kind are you using?
wineo"
#5 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 5:31:33 AM(UTC)

appreciate the response...the clearing agent is "sparkl" or something like that...dont have it in front of me.....do you think the amibent temp. had anyting to do with the clearing?
Offline wineo  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 5:50:07 AM(UTC)
wineo

"It could.If you can get it cold,it will clear faster.Sometimes those turbo washes take a long time to clear.
wineo"