logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BorisBadinov  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:26:16 PM(UTC)
BorisBadinov

Groups: Registered

"Materials:

10 pounds potatoes, cleaned but not peeled
10 pounds plain white sugar
4.5 gallons water
1/3 pound bean sprouts-about as much as you could fit into a McDonald's hamburger box
Lemon juice

I cleaned the potatoes (did not peel) and ran them through a food processor to cut them into thin slices. Next I simmered them in a big pot until they were nearly mushy. Used a potato ricer (a masher would have worked better) and mashed the whole batch.

Loaded the mash into my fermentation vat and added water and mixed with a wooden rod. While mixture was cooling I used the Lemon juice to adjust the pH down to 4.8.

Ground up bean sprouts and dumped on top of the mixture. When the batch had cooled down to about 80 degrees F, I added a packet of regular sparkling wine yeast. Fermentation time was 7 days.

Yield was about 1.5 gallons of really harsh stuff. OhMyGod

Regarding the bean sprouts, no I hadn't just finished off the previous batch. In my readings I saw a number of sites that stressed the importance of having enzymes present to convert the starches in the potatos into yeast food. A little research showed bean sprouts having the most enzymes of about anything I could buy at the grocery store. It seemed to work pretty well; when I filtered the mash through my nylon filter bag it only had about (guessing) 5 pounds of wet remains.

A question for you experts: I obviously need to redistill the batch again, about what percentage should I discard as heads and tails?"
Offline brew  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 6:56:37 AM(UTC)
brew

In no way an expert. What is the ABV of what you have? it seems that after fores, heads and tails are discarded, a super clean leftover would be about 4/5 to 1 gallon at 40% abv. You could save your heads and tails and run with a weak wine or beer under 10% and recover some of that through dilution but you will have to toss them sooner or later. Think of it as hangover fluid and its easy to let go.
Offline kc-fan  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 8:26:41 AM(UTC)
kc-fan

"I have modified this recipe to hopefully get more out of it.

2lb dry wheat malt
1 cup flaked wheat
10lbs potatoes
6lbs white sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp distillers yeast
6 tablets papaya emzyme
2 cans frozed apple juice

I added 2 lbs wheat malt to 2 gallons of water and brought to 200f. added two quarts of cold water and added thinly sliced potatoes and flaked wheat.

keep this mixture between 150 and 160 degrees for 1 hour (you will need to stir often). this will extract and breakdown starches without releasing alot of things that will not ferment.

I fished out most of the potatoe slices and put them in a strainer in my frementer and rinsed with cold water - to get the goodie off of the potatoes. the potatoes were translucent at this point - the starches have been removed.

I added 6lb of sugar to the hot mixture until it disolved. Added the hot mixture to the cold mixture and topped off with cold water to make 5 gallons.

once it was cooled to 90 degrees - I pitched the yeast in smalll bowl of warm water with the yeast nutrient and a pinch of sugar. Added the two and crushed some Papaya Enzyme pills from GNC and closed up.

At 48 hours - I will add the apple juice straight from the can. I am waiting 48 hours to allow enough alcohol to preserve the apple juice until it ferments.

I will post how it went."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 10:36:23 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Will be interesting to see how this works for you.

Several suggestions to ponder if you do this again:

Boil the taters, sugar and large tsp of citric acid or juice of 2 lemons, or can of frozen OJ concentrate. This will convert the sugar and lower PH for the mash conversion. Boil gently for half hour. Then add the apple juice to help cool to mash temp.

Save the malted wheat for the enzyme conversion at mashing temps. Let sit overnight in insulated container or do an iodine test for conversion.

Place a large paint strainer bag in fermenter add the whole mash,top up with water, (take an OG reading with a vinometer, if you don't have one get one) when cooled, add the yeast and papain extract (don't think this will help you much, but can't hurt). Stir very vigoursly to add oxygen, tie off bag as loose as pooible Seal fermenter, I don't add airlock at this stage, just cover hole with paper towels and a half dollar on it to hold it in place. 48 hours add airlock. Add the neutriants anytime in the process. When ferment is finished, sour taste of vinometer reads 1.002 or lower, Lift out bag, Pressing out juice. Let settle, or add clearing agents like sparkaloid for several days till yeast settle. Rack of lees (crud at bottom) into a clean container, and let set again for several days. Rack into boiler and run still. Presume you are pot stilling for some flavor. In either event, run a stripping run and collect all. then a spirit run. research it depending on if you are running a pot still for flavor or reflux for neutral?

No mandates given here, just a few comments to think about.

Originally Posted by: kc-fan Go to Quoted Post
I have modified this recipe to hopefully get more out of it.

2lb dry wheat malt
1 cup flaked wheat
10lbs potatoes
6lbs white sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp distillers yeast
6 tablets papaya emzyme
2 cans frozed apple juice

I added 2 lbs wheat malt to 2 gallons of water and brought to 200f. added two quarts of cold water and added thinly sliced potatoes and flaked wheat.

keep this mixture between 150 and 160 degrees for 1 hour (you will need to stir often). this will extract and breakdown starches without releasing alot of things that will not ferment.

I fished out most of the potatoe slices and put them in a strainer in my frementer and rinsed with cold water - to get the goodie off of the potatoes. the potatoes were translucent at this point - the starches have been removed.

I added 6lb of sugar to the hot mixture until it disolved. Added the hot mixture to the cold mixture and topped off with cold water to make 5 gallons.

once it was cooled to 90 degrees - I pitched the yeast in smalll bowl of warm water with the yeast nutrient and a pinch of sugar. Added the two and crushed some Papaya Enzyme pills from GNC and closed up.

At 48 hours - I will add the apple juice straight from the can. I am waiting 48 hours to allow enough alcohol to preserve the apple juice until it ferments.

I will post how it went.
"
Offline kc-fan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:18:56 AM(UTC)
kc-fan

"I will use this advice - I am so new at this that I will take ever bit of help I can get.

I am going to run what I stripped throught again - what %ABV should I cut it back to before I run it. I would assume that running this stuff straight could be a hazard."