logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Der Meister  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:14:15 AM(UTC)
Der Meister

Groups: Registered

"After the essence is mixed with the base, is it optimum to age the bottle a few months or does it not make a difference?

Thanks
DM"
Offline shadetree  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:36:17 AM(UTC)
shadetree

I don't know much about bottle ageing. I usually fill a 2gal barrel (charred) and let is sit for at least 6 mos. Makes a very fine burbon, tequilla, scotch that way.
Offline old_janx_spirit  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:25:30 AM(UTC)
old_janx_spirit

You can enjoy the essence as soon as you mix it. Hope you find one that you like, I have yet to do so.
Offline jBruce  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:35:56 PM(UTC)
jBruce

"From what I have been told and read. Some essences benefit from sitting for a day or so. However the sprit does not age in a bottle. Aging is a chemical reaction between the wood of a barrel and the sprit (and oxygen I assume).

By adding Oak chips or sticks to a bottle you can get aging however slower but much cheaper than a barrel and you don't lose any to evaporation(the angels share). I do not have enough experience to compare beyond that. By heavily charring an OAK stick an putting in a bottle of Ambrosia Scotch (or 5 sticks to a gallon jug) for a month for example it make a significant difference so much smoother. So aging in a bottle is possible if you add wood. I have had the same experience will several whiskey and some rum essences.

I have some aging for 3 months now but haven't tried it yet going for 6."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:51:28 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"jBruce,

I have had great results doing this. I age my pure neutral cut to 120 proof on oak in an almost full 5 gal. carboy. When coulering nicely, i will cut to 100 proof for a week or 2, and then cut to 80 proof for another couple of weeks, or months till i need it. Swirled and aeriated as often as i can. Its a great taste on its own, but add the ambrosia or other type essences, and it will match anything off the shelf. Give it at least 3 days to a week to marry flavours."