logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnym  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 05, 2007 1:46:17 AM(UTC)
johnnym

Groups: Registered

"Hi
Started a new ""rum"" sugar wash yesterday
10 lbs white sugar
5 lbs dark brown sugar
1 quart molasses

Used Turbo 48 for the first time
I think that I filled up container too close to top
airlock is bubbling (more firecely than I have seen before using black label turbo) - this sound normal?

some liquid escaped out of the top of the airlock and I had a small puddle on lid top (not alot of liquid escaped)

Just wanted to konw if this has any negative impact on final product
I would hate to lose the whole batch

I am about to start distilling again with the easystill - I have a pure white sugar batch that I started a couple of weeks ago - I added the 2 part clearing agent yesterday - looking for a neutral spirit on this one - any comments on the 2 part clearing agent would be appreciated - is this to be used only when looking for a neutral or would a rum wash benefit from this also?

THANKS ALOT"
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:13:07 AM(UTC)
wineo

"Just take out a quart.The molassus will make the turbo go like a mad dog.
Im sure its ok,you just need more room for the strong ferment.
wineo"
Offline brew  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 06, 2007 4:06:43 AM(UTC)
brew

"Howie uses the two part and swears by it. Its no where near as cheap as sparkaloid, which does the same thing, just add an extra day or two. Wine is the same way. some clears overnight and some takes a week, just depends.

Every wash benifits from clearing. It is the removal of yeasts and byproducts that cause offensive smells.

Howie said he had a tougher time getting a good neutral
with the easystill due to his conditions/ingredients. He runs twice and a third time if needed, adding water down to 30% each time and tosses fores, Then he makes cuts on the last round. Brings it to 40% and then runs it through the carbon after the final mix. Said its premium if you put in the work. I don't know myself. I have to go off his snail mails."
Offline johnnym  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 06, 2007 6:43:20 AM(UTC)
johnnym

"THANKS BREW - Your assistance is appreciated.

The 2 part made a noticeable change to the wash.
It is much clearer now.
Ran easytsill last night on it and tossed first 50 ML
got 750 ML hearts and stopped the run - got about 55% ABV
decided that heads and tails will be tossed for neutrals.
also - it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get out that 750 ML - I start it at 7pm or so (nothing comes out at all for about an hour) and runs till about 9:30/9:45 - that's about all I can handle as I like to go to sleep at 10pm.
output has an odor - not as strong as with my first run with brown sugar and molasses.
I left hearts in (2) 375 ML bottles uncapped hoping that some odor would be lost with open bottle - any negatives on doing that ? will this help?

I ordered a gray kangaroo not received yet but will try that on the output - you can see that I am a little lazy as I don't want to do second runs or deal with the activated carbon filter in a tube routine.

Wife drinks absolut mixed with campari - chilled up. I am hoping that I can get the neutral to the point where she cannot taste or smell anything funky when mixed."
Offline brew  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 06, 2007 10:11:46 AM(UTC)
brew

"The cleaner and clearer you can get it, the closer to neutral it will come. Don't ever run it if you cant see clearly through it. Use a flashlight in the dark to detect particles or haze. Degassing is critical to a crystal clear wine.

The kangaroo should do rest. If the kangaroo doesn't cut it (and I know it will)Rick has the long filter set up and everyone agrees that will.

I have been saving howie's snail mail letters and he has agreed to assist in putting together a small work covering all the ins and out on his easystill experiences. I will add to that my list of successes and failures in winemaking for the first steps, since distilling is but nil compared to some of the old timers here.

The main thing is don't blame the turbo wholly for the smells, since you could buy a gallon jug of wine and still get bad smells. This is a skill issue, and you have to work it out over time. Howie is an english teacher with no mechanical skills at all. If he can do it, anyone can, it just needs practice and paying attention to detail.

You really have to watch your heads and break it off at the first tails smell. Dont even start your hearts until all head smell is gone. Run all that other stuff again in the next run. Your heart should be small if you want highest quality. Howie says mixed down to 80 proof the prime hearts will be 600-750ml on 12-14% wash. He doesn't carbon filter as it comes out. he waits till he has dilluted hearts and only filters the clean 40% final mix. Otherwise he uses too much carbon (which he already wants me to send more). The rest he keeps for a second run. He is able to get 1 run each night when they run the generators. Sometimes they start them early just for him."