logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnym  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:11:43 AM(UTC)
johnnym

Groups: Registered

"Hey Rum Lovers
My new favorite rum is 10 Cane from Trinidad
Made from pressed sugar cane - NOT molasses
Taste is very different and really good

Looking to try making some rum with sucanat (close to pressed sugar cane?)
Sucanat is generally accepted as a substitute for brown sugar. Unlike regular brown sugar, sucanat is grainy instead of crystalline.

Previously used 13.5 lbs of Natural Brown Sugar with a pint of molasses in 26 gallons of water with 1 black label turbo yeast pack

Do you think that the sucanat will behave differently ?
If I omit the molasses should I use more sucanat?
Not sure what grainy vs. Crystalline means and how this will effect fermentation

Please comment - THANKS!!"
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 4:40:03 AM(UTC)
wineo

"I have been trying different things with rums.I havent seen any of the sugar that you are talking about,but have used demerea sugar with good results.
Its grainy too,and a golden color.I have a 10 gallon batch of rum,almost ready to run,and I used 28Lbs of dark brown sugar,and 2 jars of molassus.
I used 1 pack of turbo 48,for the whole batch.It fermented out in 12 days.
I ran a batch of sugar wash last night,that had 12Lbs of dextrose,4Lbs of lt brown sugar,and 2 1/2Lbs of demerea sugar,and used a pack of black label turbo.It was a 6 1/2 gallon wash,and took 14 days to ferment.I let it clear for 2 weeks,after racking.It taste real good,and is the best tasting sugar/turbo that I have made yet.I will let you know how this rum turns out.Im letting it clear till it doesnt throw anymore sedement,then I will run it.{potstill}
wineo"
Offline johnnym  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 6:11:57 AM(UTC)
johnnym

"Are you guys using plain old Domino brown sugar for rum or something else?
I was thinking about making a a wash with all organic sugar and molasses or jut using sucanat to try to get that 10 cane taste but costs alot more than Domino.

how do you age your rum?

I have a recent run (all natural brown sugar not dark with 1 pint molasses) that has aged only 5 days with a couple of oak chips, 1 clove, 1/2 bottle of rum essence and a couple of drops of vanilla extract and it tastes really good to me - similar to a captain morgan taste only the vanilla really seems to come out more than I would have thought (used Danccy mexican vanilla) but that's ok with me - I like it. It is about 50-60% and I did not water it down - nice to sip straight or mix with diet coke. Thinking about making a batch of pina colada with it for my friends at the beach this weekend to see if they like it.

cloves - do you use them? somebody warned me not to age too long with clove in there as it can tend to ""take over"" - only put 1 tiny clove in. - thoughts?

THANKS - This is turning out to be a fun new hobby for me."
Offline brew  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 11:19:24 AM(UTC)
brew

"10# dark brown C&H
4# cane juice sugar-mexican
bottle brier rabbit unsulphered
1/2 pack turbo 48 (i told him about it from here)

Was someone else, that didn't want to wait on regular yeast and add sugar a couple times, but copied the recipie. Checked it out, and the quality was the same with the less amount of turbo. Oaked out in 10 hrs with medium toast cubes. A tiny bit too oaky for me, but when I get a proper unit its the one to do. Probably just fine with a few months age. Not a true rum but very nice just the same."
Offline bronzdragon  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2007 3:33:57 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"Yes, cloves as well as other hard spices will continue to impart their flavor to the drink until they're expended. A little clove flavor is good but it will take over. If you like the flavor of your drink currently, remove the clove. Although if it's just one clove in a big jar, it might not hurt anything.

Watch out for spices ... a little goes a long way.

~r~"