logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kab  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:28:43 PM(UTC)
kab

Groups: Registered

I have seen a few people mention making Tequila using the blue agave syrup. Most have said to use 8 oz. syrup and sugar in a 5 gal. wash. This seems like too little agave syrup to me (more is better???). Considering the cost of tequila, I would rather add more syrup if this will give me a better final spirit. I have found the syrup at severial sights, most have a Light and an Amber syrup, any differance when making a wash? Also I prefer a gold Tequila any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. What would be the best type of yeast to use, I have the Turbo Pure 48, would this be o.k. or would a pot still yeast be better? Thanks in advance.
Offline Waterboy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2008 7:12:10 PM(UTC)
Waterboy

"I tried to make Tequila out of the dark agave syrup with disasterous results. I used the Turbo Black Label as yeast and used a pot still to make about 70% finished product. My Tequila tasted like soap and had none of the fine cactus taste that is so characteristic of the drink that we love. In watching Rick Bayless's PBS show about Tequila, I found that the agave plants for tequila are roasted before the juice is extracted. Perhaps that is the difference, I'm not sure. I bought 5 gallons of agave syrup for my experiment because I wanted a 100% agave wash.

It makes a great sweetener for homemade bread but makes lousy tequila. I just purchased two bottles of the improved Tequila essence. I read a review in another part of the forum that Patron drinkers had a hard time distingushing between the essence made Tequila and the real thing. I can tell you that the old Tequila essence was very floral tasting and in my opinion was puro mieda."
Offline wineo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:06:35 AM(UTC)
wineo

Dont use a turbo yeast.Use a wine yeast{lalvin 1118}or the whiskey distillers yeast with AG and you will get much better flavors.
Offline Snidlywhip  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:53:59 PM(UTC)
Snidlywhip

"Wineo, I have seen the yeast's you are talking about at the stores I go to. If I do a normal 20 to 25l wash how much lalvin 1118 should I use? I do not think I have seen anything on the package for a wash that size.

Do I need to put nutrients in with lalvin 1118 if doing just a Vodka run?

any help for a newbe would be nice."
Offline wineo  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2008 6:08:47 AM(UTC)
wineo

"The best thing to do is make a starter so you have plenty of healthy yeast.
Use 2 packs of 1118 in a 1/2 gallon of warm water with 3/4 cup of sugar for your starter and let it work for 3 days.Dont use an airlock so it can get some air.You can cover it with a thin cloth.
When you said vodka,Im guessing your wanting to do a sugar wash for vodka.
Heres a simple recipe for sugar.Its a low gravity wash.
4 gallons of water{This makes 6 gallons}
yeast starter or 1/2 cup bakers yeast,or 1/4 cup superstart distillers yeast
8 pounds of sugar{dissolved in hot water}Starting SG 1070-1080
1 Tsp of DAP
1 Tsp of citric acid
1 Tsp of gypsum
A pinch of epsom salt
Ferment at 75f until finished {2 weeks or when its at 990SG},and let settle for another week,then run.I potstill it.This will make a clean neutral thats
tasty at 80 proof.Just throw out the first 200mls and stop collecting at 35%."
Offline Tequilataz  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2010 1:27:13 AM(UTC)
Tequilataz

I tried the Tequila Gold Anejo essence. It wasn't bad but I wasn't too crazy about it. It seemed like it was missing something. I then tried the other cheaper tequila essence and that wasn't that great either. Like somebody mentioned the straight tequila essence was too floral. So what I tried was blending the anejo gold with the clear tequila essence . I blend two 20 ml bottles of the anejo gold essence with one 20 ml bottle of the clear tequila essence. I then use only 15 mls of the blend per 750 ml 80 proof sugar wash that has been carefully triple distilled on a reflux column still and then carbon filtered . This neutral spirit is very clean and smooth and has a hint of sweetness from the sugar. But when mixed with blended tequila essences the results are absolutley fantastic. I gave bottles to my friends and co workers for Christmas. Two of the people whom I gave bottles to told me they don't normally like tequila but they loved mine and wondered if I would sell them some. I have fooled many a seasoned Don Julio and Patron drinkers here in the states and down in Ensenada were I vacation frequently. I and others have compared them head to head and it isn't even close as to which one is better. The essence blend is smoother, has better flavor and a better drinkability . A salt and lemon or a chaser after taking a shot is not necessary or wanted They think I'm some kind of Tequila Guru. Trust me . Try this
Offline Arkansashillbilly  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:43:46 PM(UTC)
Arkansashillbilly

Can you be more specific about the clear tequila essence. What brand was it, and where do you get it? Thanks.
Offline Tequilataz  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 3:25:14 AM(UTC)
Tequilataz

The clear tequila essence I use is from Prestige and is available online through Brewhaus.