logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cooker  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:37:31 AM(UTC)
cooker

Groups: Registered

"I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts of how to put the holes in a keg for the fittings? I tried using a whole saw and it basically wouldn't touch the ss. I didn't even get one cut before the saw was ruined. I am thinking probably a regular type drill bit, but several problems with that. The size needed, I would think they would be hard to find, not to metion very expensive. Also you would have to have one heck of a drill to accept one that size. My drill is 5/8 chuck, anyone know where I can get a bit this size, the opening will have to be 1 5/8 .
Any help would be apprecited.
Thanks Jim"
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:53:38 AM(UTC)
wineo

"The sides of the keg will drill fairly easy with a good bimetal holesaw.
The top fitting will burn up most drill bits,or holesaws.If you know someone
who has a plasma cutter,and can weld stainless,That would be the way to go.
A 1 5/8 inch bit would cost you an arm,and a leg.
wineo"
Offline sweston  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2007 3:28:56 AM(UTC)
sweston

"On my keg conversion I left the tap collar on the top of the keg and removed all the internals as usual. Then I slid down a 1 1/2"" DWV Female Adapter that fit very snuggly into the keg opening. This allows me to use my head as a pot still or screw the column on for a reflux. The precondenser is in the head and can be utilized with either method.

Next for drilling the sides of the keg. I put in a 1/2"" pilot hole into the side right along the very bottom weld ring for the base. To widen this to 15/16 to make room for the 3/4"" drain fitting I then used step drill bit to open the hole.

I then soldered the copper fitting to this hole and then added my boiler drain valve. Also at this same level I added another hole and copper fitting and another one near the top to create a closed circuit where I attached some 1"" borosilicate ""pyrex"" glass tubing so I can view my water levels in the boiler."