logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline pj_lily  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:51:19 AM(UTC)
pj_lily

Groups: Registered

"Hey All,
So after many, many uses, my first still is beginning to show signs of wear. I made it and use it so wear is not surprising. Anyway, come time to build a newstill. Ok, maybe I just want a bigger one....
I've got my design down, so no problem there. Just an inflated version of my first one - an all copper, valved reflux. Coupla questions though. Just to make it more groovy looking I've thought of having the condensor column be glass. Any thoughts on combining glass (heavy duty) and copper? I'm going to have doubled copper coil inside and I just thought it'd be cool to see in.
Another question and it's about packing. I've used copper scrubbers up to now, but want something with a longer life and still copper. A friend and mentor put the kybosh on making my own copper raschig rings; cutting tiny diameter tubing until I had enough to fill the column. So here's the question: what are thoughts on filling the column with the same tiny copper tubes, soldered together, but all running parallel, inside the length of the column - from the bottom to just under the reflux tube? They would be soldered together but removable for cleaning. Or not.
Oh, one more thing (coffee - sorry), can someone assure me that if I make the jump from propane to electric that I will still have the same immediate control of the heat with electric that I now have with gas. Has anyone done the jump and did the electric bill skyrocket?
I'll stop now.
Thanks for any replies.
Yours,
PJ Lily"
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:54:58 AM(UTC)
wineo

"Hey PJ,
My still it almost just like yours,and I think the only major improvement you could make is to use 3inch copper,and a double wound condencer.The glass see through condencer housing sounds cool as hell,but Would probably be a pain to conect it to the copper.I have a condencer that has 18Ft of 1/4 inch
copper in it.I showed you a pic of the old one,but redid it.If I were going to make another one,I would use 25Ft.If I were going for the 3 inch model,I would use 3/8 inch copper for the coil.I could easily wind it.The hard part is getting it completely full of salt.As for the packing,I would use SS scrubbers.
They dont get all funky,like the copper ones,are easier to clean,and last longer.You would have enough copper in the vapor path,without the copper packing anyway.So theres my openion,3 inch column,and the condencer from hell that would knock down anything you throw at it.1 more thing comes to mind.The reflux return tube.I would try to mount it as high as possable,so you could get the most room possable for packing.I didnt use two valves,just one on my collection line.
wineo"
Offline pj_lily  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:28:30 AM(UTC)
pj_lily

"Thanks Wineo,
I'm absolutely going with a three inch column, but if I can find it bigger - why not... (really, why not?) For the coil, you had the 1/4 inch tube coil up and continued back down, yes? Not more than that? And you got 18 feet out of it. Do you suppose I could get your 25 feet with the 3/8? I suppose I could if I ""just"" made the condensor tall enough. How tall is yours? For the coiling, have you thought of fine grain sand instead of salt? Oh, and while I may or may not have the column be glass I AM having the condensor of glass.
So you didn't like my 1/4 inch (or less) tubes in the column as packing? I think I can even get a nice twist to them before I insert them into the column. That's where the idea of a glass column came from - to see the cool looking, slightly curving ""tubes as packing"". And yes, I believe we were Flavor Profiling at the time of these ideas.
But I don't mind some pain in the ass if the end result comes out sweet looking. I may not to tell you what was suggested to put onto the exterior cooling tubes...
But what is your thought on the tubes providing enough surface area in the column?
Er, one more? The change from gas to electric. Is the control of the heat the same for both?
Thanks so much.
Yours,
PJ Lily

p.s. leaves"
Offline wineo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:11:01 AM(UTC)
wineo

"PJ,I could get 25ft of 1/4 inch to be 12-14 inches long,but thats in a 2inch tube.If working with 3 or 4 inch copper,and 3/8 inch tube,I would guess 12 inches.Both ends would come out on top.The sand wont work,because it dont dissolve when you get it wet.You would never get it out of the coil.
I like using gas because I can control how much money I spend on it.If you sudenly start using a large amount of electric,the power company may tell the cops,and you might get a visit.They would think you were growing pot or something.They would be supprized,but you would still be in trouble.Im going to find a old hot water heater{gas} and get the burner out of it.It will have to be a 50-60 gallon.Ive seen some real nice burners made from these,and they dont burn as much gas as the jet burner I have,and they heat better.
If you could make the glass idea work it would be cool.
wineo"
Offline pj_lily  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 4:38:01 AM(UTC)
pj_lily

"Hey Guys,
Thanks Wineo. I used the sand for my single direction coil and had no problem, but I can see the difficulty with a coil coming back on itself. So how did you get all the salt out? Did you hook up the coil and let the water just eventually dissolve the salt and get through?
Only 12 inches for a condensor with 3/8? I would have thought more. I guess I'll find out. Wind the inside 3/8 coil around a 1 inch pipe and then the outside coil back up around a 2 inch pipe? All inside a 3 inch pipe... Do you suppose it matters much if the tubes enter the condensor at the top or the bottom?
So, used regularly (and suddenly) the electric heaters use up that much juice to be noticeable by Big Brother? Living in Berkeley I believe pot has been grown here before, so they might indeed sit up and take notice. Thanks for the heads up.
And ya, I think the glass condensor could be really groovy looking, especially if I can get the double coil perfect. But no comments on the tubes for packing? Tubes the length of the column and twisted for a little extra length? Is there a tube smaller than the 1/4?
Still thinking and drawing. And waiting for the rum wash...
Yours,
PJ Lily"
Offline pj_lily  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 4:54:26 AM(UTC)
pj_lily

"Hey All,
Oops. This whole thread should have been submitted under ""Building a Distiller"". My bad. Sorry.
Any way to move it over there....?
PJ Lily"
Offline admin  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 10:45:23 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yes, we can move threads around. Done!:)
Offline pj_lily  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 11:06:06 AM(UTC)
pj_lily

"Sweet!!!
You're the best!
Thanks,
PJ Lily"
Offline wineo  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 1:08:14 PM(UTC)
wineo

"PJ,you hook up the coil to the water,with a tight connection.It might take a while,but the water will dissolve the salt.I would wind the coil first,and then
figure out the housing size.You can start winding the coil on a piece of 1 or 1 1/2 inch pipe,and when you get it 12 inches long,start winding it back up,and on top of the first layer.When you get it wound up to the top,you will have both water connections on top.No fittings to mess with,just a 1 piece coil.
Just make sure that the copper is completly full of salt.It would take two people to do this.You crimp one end,and pour the salt in with a small funnel.
You have to keep tapping on the copper,with a piece of wood or something,
so the thing gets really full.Once its filled up,you can bend it around all you want,and it wont kink,or flatten out.But its got to be really full.Just crimp the other end,when its full.Leave extra tube on both ends,and cut them off when your completly done bending.
Wineo"
Offline pj_lily  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 1:33:12 PM(UTC)
pj_lily

"Wineo,
And you think that I can get a 25' piece of 3/8 tubing where? Orchard? Home Despot? I can probably play around with a 25' of 3/8 rope to get a feel for what the length of the inside coil would be compared to the outside coil.
For the exterior cooling tubes, to and from the pump - stay with the 3/8?
Was it you who said they bought a slightly larger pump they felt they needed because the cost differance was negligable?
I promise a framed photo of the still for all your help. Hey, are folks still planning to go to the Georgia meet'n'drink?
Yours,
PJ"
Offline lucanboy  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2007 3:16:13 PM(UTC)
lucanboy

"Hi
Just wondering why you use salt for the coil. I use water.Fill the copper line with water and solder both ends.You can't compress a liquid,so it won't kink.When you are finished bending, just cut the ends and drain the water. Later"
Offline pj_lily  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:07:45 PM(UTC)
pj_lily

"Lucanboy,
Well bend me over. I don't see why not. Takes a new guy bringing in new ideas. LOL!!!
Thanks!
Wineo. What'ya think?
Thanks again Lucanboy.
Yours,
PJ Lily"
Offline wineo  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:31:52 AM(UTC)
wineo

"Thats the first time Ive heard of using water for coiling copper.Great idea!!
It makes sense that it wouldnt kink,as long as its full,and sealed up good.
I will give it a try,the next time I make one.
wineo"
Offline PUGIDOGS  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:51:56 AM(UTC)
PUGIDOGS

I have seen it work before, just be carefull, one air bubble and you can get a kink....Pugi