logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 9:19:45 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

Groups: Registered

"anyone heard of this? When I was a kid in the hills of the carolinas, an old dude showed me two gallon jugs of his 'shine - one had cherries in it, it was all red and looked like wine, the other had cherries, but they were all white and so was the 'shine.

He told me his stuff was a bit hard to swallow hot off the still and he mellowed it by putting in the cherries and letting it age for 6 months or until it all went white and clear.

it was smooth - who knows how strong it was, probally full strength at 90% abv, everyone was drinking (sipping) it (the clear stuff) in very small glasses. And it did do its job and it was smooth."
Offline brew  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 10:40:04 AM(UTC)
brew

Heard of this with grappa, but not whiskey. Some old timers gave me shots of grappa with the bottle full of cherries a few years ago, and it was clear they didn't take out foreshots, heads or tails. It was the worst spirit I ever had in my life, and it percolated in the back of the throat threatening to come up at any time. They said it was on cherries for 6 months. Never touched grappa again.
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:24:05 PM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

oops, this probally shoud have been put under vodka - I thik it was a neutral spirit.