logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wineo  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 6:56:36 AM(UTC)
wineo

Groups: Registered

"Hey all,here is my new try for a good malt whiskey.I ran the grain through the barley crusher today,and im going to mash it tomorow,
after i do my weekly UJSM run,and im going to use 2 gallons of corn backset to start the mash.I will be mashing in a cooler,and will leave it
till the next day. I will split this grain into 2 buckets,and ferment on the grain,useing w/d yeast w/ag.
10lbs of american 2 row pale ale malt
1 lb of american 6 row vienna malt
1 lb of wheat malt
1/2 lb of flaked barley
3 lbs of cleaned oats {horse feed}
1 1/2 cups of flaked rye {for a hint of rye}
9 lbs of corn sugar
I am shooting for a starting sg of 1080
I have never mixed it up this much for whiskey,but im trying to make a
complex flavor profile,for some good malt whiskey,so off we go into the great unknown! Ive done this kind of thing,making beer with good results,
and this aint much different. Tell me what you all think,good or bad cause
a 2nd openion is always a good thing.
I added the backset from the 1st run to the 2nd mash,and used the old grains that were left from the first ferment with 9Lbs of corn sugar.
I oaked it with JD barrel chips,and added some honey.
This recipe will make a good irish whiskey,and is one of the best ones Ive made.
wineo"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2007 10:43:35 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Been waiting to hear how this turned out. Have you tried it yet, or just letting it age longer? I prefer good Irish over scotch, so hopeing it was a total success, so I can try it also.

Thanks, John"
Offline wineo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2007 7:59:09 AM(UTC)
wineo

"It turned out real good.I have a liter of it with your name on it.Im lightly oaking the oat whiskey now,and when its done,you will get some of both.
wineo"
Offline Blueflame  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 11:29:44 AM(UTC)
Blueflame

sounds like you will have a lot of flavor profile. how much water did you end up using for the mash? how are the taste test going with it?
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 12:19:33 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"I have been studying up on irish whiskey. they say that the mix is
10 parts malted barley
7 parts un malted barley
1 part oats
1 part rye
1 part wheat.

After mashing and fermenting, this is tripple distilled in a pot still

My mash is still fermenting"
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:55:46 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

"can you put more detail on this?

""I added the backset from the 1st run to the 2nd mash,and used the old grains that were left from the first ferment with 9Lbs of corn sugar."""
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:50:07 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Davey,
Have to assume you are doing an UJSM no boil recipe, as you are thinking of re-useing grains?

Personally, I would not use more than 30% of the backset. Its fairly acid and could be too much. This is such an easy way for grain flavor. I do reccomend dispensing the pale used grains, adding equal quantity of new when restarting. You can then run the whole thing almost forever. I do also advise after the second run to add a bit of yeast nutrients to each new batch. Makes the ferment so much quicker."
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 03, 2009 3:31:56 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

I'm not doing it. I just want to know what it means. backset and so on.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 03, 2009 4:15:55 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: davey_homebrewer Go to Quoted Post
I'm not doing it. I just want to know what it means. backset and so on.

Backset is used for corn whiskeys. A percentage of the prevous runs left over stillage is added to the new ferment. Gives it the acid it needs and more consistant flavor profile.

Same is done when makeing rum, but there its called dunder."
Offline Wade  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 03, 2009 11:13:04 AM(UTC)
Wade

So are you talking about the stuff that didnt distill? Its one of my next missions but I really dont have a good idea on truly knowing what to do to make a whiskey.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 03, 2009 12:11:14 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
So are you talking about the stuff that didnt distill? Its one of my next missions but I really dont have a good idea on truly knowing what to do to make a whiskey.

Basically, you distill your first mash or grain wash if useing UJSM method. This is your sweet distillate. Then you would add from 25% to 50% pf the leftover stillage, ie. whats still left in the still, to the next ferment cycle.

To be perfictly honest, I like the fresh sweet flavor of the first batch the best. Actually like it more white dog, than aged with oak, but still like it aged and somewhat aired for a month or so.

I enjoy the pure and sweet corn taste."
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 03, 2009 12:24:45 PM(UTC)
Wade

Ill have to give it a try this winter but Im up to my ears in wine right now and have to get to bottling it and I have a lot to bottle. Thanks
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 8:33:24 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

"I am with you wade, I wish someone would give a step by step detail - sort of like ""how to make whiskey for dummies"" - explaining each step from start to end.

I realize it would be quite an undertaking, but the recipe at the start is very close, just needs some futher details - like the backset part. Does this mean you need to make two runs to get to the bottling step? or is backstep for other runs in future?"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 11:27:15 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"

Its adding what is left over in the still from the last run. It has a lot of flavors and acids that are in the tails and all. If doing an UJSM type run- a no mash or cook grain ferment- pour the boiling wash over the additional next batch of sugar to convert it. When cooled, pour over the left over grains and yeasts in the previous ferment.

For detailed imformation do a search on UJSM. I posted it here several years ago, and its on all the other forums also. Also posted a thread about DWWG Death Wish Wheat Germ, which is another very easy whiskey drink. Both are great white, and also age on oak well."
Offline Wade  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 12:16:55 PM(UTC)
Wade

Thanks, In a month or so Im going to start playing around with this stuff but right now Im up to my ears in wine making.
UserPostedImage
Offline mtnwalker2  
#16 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2009 1:43:56 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Wade. given my choice, I would never opt for a grain beverage over a really fine brandy. You can modify them so easily to your own pallete and taste. Some are great raw and white, and some really mature and develope with ageing. I am sure you have friends that make that off wne once in a while. If its shit make vodka, if almost a good drink make a brandy. I love split brandies also.
Offline Wade  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:52:29 PM(UTC)
Wade

I have a few off wines from when I started that need to be run through it. Now when i make an off wine I have the knowledge to fix it but back them I jsut sweetened it and was always in a hurry to get it in the bottle. I have a cherry and a raspberry that need to be run, they are not bad, just not up to par for me knowing what I know now.
Offline scotty  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:14:54 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
I have a few off wines from when I started that need to be run through it. Now when i make an off wine I have the knowledge to fix it but back them I jsut sweetened it and was always in a hurry to get it in the bottle. I have a cherry and a raspberry that need to be run, they are not bad, just not up to par for me knowing what I know now.

Wade
I'm going to play with a 50 pound bag of horse feed for more distilling experience then i will take another shot at Irish whiskey using the grain mix i pulled from some whiskey distillewrs website.

I cant wait but I am doing some mods to my stills first
BigGrinBigGrin
Scotty"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:32:27 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Wade
I'm going to play with a 50 pound bag of horse feed for more distilling experience then i will take another shot at Irish whiskey using the grain mix i pulled from some whiskey distillewrs website.

I cant wait but I am doing some mods to my stills first
BigGrinBigGrin
Scotty

Scotty, Some old timers really like the horse feed mix. Nowadays, it has changed a bit. Dried mollasses, and preservatives in some. Read the label.

You will have fun learning and experimenting.

If it doesn't work for you, just get the pure grains and mix you own with some mollasses. Or just the pure grains for an Irish."
Offline scotty  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:57:40 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Scotty, Some old timers really like the horse feed mix. Nowadays, it has changed a bit. Dried mollasses, and preservatives in some. Read the label.

You will have fun learning and experimenting.

If it doesn't work for you, just get the pure grains and mix you own with some mollasses. Or just the pure grains for an Irish.

Thanks Wade. I already have a feed store that sells 50 lb bags for 6.50 and no preservatives. I understand that horse feed and deer feed with preservatives would harm the animals"