logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:38:19 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

got a few details to iron out before I start.

after reading on this forum, what I get is to throw together the 13-15 pounds of dark dark sugar with a pound,or half gallon,of mollasses, do the ferment thing with my turbo yeast.

now the clarification. I have read to do the pot still method ,i got the extracter pro series, so that is easy, just lose the top reflux part,
But I have read to stuff a bit of copper mesh at the bottom of collumn, then add some rings , I got both, on top of that and keep the head temp at 178 F.

Or do I just keep the head temp at 178 F and not mess with the copper and rings?
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:20:54 AM(UTC)

Well for what its worth, here is a 23 liter Rum:

4# cane juice sugar ,mexican cane flavored,
10#dark brown sugar
3tsp yeast nutrient
3tsp yeast energizer
1tsp lemon juice
1 pint breir rabbit full flavor/unsulphered

Heat and mix till all sugar/molasis is disolved. Use whip 2 min until full of oxygen. stir the yeast food in to cool sugar solution. Mix together and water down to 23 liters.

Add:
2 pks of EC1118, pitched at 76 ,df,,no starter, straight to surface, yeast falls to bottom and the good ones float back to top in about 15min.

Starts perking slow within 30-45 minutes. Keep blow off tube handy. ,just in case,
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:39:08 AM(UTC)

Hey guys for the record, for 25 ltrs I use 16 lbs of dark brown sugar a pint of breir rabbit unsulfered, and a pack of Turbo 48. Then I do a full reflux running between 85 top 90%. That's all there is to it. No fuss no muss. Make great rum everytime.

Cheers
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:58:52 AM(UTC)

Yeah I know, its lots easier. Trying to stay away from turbos though myself. More for the reason of doing things with what is easily available at the local stores. On top of that I don't have any 6.5 carboys or room for any. The other reason is turbos seem to have a clearing problem and stinky smell that floculating ,sp?,yeasts just don't have in a pot. I won't have a reflux either just a small pot, pipe and worm bucket. If I had the reflux column that would be the way to go though.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:31:56 PM(UTC)

so let me get this right, I do it with the reflux and the copper packing? I thought that would just make a neutral spirit? I thought to get the flavor it was supposed to go traditional method?

And what is breir rabbit unsulfered?
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:24:33 PM(UTC)

Brew:

I've never had any problem with turbos clearing or smelling but I can understand using local stores.

Davey:

Don't worry about losing flavor with the reflux. Just run it a bit faster and look to pull your drip at 85% instead of trying for the 95 or 95% you would in a netural. There will be plenty of flavor there.

Good luck to both of you.

Cheers
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:30:38 AM(UTC)

Davey: Brier rabbit is a brand name of molasis that has been sold in the US for decades.

One more question since we are talking rum. Everyone makes white and gold rum. White being regular and gold being on apple or oak chips or casked.

What is a valid method of making dark meyers style rum? From what I can imagine, its the white dilluted partialy with a filtered rum wine wash. Or am I way wrong here?
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:53:26 PM(UTC)

Hey all rum lovers,
First of all, a single run of a mollasses wash is not rum, any more than a single run of grains is a sour mash whiskey. It has to be set back with the dunder into the lees. There are certain technics and specialized cuts involved for the best flavored rums.

There are specific and artful instructions from Harry, and Pint O shine in in the artisan-distiller.org forum. see the recipie section. Veru difinative, and detailed.

On the other hand, a good drink is a good drink. Elricko's recipie is a good drink. Been there done it. Your choice, if you want to copy a taste, or just enjoy.
#9 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 3:14:34 AM(UTC)

Thanks John. I wasn't aware of the advanced site, though I doubt they want all my newbie questions. I think I will crawl along for a bit before walking. Elricko has the best method for quick and easy. I had planned on the back set and second, but this was entirely a laziness plan. I can see how the complexity of taste needs to build now that you pointed this out. Thanks for the tips. Much apreciated.
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 4:50:18 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

Groups: Registered

"HELP!!!

ok, well I made my sugar/molassess mix, tossed in some turbo 48, waited 3 days, then used 1/2 of it - looked like coffee and milk - used traditional non reflux method runnng it a bit hot 80-84 degree C to maybe get some flavor thru.

Well ended up with about 80% abv, clear liquid (yes, tossed the first 50 ml heads) that when mixed half and half with H2O to get 80 proof does NOT taste like rum, and in fact smells like..., well, I don't know how to describe it except as a bit unpleasant, tart, rocket fuelish.

I guess I will try Elrickos reflux method, but what is going wrong? Don't have a lot of hope for reflux to give rum taste when non reflux winds up funky/

IF the sugar molasses was still bubbling a bit would this affect it?"
Offline brew  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 8:22:55 AM(UTC)
brew

"I think your issue is not clearing the yeast. If you boil the milky colored solution what actualy happens is the cells pop open and spill their insides which gives a funky flavor. You also need to wait till it no longer bubbles, even if its several days longer than the product says. as long as it bubbles its still not done.

My buddy had a problem on the first round too. He used sparkaloid and didn't wait, so the same thing. A wash also like a wine will refuse to become clear if it still has CO2. Usualy it takes a couple days after degassing to be see through and crystal clear. He bought the two stage agent from liquor-quick and says its way better. I use chitosan and all three agents still take 24-48 hrs or more to get clear although chitosan is a little slower. Wine making is good training. Make a white or chardonay and its about the same thing.

Old timers will tell you to whip 2-3 egg whites for 5-6 gallons and stir till your arm falls off to clear a mash. Same 48hr wait."
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 9:11:38 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

I thought maybe that might be it, but wasn't sure, figured only the good stuf would distill out. I will sit and wait and let the rest of the 3 gal simmer for awhile and try again.
Offline pj_lily  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 8:05:24 AM(UTC)
pj_lily

"Hey All,
Davey, I am SO glad you posted your Rum result. I'm going with the same recipe, and though after a slow start, it is now fermenting along fine. I, as you, intended to do no reflux as I wanted more taste. Apparently one DOES need to reflux.
Elricko, I was going to ask about the still on full reflux while doing the Rum. Why is that? My learnin' is that more reflux equates to less taste; and your reflux is on full. Well I will certainly keep mine there as well when I distil. But why is it that way? Am I confused with something else?
Please explain!
And Davey, thanks againfor posting your results. We all get to learn that way.
Yours,
PJ Lily"
Offline brew  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 9:27:22 AM(UTC)
brew

"What some guy told me:
For a pot you toss fores, and collect everything down to the acrid smelling point including all of the heads and most all of the tails till you get to that nauseating smell, cutting off a little after that comes on. Then salt it down and pot again, tossing fores again, and seperating in lots of small containers. check them a couple days later when you have a 'fresh' nose thats not 'funked up' from running the pot, and can make the proper cuts for hearts and flavor with the other ends some to taste. Run those out or toss back in the next batch.

What I hear when I listen to all that:
Run twice, save hearts on second, use rest to kill weeds.

Of course I am often wrong, and misscommunicate most of the rest of the time."
Offline cranium  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2007 12:59:52 PM(UTC)
cranium

Hi all, I live in a village that has adopted a local option to prohibit sale and importation, but not possession. I recently paid my respects to the greybar hotel for manufacturing my own for my own consumption. Does anyone know of laws like this and is it illegal to do such things as make my own in my own private dwelling? This is Alaska law. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#16 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 5:33:58 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

"I imagine your local govt can make whatever laws they like if it is done by the letter of law and vote etc, at least in terms of ""dry"" laws. And as far as I know, distilling in the USA is illegal - federal law, and even though Alaska is way the heck up there, you are still part of the good old USA. I imagine the ""importation part of that law is importing for resell and not for bringing it in for your own consumption. I know that in the lower 48, where those type of ""dry"" counties or towns exist, it means driving to where you can buy, purchase a bunch, take it home, and when you are out, repeat the process.

Sounds kinda of a bad deal. Next option is to get involved in local govt and change the law.

(and cranium, not to pick on you, but this thread is for Rum, probally better to post your kind of question in the appropriate area - maybe General Qustions? plus you are much more likely to get more answers)"
Offline brewstermania  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:59:43 AM(UTC)
brewstermania

i work at an ethanol plant and ive found that when running my overhead temp 171 or hotter it puts more water in with the spirits try running your overhead around 169 170. keep the bottom around 190.
Offline beerbugger  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 9:05:50 AM(UTC)
beerbugger

"
Originally Posted by: John Go to Quoted Post
Hey all rum lovers,
First of all, a single run of a mollasses wash is not rum, any more than a single run of grains is a sour mash whiskey. It has to be set back with the dunder into the lees. There are certain technics and specialized cuts involved for the best flavored rums.

There are specific and artful instructions from Harry, and Pint O shine in in the artisan-distiller.org forum. see the recipie section. Veru difinative, and detailed.

On the other hand, a good drink is a good drink. Elricko's recipie is a good drink. Been there done it. Your choice, if you want to copy a taste, or just enjoy.

Hey John I have a question for you.
I am almost done fermenting the seccond wash of my first rum and I have pretty high hopes.
My first 6gal wash was 4 lb each molasses and brown sugar, enough white sugar to bring the sg to about 85 and pitched with 1118 (not a fan of turbos).
The seccond wash is the same stuff added back to the dunder and lees (minus the yeast of course).
I have saved about 1/2 gallon of 70% distilate from the first run to add as feints to the seccond.
How many times should I do this to get a nice full flavor?"
Offline biskitman  
#19 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 6:10:28 AM(UTC)
biskitman

Didnt let it ferment out completely or clear, these are a must!
Offline al_the_chemist  
#20 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2008 10:06:38 PM(UTC)
al_the_chemist

"Hey Davey, and all you Rum loving gents out there.

Haven"t been on for a while, hope this information will still be of some use.

After about 8 not so great runs I think I"ve finally managed to make a decent Rum. from what I"ve read, we"ve all been running into the same initial problems.

Feflux Vs. Pot:

Reflux distillation is not just a method of striping out the purest ethanol from your wash (which seems is where the mind tends to go), It"s a method of more accurately breaking down your vapor into its components by temperature. This is actually a great help with Rum. Like John mentioned, understanding your cuts is of great help. And with reflux, you can get rather "clean" cuts.

With a pot still, you"re going to grab a general mishmash that will probably make a good drink, but will rob you of any control of your final product in terms of tinkering with flavor.

Funky smell/taste:

There are a couple of things to consider. One is sulfur. Molasses leaves behind a rather large amount of sulfur in its fermentation, this sulfur will come through in your distillate, and yes, it smells and tastes rather funky. Copper is nature"s sulfur sponge. The more contact with Copper the better when distilling Rum. This also goes back to using a reflux column. Packing a tall column with copper mesh will greatly reduce the sulfur content.

Another thing I ran into is Ammonia (talk about smell). Due to its volatile nature, it comes through VERY strongly in the distilling process. Using turbo yeast actually makes this more of a problem. Turbo comes with its own addition of DAP, when the yeast feeds on the DAP it seems to slurp up all the phosphates and leave behind the ammonias. Turbo yeast also comes with Ph balancing components that keep the wash pretty neutral. This is once again great for the yeast, bad for the ammonia.
Combine ammonia and sulfur and you got yourself something that smells like rocket fuel.

The good news is that lowering the Ph level to around 3-4 ish (roughly the acidity of house hold vinegar) will make the ammonia solidify to a crystal form and sink to the bottom of your drum (you can use citric acid additive, or even lemon juice).

If you want to avoid all the hassle of making cuts, I found that collecting everything through to the lower cuts (around 90c) will give you a heavy rum and stopping at around 82 (middle cut) will give you lighter Rum.

Just a quick word of aging. The Rum flavor you"re used to will most likely not be present right out of the still. Rum seems to have pretty complex esters in it that need to break down and release those sugary aromatics. Contact with oak seems to speed up this process and also add a rather distinctive "golden rum" flavor. In general I find that aging it around a month is a good start for letting the flavors come through.

Sorry for the lengthiness, hope this helps someone out there!

Happy Rum"en!

Al"