logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2007 6:48:20 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hey all,Just ran all this grain through my mill,to get it ready to mash.{didnt grind the oats}
10lbs 2row pale ale malt
1lb vienna malt
1lb wheat malt
1/2lb flaked barley
1 1/2 cups of flaked rye
2lbs of quaker oats
7lbs of corn sugar
Im going to mash this tomorow after my weekly UJSM run and use 2 gallons of corn backset in the mash.Im mashing in a cooler,and will let it mash till the next day,then add the corn sugar.
Going to use the whiskey distillers yeast/w ag.
and put this grain in 2 buckets.I used a mashing calculator at tastybrew.com,and its giving a starting gravity of 1080sg.
wineo
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2007 3:11:12 AM(UTC)

Wineo, Your wine and beer skills are showing. What a great background for this art also.

This ought to make a really fine whiskey.

Thanks also for the elderberry imformation. Definately going to get some going.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2007 3:41:49 AM(UTC)

Wineo,
What type of product will this grain mix be? I need good recipe for corn whiskey. There are recipes out there that say boil, some mash at 150...Since I brew beer I don't under stand the boil. I want to convert starhches at 150-155 then ferment. Just not sure where to start. I have made rum and sugar wahes and did rye whiskey . The corn just not sure.
wvriver
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:22:08 AM(UTC)

It will be a malt whiskey,but not a single malt.
This mix is experimental,so we will have to see how it turns out. When they talk about boiling,their probably talking about geletination of uncooked grains before mashing.Some times when useing cane sugar,you boil it with citric acid to invert the sugar.
Do you make all grain beer?Its almost the same process,without the mashout{to stop the enzymes} and the boil.
wineo
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:34:30 PM(UTC)

Update,Well the mash is in the cooler at 158f.I didnt use the quaker oats. I used cleaned oats{whole}and cracked them in the barleycrusher.I used 3Lbs of them,not 2.Mashed with 95% UJSM backset,and a little cool water to control the mash temp.Going to leave it in the cooler till tomorow,to get a good conversion.The malt enzymes must have really liked the backset because it was getting sweet before I finished getting all the grain in there.
wineo
#6 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2007 2:55:33 PM(UTC)

Update,well i racked the wash tuesday into some carboys to settle,and loaded them in the still tonight.I ran it in my stripper column nice and slow,and collected it in 12oz bottles.I got 1 1/4 gallons,off of 26ltrs.The heads were not too harsh,and tasted like scotch with no peat. the middle was a little spicy,but not harsh.It tasted kinda sweet,with a scotch taste on the end. Tasted the tails, and no suprize,a little like wet cardbord,a little sweetness,and a scotch taste on the end.Still not too harsh.Im sure it will change after it airs out for a day or two. My experiment turned out to be irish whiskey,for sure.If you added some peated malt,it would make a good scotch.{like a single malt}I ran it down to 20%,and that last bottle still wasnt too harsh.
wineo
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 3:02:49 AM(UTC)

Wineo,

Please keep us updated on the final effect, and how much heads and tails you added. Also, if doing this again, would you choose to add the peated malt, or still run it as Irish. Irish is good. Whaat if any changes would you make to the grain bill?

Did you use any packing in the stripper column?

Thanks.
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 5:46:29 AM(UTC)

John,I have a 2nd batch going off the grain from the first one.I only added 5Lbs of corn sugar,and 2 tsps of amelaze.No backset.I did use 2 small ss scrubbers in the column.My last two runs I ran the stripper empty,and it seems that the distillant{heads/tails}have more hangover propertys,so i put them in there to clean it up some.I will have to wait and see how much it mellows out,to know if i want to use the peated malt.I may combine this run with the next one,but the 2nd one may be different,so who knows?It tasted like a mild scotch last night,but will change some in the next day,or two.I will keep you informed.
wineo
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2007 2:35:06 PM(UTC)

Update,I ran the 2nd batch,let it set for 2 days,and made my cuts.It tastes real close to the first run.My cuts were about the same on both batches.I took 200mls of foreshots on both runs.I didnt use the first 48ozs of heads,and left out 36ozs of tails.I mixed both batches together today{in a 3 gallon carboy}and added 6 charred oak stix{thanks for the stix pint}.I will have to see how long it takes to color up.I may add some JD chips,in a week.This recipe makes a smooth malt whiskey,with a scotch flavor on the end.If you added some peated malt,this would taste like a good single malt scotch.I beleve it taste smoother than glenlivit now,without the oak,and its uncut.{130 proof}
Wineo
#10 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 12:58:46 AM(UTC)

Hey Wineo,

'If you added some peated malt,this would taste like a good single malt scotch.I beleve it taste smoother than glenlivit now,without the oak,and its uncut.{130 proof Wineo'

You're saying a lot there, but I have always enjooyed a good Irish as much as a good scotch.

Got to get me one of those 20 gal. fermenters as well.