logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:42:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

i started a new mash today{my first all grain}
and heres what i used,15lbs cracked corn,soaked
in hot water for 3 days.mashed with 6lbs of 2 row
pale ale malt {medium crush},in 4.5gal of water.
mash temp was 150f.i put the lid on w/air lock,
and put a old coat on the bucket to keep in the heat.i checked the temp 4hrs later and it dropped
to 145f.{checked through the air lock hole}
im going to leave it over night to get good
conversion{hopfully}and pinch tomorow with some
w/d yeast and see what happens. will check s.g
and temp.in the morning.
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:14:02 PM(UTC)

Wineo,

To my thinking you have an absolute perfect start. Are you going to do a raw and fast stripping run, set back and do future sour mash runs? Add the first sweet run to the next sour mash run, or save all stripping runs until enough collected to do a spirit run?
The last is what I do, except, I seperate all high heads, and low tails of each stripping run and add to the next stripping run. Boosts the ABV of the low wines, and continues to strip the good from the bad.

You may want to continiously add some AG or liquid Beano with the yeast for better conversion of the complex sugars.

You are on your way to makeing some really good corn whiskey!
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:04:38 PM(UTC)

john,yes i will do a fast stripping run with my short column,and save for spirit run.do you think i should use any packing in the column? its a 8in piece of 2in copper reduced to 8in of
1.5in copper and a 12in leibeg cond. at 45dg. downward.the last run i put 1 s.s.scrubber in there and it raised the % some. i figured i would use 25% backset and add 4 or 5lbs of corn sugar, and skim out all the spent corn and replace the corn i remove first. i will try to keep the sg down some to keep the yeast happy.
this is my 1st try at this,but it should work
out ok. i know alot about mashing beer,but this is a little different. if you have any input from your exp.i would greatly appriciate it.
#4 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2007 2:22:14 AM(UTC)

Wineo,

Your going to have some really good stuff awaiting your pleasure.

If you mashed and got a good conversion, won't all your grain be spent? Are you remashing and with the backset? I think a scrubber or 2 helps also.
#5 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2007 7:42:46 AM(UTC)

john, your guess is as good as mine.i will just
have to wait and see.i didnt cook the corn,i just put some 150f water in with it,stirred it up and put a lid on it.it sat for 3 days,so it probabely didnt get completely gellitinized.{thats what im hopin for} i think i'll soak more corn,and if i need to replace all that corn i'll have it ready to go. if i dont need it i'll start a new batch. i havent checked the sg yet,but will let ya know how high it got.
#6 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2007 10:21:43 AM(UTC)

update, well,so much for the best laid plans.
my w/d yeast is 3 days late,and my s.g.was lower
than i planned {1025},so i added 3lbs of corn sugar and pinched it w/2 packs of superior lager yeast.the sugar raised the s.g.to 1055.may add more sugar in a few days. i guess i'ii have to cook the corn next time. i wonder what would happen if i repinched it with the w/d yeast when it gets here?
#7 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2007 12:49:05 PM(UTC)

That is the big problem with parcel post- they seem to run with a different idea of 'timely delivery' than the rest of us. Pitching a second yeast if one is already active will generally do little. The active yeast will likely have fermentation completed by the time the second yeast has managed to build its colony up to a reasonable size.
#8 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2007 5:21:03 PM(UTC)

rick, usps is cheap but not on time! i almost used 1118 but thought the lager might work better.it will be slower,but should be very clean. ive used this yeast on beer up to 72f with no ill effects.
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:43:06 AM(UTC)

The Lager yeast is likely not going to reach above 6 or 7% ,at best,, but that is alright. While pitching a new yeast into a wash containing much alcohol will not be effective, you could, if necessary, make a starter with the Whisky Yeast, and then pitch this. That should get you many of the added benefits of this yeast strain ,along with the AG,, and at the same time ensure that you do not lose your batch to wild yeasts or bacteria, because the Lager will have taken hold.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:58:23 AM(UTC)

Wineo/Rick:

Just a quick comment about USPS parcel post and timely delivery. All I can say is you get what you pay for. Rick has the option of Priority Mail. The price difference is from 10 cents for a pack of yeast to a buck or two more for heavier items, but you get it in two to three days. If you opt for parcel post you save money but you need to understand that it is going to take longer. Parcel post is the last thing worked at the general mail facilities ,GMF, each day. Depending on where you live the parcel could travel through two to five GMFs with a delay in each. So it will get there when it gets there. That's why it's cheaper. Hey, I'm a retired Postmaster, what can I say.

Cheers
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:18:36 AM(UTC)

update,well its boiling along nicely at 72f. i added 4 crushed beano tablets and stirred things up a little.its got a nice yellow cap on it. going to add more corn sugar tomorow.
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:44:53 AM(UTC)

the w/d yeast is here,so i added it anyway.it just started up good last night so it will probably take over about the time the lager starts to fade. that beano really fired it up. big difference since this morning.{blowing water out the airlock}
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:07:09 AM(UTC)

Hey Wineo, a solution for that water blowing out of the airlock. Make your own airlock its easy and I feel better. Use a 3 - 4 foot piece of tubing in place of the airlock then take a 2 liter plactic bottle soda or pop depending on where u live in the country. Drill a hole in the top of the bottle for the tubing then three smaller holes to let the gases out. Fill three quarters with water and place the hose to the bottom. You dont have to keep watching the water and will last until u r ready to distill. Hope this helps.
pamike
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:01:47 PM(UTC)

mississippi mike, thanks for the tip.its not blowin chunks yet,but lost 1/2 the water in the airlock.i've got 2 of those w/ gallon jugs i use for beer.its calmed down a bit this evening, must have been the beano.
#15 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 12:23:59 PM(UTC)

Well its been a week now,and its still bubblin away.Has anybody done one of these cause im wondering how long it takes?The fermenter is at 72f
#16 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 1:00:41 PM(UTC)

Wineo,

Since you didn't do a really good boil on your corn, you probably have some unconverted starches, that the yeast is breakeing down to complex sugars, and the AG and beano are converting to simpler sugars for fermentation. Also remember, your ferment started several days late, and temp. may be not perfect? I have had as much as 6 days difference in my exactly the same formulations, in sugar, rum and grain mashes, with just a few degrees difference. Please relaxe and wait. BTW, for non grain , when it is done, I set it outside if its cold overnight, then bring it in and sparkaloid it, and its totally settled in 12 hours or so. If there's any ice slush, i discard it.
#17 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 3:48:07 PM(UTC)

john,i just had to take a peek tonight,and this is what i found, took a gravity reading since there wasnt much stuff on top. the hydrometor sunk to 1000sg. so i got out my bottleing bucket,that has a drain valve in the bottom,and got into my beer equpment,and found my s.s.braid from my brewpot. i hooked that braid up to the inside of the drain valve,and poured the liquid off of the corn{and 1/2 th corn too!}in the new bucket. added some water to the first bucket, and drained the bottleing bucket w/braid{filter} into a clean 5gal.carboy. the stuff is yellow and cloudy,but theres no pieces in it.i didnt get 5gals.only 4. had too much grain in there!
so now i have 2 buckets going. i put 1/2lb of d.m.e.and 1 cup of sugar in both buckets and put them on airlocks. hopefully this will keep the yeast going for a few days,till that stuff clears out,so i can run it and get some backset.probably wont get too much off 4 gals.,but its a start. any thoughts?
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:19:05 AM(UTC)

Wineo,

Congradulations, that works. What I do, take my siphon which has a baffle on the end, and mash it down into the grain, whick acts like a filter bed also. I get a pretty clear issue, which I go ahead and run without any problems. The spent grains have formed a definat layer on the top that is easly scooped off, measured and replaced with fresh grain. I've had no problems witn this, and it would save you a step or 2.
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:20:30 PM(UTC)

update, well I did the first run,and used the backset and sugar for sour mash.I had to sample some,just to see what it taste like,and its not bad for 1st run stuff.it has a corn smell,and a corn/whisky taste,not harsh.If it gets better every run then I think it will be some good stuff,with some toasted oak,and mabey some caramel in it.
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:21:12 PM(UTC)

Wineo, My experiance and taste also. I found that adding about one to 2 tsp of glycerine per liter made a nice difference.

I have aged some on oak chips, this is to give awa;y.

Weird as it may sound, what I enjoy nightly is a mix of the UJSM and some light rum. No coke, 7up or other needed.