logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 12:01:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I want to have a go at making some fruit brandies. I asked around and got quite a bit of non-overlapping information and its left me quite confused.

Here is what I have so far.
Boil the fruit in sugar to pasteurize it and create a syrup base form that fruit. Throw in yeast ferment and potstill.

What sort of initial gravity am I looking for?
What kind of yeast do I use? Will turbo yeast be too aggressive? Should I use wine yeast and some sort of nutrient?

As for distilling, what sort of temperature limit am I looking to collect? Or do I just go by drip flavor?

Any or all info will be much appreciated!

-The clueless one.
#2 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 2:31:17 PM(UTC)

Take your fruit and add water this is of course based on how much fruit you are using and what type of fruit. I use two cans of Vinter Fruit Base and make 5 gallons I believe the cans are 96 oz. a piece. I then add Campden tablets 1 per 5 gallons and let set for 24 hours. Then add your favorite wine yeast and ferment. The gravity will depend on what yeast your are going to use. I recommend Montechet or Champange. Let ferment all the way out then go to your secondary. Use clearing agents to clear the wine I use Sparkoloid which I love and does a great job. Then distill your fruit base. You will not want to carbon filer or you may strip away too much of the aroma and flavor. As I have said a lot of this depends on the fruit the amount of fermentable sugar in the fruit and the yeast. It is hard to give you a gravity without knowing this information. I usually shoot for 12-14 percent potential alcohol on my hydrometer, not sure of that gravity without going to look. Hope this helps you.
#3 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 6:27:23 PM(UTC)

very much so. Thanks!
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 4:39:34 AM(UTC)

I"ve looked at the Vinter Fruit makeup, and I can see that the base is already "broken down" and supplemented for a strong fermentation.
I guess I can bake boil and mash any fruit to reach the same starting point. Any ideas on what sort of supplement I can add to such a puree? The Vinter Fruit mention something they call "super ferment"?

As for the gravity, I guess I can always add simple sugars until I reach a potential of 12-14%.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:23:20 AM(UTC)

#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 1:15:45 PM(UTC)

I am not sure what type of fruit you are using I have a chart that tells how much fruit, sugar and water to use. What you are going to do is make a fruit wine then clear up the wine by removing all the fruit and pulp then distill. If you will let me know what fruit you have I will give you and ideal of how much ingredients to use.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:31:36 AM(UTC)

Not sure if its would be much help. I"m trying to use fresh prickly pairs cactus fruits ,Opuntia Cactaceae,. I used to make great juices out of them. Once they are strained of seeds, they have a really sweet and refreshing flavor. I"m really hoping to capture that in a sort of brandy ,or wine to start off with,.
My first attempt ended up tasting and smelling like the bottom of a 2-year-old garbage can. I didn"t pasteurize the fruit, I guess it could have been due to that.
Its quite a hassle to get your hands on a good quantity of these things, so I rather be better prepared before I butcher another attempt ;,
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:00:50 AM(UTC)

Hypothetical rookie question here.
Should "super ferment" contain any temperature sensitive organics, or is it more like a concentrated vitamin boost? I want to know if I can boil it with a fruit syrup.
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:04:48 AM(UTC)

Why would you want to boil it with the fruit? You would add it at the same point in the process that you add the yeast.
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:51:49 PM(UTC)

Boiling/baking the fruit does a few things.
For a start is has a similar effect to a campden tablet. It pasteurizes the fruit, killing any organisms that might involve themselves in the fermentation process and lend a "spoiled" aroma to the product.
It also helps break down the fruit and make its sugars more accessible to the yeast.
Boiling your fruit with the amount of sugar you plan for the fermentation will give you a kind of handy all in one syrup..
This is all regurgitated theory, I haven"t had any experience with it yet, I ant to learn all I can about it before I give it another go.

Anyone have any views on this?
#11 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 12:46:46 AM(UTC)

In all the years of making wine from whole fruit I have never boiled the fruit and I have always ended up with wonderful wine with a great fruit aroma.
#12 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 2:43:01 AM(UTC)

Instead of boiling the fruit, some people freeze it; if your batch is small enough and your freezer empty enough. This does not kill bacteria but it does break the cell walls. My understanding of sulfite is that you don't want to use it in a product that will be distilled. I don't remember if it is a taste thing or a sulfer concentration thing..
#13 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 5:53:15 AM(UTC)

c....fb,
Exactly why I ask ;,
I just cant find any fruit wine documentation referring to prickly pair. Only thing I could find was a PP infused mead ,made down under,, which is not really what I"m after. Vinter fruit base seems to be processed/pasteurized in some manner though. Will the process you mentioned work for unprocessed fruit as well?

Whitewater,
I also understand that freezing the fuit helps concentrate the sugars. Like in ice wine.
#14 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2006 7:45:32 AM(UTC)

ok here Is what has worked for me in the past all you do is boil the fruis in a straning bag for say 1/2 hour just depending on the fruit and the size ,tip it hepls using frozen fruit because a lot more cells are broken down, then you take the bag out and if you woud like add spices and suger at this time whil its still hot thene once cooled down to room temp add the chemicals and yeast,tip start the yeast in bowl abought 2 cups warm water for say 20 min helps fermentation, thene put the air lock on and your ready to roll. But I must point out if your looking for a wine like flavor it takes 1-2 months or sooner just depending on what yeast your using and what temp you ferment it at. If you are shooting for a fruity flavor and your usin g a pot still make sure its like lower than 250 or most of the flavor will come out
#15 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2006 8:53:00 AM(UTC)

Brenden Porter, Be sure what is under 250. Cant be S.G. or temperature. Maybe gallons?
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:48:31 AM(UTC)

Not sure what you"re referring to by 'straining bag' can you point me to an example?
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:55:20 AM(UTC)

well its a mseh like muslin bag on www.midwelstsupply.com they have some good prices on stuff
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:55:54 AM(UTC)