logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:59:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Anyone brew beer and use any of the leftover grains or hops in mashes for distilling? I brew beer and wine but am new to distilling and was wondering about the possibilities of getting something more out of those left over strainer bags of grains and hops. I'm not into AG brewing yet and not sure I ever will be so most of my leftovers consist of steeped apecialty grains and hops. I use DME for the main malts so there is nothing left over as far as that goes. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of reboiling and adding the resuting wort from leftovers to a turbo sugar wash. Anyone ever try anything similar to this? Could they be mixed as an addition to something else to produce something tasty when distilled or should I just keep ading the left overs to the garden mulch.

Open to ideas.

Allen
#2 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2006 2:43:26 AM(UTC)

Allen, I also brew beer but from all grain and wine from California grapes. If you want to use your left over beer you do not want the hops in the wort. When beer is distilled the hops become very concentrated making a very bitter spirit. If you enjoy strong hops then give it a try with a small batch before using a large batch that you would not enjoy. I have distilled wine and have enjoyed the grappa myself and with friends. Grapes spirits are great. DME would make a wonderful wash and I would use some 2 row and some barley and you would have a great whiskey base.
#3 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2006 4:27:16 AM(UTC)

Gotta love California Wines. Best in the world IMO. Not enough to make me leave the East Coast thoughUserPostedImageNext on my list is a Pinot Noir. From juice of course considering the season and my location. About the only grape I usually get fresh locally is Muscadine. Quite different but wonderful in it's own way. We had a large very old vine in the yard where I grew up and every sip today reminds me of being a kid in the branches of the Crepe Myrtle that supported that vine. The tree is gone now but that old vine is doing well on a trellis that took it's place.

Thanks for the tips. I can imagine the hops would come through rather strong. That doesn't leave me a lot in the way of leftovers considering I use DME for most of my wort but, I do always have at least some steeped specialty grains left. I will have to save some up from a couple of batches, maybe throw in a sack of DME and see what I can come up with.
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2006 2:49:32 AM(UTC)

if have used plentie of bad 5% ipa batchs that went hoping wrong and got 170 out of it waterd down to 100 bad bitter tast here carbond down to 70 tasts like vodka