logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2005 2:30:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Actually I am a distiller at heart and I know this is a little off the subject here but, can anyone tell me how to make a decent beer from some other grain than barley? And without a kit or some commercially prepared 'malt'. I read that the Greeks brewed beer from unmalted grains until someone else put them onto malting. Has anyone here ever tried an alternative grain, such as maize ,corn, or perhaps even a food made from grain such as 'Wheatina' or 'Oatmeal', to make beer?
I'm not very familiar with beer making sites and was just wondering if anyone here might know the answer!
Thanks,
Spirit Maker
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2005 2:23:28 PM(UTC)

Beer is a whole lot harder then neutral spirits. The act of destilling removes almost any mistake you could make.

If you want to start to brew beer I suggest you pick up a starter kit from midwest brewing and just follow the instructions. After you have done that a few times read how to brew ,which can come with the starter kit,. Cost you about $150 .
#3 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2005 12:47:07 PM(UTC)

I am a beer maker and wine maker at heart. If you want to make beer email me and I will send pictures of my brew system and some recipes for you to try. If you really want to make beer from whole grain be prepared to spend several hundred dollars. I can explain.
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:27:00 AM(UTC)

Hey Charles, this is another Charles. I have made my first batch of beer ,Dutch Lager, from a kit I bought at the local brewing supply place. It turned out pretty good I think, but now I would like to venture into mixing my own recipe. I would appreciate pic's of your equipment and perhaps a recipe or two if you wouldn't mind. Thanks, Charley L.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:33:59 AM(UTC)

I will send pictures to you, if anyone else is interested pleas email me and let me know. I found a book entitled Radical Brewing that I have found wonderful and have made several recipses from this book and all have turned out great. Malted grains are easier to work with and does not require a protien rest.
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:37:51 AM(UTC)

I to am an accomplished brewer of both beer and wine. I just stepped into the arena of distillation and almost ready for my first batch. I have a reflux system and from my understanding you have to 'cut it' to make it palatable to the some people. Can anyone give me some hints on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Brian
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2005 3:37:42 PM(UTC)

Brian, one rule of thumb is 50/50 water to alcohol. This is what I do when I make a second or third ,stripping run ,,removing nearly all the water,, to make it drinkable. I operate a small pot still so I generelly don't worry too much about too much alcohol. You, on the other hand should consider making this minimum cut!
Spiritmaker
#8 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2005 1:11:00 AM(UTC)

Good Morning Brian... I also was into the beer and wine making thing before stepping up to cooking some yeast poop.Still play with wine now and then, but cooking keeps me occupied.Far as beer..Must be I like the cheap stuff cause making my own never beat that nice aluminum taste of cheap beer..LOL.. Anyway running a reflux still correctly is going to make the alcohol content off scale as far as palatable drinking.50/50 is a good rule of thumb depends on where you want your finished product.In ONE run...DISTILLED water only..or it will cloud up your product.Trust me a .99 cents a gallon at Wal-Mart its cheaper then making your own..I love the essences that you can get..Bottom line is the alcohol is the same in any drink it all depends on how we want it to taste and at what proof.. that we can control. But the Ol Timers can definately tell which cooker I run mine on..But fellas fairly new to whiskey drinking are going after a known taste such as JD or SoCo or whatever..and that I just use essences..But they dont make a good ol Corn Liquor Essence ..so I have to use what Grand Pa taught me on his Old Cooker..To keep true whiskey drinkers happy...LOL.. Word of caution Higher proofs don't make better whiskey..Makes friend drunk quick and then ya can't remember how ya got there..LOL..They call it sippin whiskey for a reason..LOL..
#9 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2005 2:47:24 PM(UTC)

Right on Doc! I couldn't agree with you more! Just because it's 'rocket fuel' dosen't mean it'll be worth drinking! Some folks drink simply to get skunky drunk, but I think most of us want more than simply an alcohol induced stupor and a couple of 'lost' days. We like to enjoy the fruits of our labor and that includes flavor ,that IS why we make our own isn't it?, Stick to what you are doing, by making a reasonable cut, you not only avoid endangering your health, but you also get to enjoy th subltle essence flavors you add to it.
Spiritmaker
#10 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2005 9:53:00 PM(UTC)

No, spiritmaker, we're just looking for the stupor. ;,
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:02:08 AM(UTC)

Darn! An I thought it wuz sposed to taste good too! Oh well I guess if I'm in a stupor I won't care whut it tasts like, huh? Pass th piss pleeze?
Spirit,hic,maker
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:54:02 AM(UTC)

Hi everyone, Back from the far reaches of Brazil and back to the yeast poop, as it was effectionately referred to, but have a question for someone. My yeast, I have some turbo 24 and 48 and so far I haven't been able to get it to work. It just does nothing but sour. No gas nothing. I thought this stuff in th sealed bags was good to go for an indefinite time. Its been stored cool and dark...any ideas? Jimbull
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:35:54 AM(UTC)

Jimbull, sounds like one for Rick, but I'm curious, just how long ago did you buy this stuff anyway? Like you i thought it would last, but I'm not sure about several years or something like that. I'd be interested in learning what caused this too. Keep us informed.
Spiritmaker
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:56:02 PM(UTC)

Jimbull

No yeast is 'good to go for an indefinite time'. What is the expiry date on the packet? How long have you had it? By law it's supposed to have the best before date stamped on it.
#15 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2005 3:06:07 AM(UTC)

While Gert's products do have a BBE date, the only time that it is required by law is when the food product could contain spoilage bacteria or pathogens, and may not be safe beyond that date.
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:28:58 AM(UTC)

Guys, There is not a expiration date on this yeast that I can find, I did tear off a corner but I don't rember seeing a date on it. Anyway I have had iut about six months or so and it has been kept dark and cool. The 48 hrs turbo did not work either. Guess you can't keep the stuff too long. Oh well at 2 a bag not a real loss, but the sugar is relatively expensive, back to the drawiung board, fresh yeast and more sugar...Merry charistmas to all....Jimbull
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:47:00 AM(UTC)

I would like to get to the bottom of the problem, as we have had no reported problems with our yeast. Please feel free to contact me directly regarding this, or post your exact storage and procedure here so that we can resolve the issue.