logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, December 03, 2004 8:27:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

first add 1/2 cup of minutemaid pure orange juice, then add 1/2 cup of sugar, then add 1/2 gal. of water warm 75 degrees, then add 1 teaspoon of yeast nutriant, then make sure it is 75 degrees ferenhiet. then add one package of lavlin e1113 yeast, champain yeast let set till a NICE FOAM BEGINS TO START. then take mixture put in 1/2 gal. container and refrigerate till ready to use. this makes a yeast starter that is garanteed to meeet the needs of an avid distiller. simply add 1/2 cup to mash and ferment brewman34 please email me whith comments at [email="ens961997
yahoo.com"]ens961997
yahoo.com[/email]
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2005 7:32:17 AM(UTC)

no problems with animal feed grain and molasis most of the time. the dry molasis is not what you want at all it is full of protiens and solids as well. feed that to the animals or soak and starin test it then ferment it. feed molasis should taste sweet and bitter like blackstrap from the grocer. It is really too strong on flavor alone use about 3 pats sugar 2 part molassis by weight. It is unlikely that feed grade grains will create toxic distilates mostly high nitrates which are nutrients for the yeast. Probably safer to avoid them for beer most of the time they are not toxic just untested as thouroughly as human label. many lots get rejected cosmeticly for human use testing. cosmetics are kind of irrelevent in brewing. human consumption is such a small percentage only the very prettiest gets intrest. A single ton of barley will make over a thousand gallon of standard beer so demand is just not that great compared to production. A single farmer could keep bud or coors going for almost a month.
#3 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2005 7:55:27 AM(UTC)

Livestock molasses is fine. You are going to distill off all but the purist elements. I use five gallons of molasses and twenty five pounds white sugar. I've been successfull with plain old Red Star yeast. I threw in a half of a bottle of Beano just for luck and it took off like a rocket. Don't forget the twenty five gallons of water. My first run two weeks ago was a success through my newly built Reflux column. Distillate is coming off at 85%. I now have many new friends.
#4 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2005 10:29:00 AM(UTC)

I have asked before but I never received a response. Store bought, unsulfured molasses through a restaurant has preservatives. Will this ferment? Quentin, the only livestock molasses that I have seen had sulfur and was very bitter. Is that sound like the product you are using?
#5 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2005 10:35:00 AM(UTC)

I have asked before but I never received a response. Store bought, unsulfured molasses through a restaurant has preservatives. Will this ferment? Quentin, the only livestock molasses that I have seen had sulfur and was very bitter. Is that sound like the product you are using?
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:11:42 AM(UTC)

i responded to a thread about this once, but i dont know where it went. anyway, i used feed grade molasses ,with preservative, as an additive once. about a gallon to a total turbo 48, sugar wash ,25l, i dont know exactly why i substituted it for a certain amount ,exact amount i dont recall,of sugar, but i geuss i just wanted to see. anyway, it made the wash look spookily brown and it took forever to finish fermenting. so long ,about 4 1/2 days, if i recall, that i was skeptical about using it at all. anyway, i let it finish and refluxed it. came out ok, same as the pure sugar wash from times past. i realize the whole distillation in reflux completely negated the whole purpose and possible flavour enhancement for using molasses, but what the heck. i felt safer doing that after seeing colours and smells i wasnt too used to. I also, subsequently, consumed all of the finished product with no incident, aside from getting too gooned up at an Easter party, tackeling my fiance's cousin, and not remembering doing so, until the confrontation the next morning. that though, i feel safe, was not attributed to the use of molasses in the wash. sorry its limited, just figured i would share my experience.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:26:38 AM(UTC)

oh, i found my original post about this approx 35 questions down, titled 'quick wash question'