logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 01, 2004 5:31:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

take raisons about 5# and put in large stock pot,stainless,add about 3gal. water and boil for 10 minutes, then let cool. pour off juice and return to empty stock pot, then add 2# of peeled grapes, then boil for about 5 minutes. let cool then make sure to mash grapes well inside stock pot donot romove liquid. then bring to a rapid simmer add 6# of sugar,and stir till completely dissolved. then let cool to about 68 degrees. then add a tablespoon of chalk to lower ph, then one package of pot yeast. cover stock pot and let ferment for a week. then then using a large strainer remove all liquid. put liquid in five gal. carboy. add enough water to almost fill carboy. then make about 6cups of pure sugar syrup ,quick syrup, add slowly to batch let ferment for two weeks. you should have avery grape smelling distilling base. then distill in a pot ruflux distiller, single batch. should yeild close to one gallon of grapah hope you enjoy this authentique italian grapah recipe. brewman34 at [email="ens961997
yahoo.com"]ens961997
yahoo.com[/email]
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 9:42:50 AM(UTC)

How tight does the stockpot have to be covered? Is there alot of gas and fermentation?
Does sound tasty though.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 2:43:00 PM(UTC)

grappa is simply the left overs from wine used to make distilled brandy, use the stock pot too boil the ingrediants first then vent appropriately.usually I us a standerd lid for cooking, stainless an glass vented whith a small hole,then add to a glass caboy 61/2 gal. then fermaent for 10 days just the juice, strain everything else. this should make a very nice mash especially for pot distilling,I'm not an alc. head and prefer to make standerd 70to80 proof brandy Goodluck brewman34
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:29:03 AM(UTC)

Can you use regular store bought raisons for this? I've been told they've been coated with sulfides. What is the purpose of doing that and would they be safe to use?
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2005 1:42:03 AM(UTC)

come on you don't really expect anyone to peel 2 pounds of grapes do you? What is the purpose of peeling, grappa is made mostly of peels soaked in water anyway.Sometimes known as second pressing to vintners. I read a label on a box of raisons ,novel idea, it states ingredients raisins it is also labelled 100%natural sun dried so i have my doubts on rumors of oils or sulfer being added. that may have been an older method that has been replaced with improved procedures and apparatus. sulfering I beleive is a preservation aid for cut fruits mostly to prevent darkening mostly and secondly molds.