logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 3:07:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I'm just guessing and have not thought thru the logic completely, but...it sounds like a mismatch between the vapor generation rate and condenser's effectiveness, and/or somehow condensate is pooling somewhere until it reaches some level where it can then flow out..I dunno. This doesn't quite make sense.

Are you talking about a reflux column, and if so, how do you collect the condensate off the condenser--is this an offset condenser design where the cooling column sits off to the side of the reflux column?
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 3:21:24 PM(UTC)

I guess what I'm thinking is this: the temp begins to rise when the vapor contains larger percentages of water. I'm suggesting that this happens when you boil the wash 'hard'...with far too much energy input. There is, in effect, little reflux taking place--the vapor, in its entirety, is just being blown up thru the column.

If the condenser is effective enough, this high water content vapor is condensed anyway--giving you the unsatisfying and emasculating 70% ABV.

I use the 7.5gal 'pony' keg for my kettle. I crank that cooker up until I hear some action in the kettle, then I back it ALL the way down to a very, very small maintenance flame. I mean, the total height of the visible blue flame, measured off the burner, is about 3cm ,1 1/2 inches or so,. It's a fairly soft, silent flame--NOT your basic J79 in afterburn.

This arrangement results in a rock-steady low-60s reading for the first hour or so, followed ,without my intervention, by a steady climb-out to upper 60s or low 70s ,I'll have to look at my log,, where it stays for maybe about 8-10 hours. I'm describing my fantasy, smoothed data--actual results were not quite this perfect on my 2nd run.

Again..is this a 2' copper column 'In the Tradition'?
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 11:25:40 PM(UTC)

What are you useing for packing in your collum ? It's sounding to me like there's a restriction in there somewhere causing a 'surge' when the presure gets up , then a lull while the presure builds . This may well be utterly and totaly wrong , but you've not posted a lot of info to go on .
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2004 2:52:54 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the response. My column is the one from the book 'Building a Home Distillation Apparatus, A Step by Step Guide'. 2' column with large condensor parallel to the column. Water input and output to the condensor directly thru the column. I use a combination of rashig rings and broken safety glass for packing. Bought the rashing rings only to find out one bag wouldn't fill my column, so I added some glass.
One other difference from my original setup that I didn't mention; I changed the packing retainer in the bottom of the column from stainless mesh to a copper plate with drilled holes because of the different connection required to the beer keg.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2004 10:37:28 AM(UTC)

Has anyone used just molasses,dried, for a mash without any outside sugar? I just started a mash of 12 lbs dried molasses ,38% sugar,, sugar cane molasses, and started by mixing it with two gallons of hot water on the cooker. The problem was is that it immediately swelled and consummed the water completely up! I added six more gallons of water, brought it to 40'C and added yeast nutrient, two pounds brown sugar,just because I had it, and stirred very well and then threw the yeast,turbo48, and sealed her off. Oh, I also put in a tablespoon of DAP for good measure. I'm just expermentating with this batch as it is my first one with a valved reflux still. Anyway anyone got any suggestions or comments?..........Jimbull
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 11:51:05 PM(UTC)

To Anon... the original post , It is sounding to me like the glass could be acting as the restriction factor here , due to the fact that I have never tried it I cant be sure , I use a copper plate that is drilled with 1/4 inch holes for the base so I'm guessing that that's not the problem , a 1 liter bag of rings filled my colum to a couple of inches from the top ,2 to 3 in, which gives me a fairly good reflux rate . Not that I bothered to do the maths on it or anythig , but my run starts at about 93% abv and tapers down to around 75% at 2 1/2 to 3 liters of spirit , altho I run a valved reflux and could maintain a higher consistancy , at the end of the day a finished product of around 6 lit
40% suits me fine , but back to you.... you could try removing the glass and doing a run and see if this gives a more consistant flo. remember that if the ABV isn't as high as you'd like you can always distil it again.. or thro it in with your next batch , and don't 4get to dump your first 50-100 ml of spirit.....stils are like people , no two are exactly the same , and some are a pain in the rrrrrr s....... Good luck
#7 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 12:12:15 AM(UTC)

Jim , this post would have been better off posted in a diff heading... say the molasses thread for example . But ....if you're useing a valved reflux still then you're geared up to distil a neutral spirit , and as such it's a basic waste of time useing anything which will add flavour , better off to use sugar ,aroung 7 kg, and turbo yeast ,which will give a mash of 24 liters around 18%abv. Otherwise rip your packing out,shut the valves and go for flavour. I hope you didn't add the yeast at that temp,turbo yeast doesn't req nutrient by the way.
#8 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 2:41:29 AM(UTC)

Thanks again for the response. The glass worked fine with my other setup, but I'm thinking of ordering more rashig rings just in case. My first thoughts when this problem occured was that the condensor was leaking internally. I dropped the column on my garage floor and this created an external leak at the top of the condensor which I fixed. Even though I can hook up the water and plug the end of the output hose and nothing seems to leak, I'm going to take it apart and make sure.
#9 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 2:48:11 AM(UTC)

This being the first time on the forum, your right it should have been under another heading, oh well I got answers and I thank you for that. My point in using dried molasses is the cost. I get 50lbs for $5.25, a LOT cheaper thank sugar and was experminting to see if it would work and be cost effective. Will let you know on that. The package on the turbo yeast said to pitch at 40'C. Has experience taught you that that is too high? It started working almost instantly and had gas produced for 24hrs or so. its stopped now and at least slowed down 48 hrs later. I amgoing to distill it tomorrow and see what happens. will let ya'll know. Jimbull
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2004 5:18:16 AM(UTC)

anyone have a recipe for moonshine? tom
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2004 11:12:20 AM(UTC)

about 4 inches in 5 gal bucket and rinse clean
5lbs sugar. boil cracked corn and sugar 15 minutes in pot with about 3 1/2 gal water. cool quick to invert sugar ,i use little stream out back, once at 100 deg. F. put in fermenter and top with water until 5 gal reached. temp should be about 70 deg. F. stir like he-- for about 5 - 10 min. put 1 pack yeast ,i use ec-1118,and 5 tea. fermaid in luke warm water DON'T STIR. after yeast an nutrient sink add to your corn snot and stir in yeast. cover and let perk for 3 days stirring each day. 3rd day snot should have 1 1/2, 2 in. head on top with sg around 1.040 1.030 add 2 1/2 lbs. sugar and stir. sg should be 1.090 re-cover fermenter and wait until head is gone. strain corn from juice and rinse the corn with juice. pot still 2 x should get around 140 proof, enjoy! this recipe isn't real scientific anyways it's a hobby so have fun with it . ps. don't smoke while drinking it he he !
#12 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2005 9:47:12 PM(UTC)

MAKE SURE IT IS HUMAN GRADE NOT ANIMAL FEED BECAUSE IT WILL SERIOUSLY AFFECT THE END PRODUCT
#13 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2005 12:36:12 PM(UTC)

I use 25 pounds of cracked corn,from a feed store,-30 pounds of sugar-10 gallons of water and 20 packets of bread yeast. I buy a yeast brick from Sam's wholesale club. Put in a clean fermenter and stir 2x a day. I yeilded 14 quarts of 100 proof from this recipe.