logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2004 7:52:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Is there a difference in output quality or taste, between an all copper or all stainless reflux still? I've always heard copper was better.
#2 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2005 9:47:24 AM(UTC)

I have heard of all sorts of theories too, between copper stainless and even glass. It all seem like personal preference, like Ford or Chevy, but one thing seems to stand fast in all of my ,what is loosley described as, research.
Just about all, recommend some sort of copper packing or mash, in the reflux column. This not only gives alot of surface area for reflux, it is believed to aid with some sort of chemical reaction between the raw alcohol vapor, removing or neutralizing negative things ,either ions or odor or something like that,. I also heard that glass is too thermal resistant and does not as easily cool in the condensing worm as it does in copper or stainless. Also breakable.
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2005 3:36:34 AM(UTC)

labware is all glass and condenses just fine so that is not a problem. breakage is. glass alows visual observation which is why it is favored for labwork. metal is probably easier for most to fabricate. Copper is much easier than stainless for most people to work with. I have read swedish essays who frown on copper but they did not give details of their reason. With copper some concerns with sloder types are worth investigating such as no lead or cadnium. plain steel will disolve in acidic washes rubber has some trouble withstanding the hot vapors.
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2005 5:09:20 AM(UTC)

Copper removes sulfur compounds, such as hydrogen sulfide. The copper reacts with sulfurs and turns black. The result is a cleaner sweeter tasting and smelling distillate. If you use raschig rings for packing, try adding one chore-boy copper scrub pad to the column packing. I think you'll be peased with the results.