logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2003 5:17:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

If you know how to make alcohol from potatoes, please post recipe. Thanks
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2003 11:40:59 AM(UTC)

I had a go about 2 months ago. Seemed to work but I'm sure there's a more sucessful method.

Firstly I choped the potatoes quite small leaving the skin on. Then boiled them for 3 hours to break them down as much as poss. After this I cooled it to 60 deg C and added a generous scoop of malt. ,them malt used for making ale with the enzimes that break down starch.., Then left it over night and keeping it at 60 deg C. ,electric mash tun is handy here, It tasted rather sweet come the morningUserPostedImage

Not having turbo yeast I sufficed with a misture of wine and beer yeasts for no perticulaly good reson. The finished drink tastes rather dry.

-phil
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:31:38 AM(UTC)

Does any one have a recipe to make Irish poteen?
#4 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2006 8:03:03 AM(UTC)

an old recipe of poitin i heard of used oats, but people say that the irish used potatoes in it as well so here it is. In the oat poitin, thyed use beano, some sorta enzyme, so try that if u want
#5 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2006 8:04:29 AM(UTC)

i was responding to the potata guy with that one, and for poitin, just google it
Offline bronzdragon  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2007 3:05:08 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

Groups: Registered

"I've had good results with this in the past, as far as regular beer goes. I'm new to distilling, but this seemed like the info you needed. Just use a turbo yeast on it, instead of beer yeast.

7 pounds potatoes
3 pounds pale ale malt

The potatoes are peeled and then mascerated or blended up. The grain is milled as usual to make a beer or a mash for distilling.

Make a thick grain mash at about 155-160F. Stir in the potato mush and then top off with about an inch of 172F water.

The enzymes in the ale malt will convert the potato starch. After 30 mins or so, test for starch conversion and recirculate the wort a bit to clear it up.

This recipe will yeild a wort of approximately 1.050 in gravity. If you want a higher gravity, adjust the ingredients appropriately.

As I noted, I've not distilled yet, but this makes good ""potato beer"" so I figured it was close to answering your question.

~r~"
Offline yo mamma  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:22:14 PM(UTC)
yo mamma

Groups: Registered

"Just want to make sure that everyone involved understands that poitin is NOT a beer or wine. It is an illicit spirit that is usually distilled in some homemade pot still. Poitin is basically the same concept as moonshine.

So, those who answered about how to make poitin.....and asnwered using the words ""grains"" and ""mash"" know what they are talking about. There is at least one more step after the prefered ""grains"" are ""mashed"" in order for it to be poitin and not some vile beer BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

Oh, by the way, when I say poitin is basically the same concept as moonshine.....I mean this :

In america, moonshine is any illicit alcohol made by fermenting a mash/beer, then DISTILLING it......usually without consent of the law. It can be made out of damn near anything that will convert starches to sugar......or it can be made of store bought sugar and other ingredients. It's just a generic name for home made alcohol (whiskey/vokda/rum, whatever).

In ireland......the just call it poitin instead of moonshine. So your grain bill/ materials list is going to differ greatly depending on what you want your finished spirit to taste like. I prefer using oats BigGrin

by the way........if you are really interested, do a google of ""home distillation of alcohol"". Them boys know what they are about."