logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2003 9:48:47 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I've eventually got a fairly good whisky flavour happening. I soak some neutral alcohol
45% abv with oak shavings - approx 6 tsp of virgin oak + 3 tsp of toasted oak for 2L of spirit. It only needs about a week or so to get the flavour and colour it needs.

I have some crystal malt grains, and some black porter? malt grains that I have soaked in some 75% spirit - enough liquid to cover the grains by an inch or so.

Likewise, i have some peat ,from the gardening shop, that I toasted in a covered can, and have also been soaking with some 95% alcohol.

I add about 4-6 teaspoons of the liquid from both the malt and the smoked malt to the oaked spirits.
Comes up really nice - just like the Islay malts. If you're not so much into the smokey flavour, just use less or none.

Just for fun, i sometimes add a couple of peppercorns ,for a little heat,, a teaspoon of dark honey, some vanilla pod, and or some port to the whisky - they all add a nice touch to it.

Tony
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2003 5:09:12 AM(UTC)

Does anyone have a recipe for using Whiskey with AG? John
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2004 1:07:34 PM(UTC)

I have a empty coors keg, i would like to use it to make a keg still. I have made beer for years but never white liquor ,Moonshine,. All my friends are asking me to make some Shine so here i am. Where do I start. I have looked at Essential Extractor column with connector as a option to getting started but would like more input on this
#4 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2004 10:25:00 AM(UTC)

I´m trying to build an Esential Extractor. Would you like to help me...? thanks
#5 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2004 10:37:14 AM(UTC)

Hello Jairo, Rick at Brewhaus or myself sells the perfect column that fits right onto a Sanke Keg. It will produce on the average around 194 proof in reflux mode or just drop the lower section off and run it in a traditional pot still mode. Either way, it works great. We sell the complete unit on a 29.5 quart kettle with everything you may need or we could sell you just the column. The columns are the same so they will fit our kettles or a Sanke keg. We do not offer Sanke kegs. Thanks Tommy Miller www.brew-usa.com [email="tmiller
brew-usa.com"]tmiller
brew-usa.com[/email]
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2004 2:34:29 AM(UTC)

Try this web site it might help.
http://www.homedistiller.org/
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2005 3:47:22 AM(UTC)

black patent? An umalted toasted barley if i remember. NIce work It sounds much cheaper and easier than starting with grain and haveng to remove or deal with them during the process.
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:24:34 PM(UTC)

I've been having some amazing results using a process similar to Tony's. I use a nuetral spirit at about 50% ,I jokingly call it cask strength,. I put 3 Litres in a glass jar with 2 cups of the medium toast oak chips ,available on the brewhaus site,, one cup of RINSED crushed charcoal,also from brewhaus,. A couple of peppercorns, little vanilla extract, little honey, 1/2 cup pulverized wild rice 1/4 cup raisins, and two tsp of my secrete ingredient - Guinness! I try to age it as long as possible. It's really smooth after about 3 weeks ,no doubt due to the charcoal and rice,, but the 'whiskey' flavor from the oak isn't as strong as some folks like. In about 2 months the oak flavor is perfect ,for me,. It continues to mellow in flavor as it ages ,I usually run out before 6 months, but I assume it keeps getting better,. As I said I was pleasantly suprised with the results.

I'd like to know more about the malted grains and the Black Patent/Porter? you guys refered to. Does it impart a more Scotch like flavor ,along with the peat? Where can I get it?

Any other tricks?
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:31:00 AM(UTC)

When you make whiskey do you still throw out the heads and tails or is that where the flavor comes from?
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2005 2:58:16 PM(UTC)

Hey Lamp! I only throw out the first 50-100ml, depending of the volume produced by the still being run ,and then only if I am running a fruit or grain based wash,. A pure sugar/water wash dosen't produce enough harmful things ,like methyl, to bother with, but the tails can, and often does add an off taste. I quit collecting when it no longer tastes good!
enjoy th' fruits of yer labor mate!
Spiritmaker