logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2002 6:10:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Alcohol and water?
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2002 8:18:31 PM(UTC)

I guess you are telling me vodka=alcohol and water. I always thought there was some slight flavors in there. Sorry, my mistake
#3 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2002 12:18:24 PM(UTC)

Follow the instructions to make fermented 'brew' using the turbo yeast recipe for sugar and water and add various sweet non-citrus fruits minus the pits, or various breads for the yeast to dine upon. You'll end up with a sweeter than normal product.
#4 Posted : Friday, December 06, 2002 7:55:46 PM(UTC)

The US government defines Vodka and 'Neutral spirits' as follows:

NEUTRAL SPIRITS OR
ALCOHOL¹
Spirits distilled from any material at
or above 95% alcohol by volume
,190 proof,, and if bottled, bottled at
not less than 40% alcohol by volume
,80 proof,
VODKA¹ Neutral spirits distilled or treated
after distillation with charcoal or
other materials so as to be without
distinctive character, aroma, taste
or color

So the hobbyest alcohol made using sugar and Turbo Yeast which folks distill legally in New Zealand and other countries with similarly progressive laws conforms exactly to US Gov specs for Vodka.

In a way though... that definition ignores the eastern and northern european tradition of vodka being a more flavorful beverage made from potatos or beets or woodsap.

Also... in the strictest sense alcohol distilled from cane sugar is rum. Even without molassas or refiners syrup... it is alcohol made from sugar cane. And even by the US Government definition of Rum... the only way you'd not be making rum would be if you managed to distill at higher than %95.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 05, 2003 4:28:27 PM(UTC)

what about the distillation process?
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 05, 2003 7:08:33 PM(UTC)

What about it?
#7 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2005 8:38:16 AM(UTC)

You could take the easy way out and simply distill a neutral spirit, then purchase an essense from one of the suppliers. Those are easy to get. Follow the directions with the essense. ,i.e. for 750 ml: mix --amounts of 90% alcohol with --ml of essence and top off with --ml of distilled water., I would be more comfortable with making vodka that way, versus rum or wiskey and such. I think to make those taste exactly right, you need the right mash ingredients, the ageing process in the charred oak etc. But vodka, how bad can you screw up that flavour. Dont forget to treat the raw alcohol with the activated carbon before venturing into the essence mixing and adding.
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2005 2:03:56 AM(UTC)

refined cane sugar is not sugar cane you need the molasis or whole syrup to follow the guidelines for rum. Impurities in vodka is more confusing as it is true some small amounts of flavor carry in many of the true eastern european vodkas. It is also pretty safe to just use neutral spirit in place of vodka for mixed drinks or liqueer making etc. You could always use a bit of potato grain etc and a pot still to make a rougher flavor enhanced batch to blend.From what i know all eastern european vodka's are either grain or potato based so converted starches are the base rather than fruit some are flavored with fruit or herbs and spices i think.
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2006 4:37:34 PM(UTC)

i have distilled and have alcohol to 40% but the vodka taste like grain alcohol . any one know why it taste so moonshinesh. put through a mini jet pump with carbon fiters ,maybe putting it through again may help. anyone out there have any ideas????HELP
#10 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2006 6:29:04 AM(UTC)

I have a mini jet as well that has the carbon pads. Remember the pads have carbon powder and is not as effective as the stone carbon. I have used the pads twice and recommend the stone carbon pellets any day over the pads.
#11 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2006 11:20:28 AM(UTC)

To the best of my knowledge, these pads are intended more for color reduction in wine. The contact time as well as carbon type would not be suitable for flavor / odor removal.
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:14:28 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the tips!<center><table border=1><tr><td>UserPostedImage
slots.html (9.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>