logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 3:04:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

and the beat goes on. I finally got the dimmer switch, and spent last night trying to figure out the wiring....switch has two wires plus a ground, how do i connect the dimmer switch to the 1500 watt element? my guess is with 14 gauge wire, then how to i get power to the dimmer switch, ie make a plug for the wall with 14 gauge, and run the other end to the dimmer switch?....do i just wire it all togethere? Please help! thanks, stephen
#2 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 6:35:00 AM(UTC)

[Hey guys....is this subject off topic? I have been following the forum, reading and researching all the old entries involving the construction of electric boilers and how to build them but there is nothing that touchs on wiring the dimmer switch? Maybe I should have titled the subject 'rum and what constitutes dark brown sugar?' to get a response. I appreciate all the assitance I have received to date, thanks. stephen]
#3 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 7:19:02 AM(UTC)

Stephen:

I'm sorry I didn't include that in my Going Electric aritcle. The way I set up my dimmer switch is just to wire it to an outlet just like you were wireing an outlet to a wall. Then I wired the keg to have a plug. I plug that into the dimmer socket. I just moved and am still going through boxes in the garage. As soon as I can get that stuff out I will take some pictures and let you see what I'm talking about.

As far as what constitutes constitutes dark brown sugar I think this quote from C&H sugar explaines it well.

'Brown cane sugar is a natural combination of sugar and molasses, refined without any added colorings, flavorings or coatings. Formed using the traditional method of crystallization, each C&H brown sugar crystal is brown all the way through. If cane sugar is not specified on the label, the sugar may be beet sugar. What beet sugar makers call 'brown sugar' starts out as white sugar crystals that are then sprayed with a brown coating. Often the center of the crystal remains white and the brown molasses coating can be rubbed off in your hands. Not exactly what you want when you go to the effort of baking something fresh ,or rum, from scratch!'

Cheers!
#4 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 8:45:00 AM(UTC)

[Elricko, appreciate the response, i am going to have one of my talented/handyman type friends read you're directions as i am still scratching my head....Pictures would be a great help....please post them whenever ya got a chance.. Hope the move went well, that the alligators are keeping their distance, and i was just kidding about the dark brown sugar......i get it!!!!!!!! Peace. stephen ]
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 4:53:18 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

Groups: Registered

"so is the hot tip to use a dimmer switch or a rheostat to control the hotplate as a constant heat source?

I have been trying to find either and really don't know what type of elec req'ts I am looking for. I guess since my hotplate is 1000 W and 120 V, but what about amps etc. Any suggestions as to what to buy and where to buy it."
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:23:48 AM(UTC)

"Does anybody have pictures of their wiring for the dimmer switch, ie where one ends goes from the keg/ boiler to the 1500 watt dimmer, then from the dimmer to wall outlet? Appreciate any assistance, as i am trying to get ready for a run.

stephen"
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:03:04 AM(UTC)

"[

I'm sorry I didn't include that in my Going Electric aritcle. The way I set up my dimmer switch is just to wire it to an outlet just like you were wireing an outlet to a wall. Then I wired the keg to have a plug. I plug that into the dimmer socket. I just moved and am still going through boxes in the garage. As soon as I can get that stuff out I will take some pictures and let you see what I'm talking about.

As far as what constitutes constitutes dark brown sugar I think this quote from C&H sugar explaines it well.

""Brown cane sugar is a natural combination of sugar and molasses, refined without any added colorings, flavorings or coatings. Formed using the traditional method of crystallization, each C&H brown sugar crystal is brown all the way through. If cane sugar is not specified on the label, the sugar may be beet sugar. What beet sugar makers call ""brown sugar"" starts out as white sugar crystals that are then sprayed with a brown coating. Often the center of the crystal remains white and the brown molasses coating can be rubbed off in your hands. Not exactly what you want when you go to the effort of baking something fresh (or rum) from scratch!""

Cheers!

elricko, any luck with the pixs? appreciate it!! all thumbs and paws"
Offline buzzman  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:42:49 PM(UTC)
buzzman

"hi, if you purchased your dimmer in it's original packaging it should show you a basic wiring diagram. but, in case you didn't, i'll try to walk you through it. i don't know how much electrical knowledge you have so i'm going to try to keep it very simple. if it sounds like i'm talking down to you, i apologize.
ok you're going to run a cord that will be plugged into a wall outlet. you should have a black wire ( this is your hot wire ), a white wire ( this is your nuetral wire ), and a green wire ( this is your ground ). you will bring your black wire (hot) to the switch and attatch it either under a terminal or wire coming out probably black or red. attatch your green (ground wire to the wire on the switch that's green or terminal that is indicated as the ground. now you will need to run a wire from the other wire or terminal on the switch to one terminal of your heating element. i would use black or red wire. now do you remember that white (nuetral) wire. lets wire nut it to another piece of white wire and attatch it to the other terminal on your element. if you want to be really safe, i would suggest that you run another green wire from the other green wire on your switch to the keg. attatch it with an alligator clip, or at the base, or top of the kep drill a small hole where you're not penitrating the inside cavity of the keg where your mash will be boiling and use a wire terminal that you can crimp on the end of a wire and attatch it with a small screw to the keg. i hope this helps.
buzzman"
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:45:16 AM(UTC)

"Buzzman,

thanks for the response....followed your directions somewhat...the dimmer switch i have has three wires white black and green.....taking it from the wall, black goes to black, white to white, green to green.....going from the switch to the boiler, is where i get lost. i gather i run a black wire from the post of the element and tie it in with the other black wires, and the same for the other post on the element, white to white? of course grounding the green.

appreciate the assist.

stephen"
Offline buzzman  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:58:20 PM(UTC)
buzzman

"could you give me any information you have on your dimmer, like model number or type. lutron makes several types of dimmers. but honestly it's been my experience that you have a hot coming in and a switch leg going out. if you attatch your nuetral to the other side of the switch then you'll short it out and trip a breaker. now this has been my experience. i've been doing electrical work fer over 10 years. but maybe this model is different than anything i've ever seen. if you give me more info maube i could find some literature on this one in particular. if i'm wrong i don't mind admitting it. i just don't want you getting hurt. i've tried to attatch a iagram but don't know if'n i did it right. maybe i've been into my on sauce a bit too much tonight. but if it does come through, maybe you can get an idea of what i'm talking about. i'll help you anyway i can.
buzzman"
buzzman attached the following image(s):
CatalogWiring1.jpg (13kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
#11 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 3:40:05 AM(UTC)

"hey buzzman,

appreciate the over and beyond assist. model is a lutron c 1500 be 1500w incd dm. hope this helps. thanks

stephen"
Offline buzzman  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 4:43:02 PM(UTC)
buzzman

"hey i'll stick to what i first said. i would not hook a nuetral wire up to the switch. i researched the info and it seems that this switch has 3 wires coming out of it. a hot, a switchleg and a ground. a switchleg is just a hot after going through the switch. you used the words coming from the wall, which makes me think you may have removed this switch from a wall and found white wire to white wire. contractors take shortcuts so they can make more profit. sometimes it takes less wire to go to the light then to the switch. so they would have to use the white wire for something other than a nuetral. i would run my nuetral straight to one side of the heater. and i would take a wire (regardless of the color) from the white coming out of the switch to the other side of the heater. but be my guest and google lutron c 1500 dimmer. and you can find wiring instructions. i had a nice pdf file i was going to send you but it was too large fer brewhaus. and i couldn't figure out how to just send the info you needed. and i screwed up and lost my first response so i had to do this whole reply over again. but i wish you the best of luck.
buzzman"
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:03:54 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

"I have seen dimmer switches like that with 3 wires and sometimes they are a 3 way for controlling a light from two places.

Maybe that is problem?"
#14 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2007 2:07:36 AM(UTC)

"buzzman,

Here we go.....i got some ojt from a friend who educated me on the what a neutral wire is.....let me lay it out for ya....coming from the wall, three wires, white/neutral, black/hot, green/ground.....dimmer switch(has 3 wires coming out), hook up one of the legs with the black wire and run it to the terminal/heater element. Green/ground from the wall to the ground on the dimmer switch...the remaining leg, run wire from it to the other terminal/heater element. now with the white/neutral wire from the wall, i run it directly to the terminal heater element, opposite of the black wire.......just want to confirm that the heater element has two terminals...when i am done, one terminal will have one black wire, the other terminal will have two wires, 1. white/neutral wire, and wire coming from the other dimmer switch leg, opposite of the black one......???? yes... do i have it?

thanks for your patience......stephen"
Offline buzzman  
#15 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:14:03 PM(UTC)
buzzman

"i think you're on the right track now stephen. glad to have been some help to you.
buzzman"