logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sharlene  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 03, 2021 8:21:55 PM(UTC)
Sharlene

Groups: Registered

I was unable to find this topic covered using the search function. If this is a repeat I am sorry and could use some help finding that post.

I am using the high capacity reflux set up with the 15 gallon kettle and two 1500 watt internal heaters. I started with both heaters running 100% on a sugar wash. The kettle had less than 12 gallons of wash. Once the column was warm about halfway I slowly reduced power to one of the heaters and then completely shut it off leaving one heater for the remainder of the run. I modulated this heater minimally throughout the run. The drip speed always appeared good. And the proof was fairly constant at 170-180 except for a short period of lower proof when the column cooling slowed and had to be adjusted. Unfortunately the distillate was yellow. Very yellow in the early stages and slowly clearing as the run progressed. I am assuming it is related to the heating so I was wondering if there is some advice from those using this set up. Also the thermometer never went over 170 (I am at about 4500 ft altitude).

I plan to dilute the collected distillate with distilled water and run it again. I would prefer to avoid this same outcome if someone has some advice.

Edited by user Saturday, April 03, 2021 8:27:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Wrong proof listed