logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Fletch  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2021 7:29:37 PM(UTC)
Fletch

Groups: Registered

I am interested in getting into home-based distilling, and am currently doing my homework regarding all the equipment I will need and the total cost. The one item in particular that I am reviewing in depth is how and where I plan to age my whiskey. Now I understand that aging this kind of spirit in a charred or toasted American white oak barrel is the standard tried-and-true method. However, due to the cost of a fine oak barrel, the need to cure them to prevent leaks, and the reality that they probably could only be good for one batch before going neutral, I had another idea: Use a 30 gallon stainless steel open-head drum with bungs, and place 12 or more toasted/charred white oak planks,(About 3" wide x 30" long x 1" thick), and close/seal the lid prior to filling with the white whiskey/moonshine. This way, the drum is highly reusable, and only needs to have the old oak replaced with new, freshly toasted or charred white oak before filling with a new batch of moonshine.

The problem with this idea,(As far as I can see), is the cost of new 30 gallon stainless steel drums. The cheapest I found on the internet is $315 each. Another supplier, The Cary Company, lists them for $850 each! The used ones still go for about $245. So I found a much cheaper alternative. There are 30-gallon food grade polyethylene open-head drums with bungs going for as little as $73 each brand new. The critical question that I need to ask anyone is: Will polyethylene adversely affect the taste and quality of my whiskey? Will the polyethylene stand up to the 75% or so ABV that exists in the moonshine/whiskey?

Offline tntc  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 7:27:03 PM(UTC)
tntc

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Welcome to the hobby. The easy way is to buy oak chips or other and add to your quart jars . Watch and taste as you go.
Offline Cowboy 9374  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 11:32:25 PM(UTC)
Cowboy 9374

Bushmill's buys used bourbon barrels from the US, and reuses them three times. You would be better off to add charred wood to wood barrels. Whiskey doesn't age in sealed containers.