logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kad  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2018 9:05:22 AM(UTC)
kad

Groups: Registered

One guy online says and I quote

"Never, ever carbon filter, this removes flavors and aromas from the spirit, needed to do if produced a sugar wash & a fuel yeast, is not just unnecessary but detrimental. carbon filtering a spirit for better taste? Something has gone horribly wrong and might as well throw it out"

Everyone else online differs and says the process of carbon filtering is necessary, mellows the taste, removes bad flavors,and does this and that

My question is: How does a carbon filter tell a good flavor from a bad one and then removes just the bad flavors? Is it not going to strip the spirit of all it's flavors? Is there a place to look up what carbon does, scientifically to the spirit?

Thank you for responding

Edited by user Monday, December 03, 2018 9:06:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: better illustration

Offline tntc  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 7:11:53 AM(UTC)
tntc

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
All depends on what you are making. If going for a complete flavorless neutral then carbon filtering is ok, if doing whiskey or rum I wouldn't recomend it as it will lessen the flavor that you worked hard to get. Most people will reply that if you make a good enough wash for neutral it will not need to be filtered, but taste is so subjective. As far as off flavors in a neutral it does matter on what yeast is used.
thanks 1 user thanked tntc for this useful post.
kad on 1/14/2019(UTC)
Offline tntc  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 7:16:19 AM(UTC)
tntc

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
A quick note.... One thing I have found that will mellow spirits is dried cherries, soaked in the spirits will mellow without any adverse effects on the taste.
thanks 1 user thanked tntc for this useful post.
kad on 1/14/2019(UTC)