logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bk256  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:18:17 AM(UTC)
bk256

Groups: Registered

I am just getting into this "hobby"; I have been a home brewer for years. I am determining if I want to go with 3 band heating elements for 2 internal heating elements for the 15 Gal stainless still. My question is, do I need a current controller to limit current after wash is heated to desired temperature. I understand the wash will continue to heat up as product evaporates. Is a controller necessary to limit heat so that it doesn't heat too quickly?

Also, for Brewhaus pot, I do not see a place for temp probe inside the pot. To me, knowing the temp inside the pot as well as at the top of the column would provide information for a consistent distilling process and therefore a more consistent output. Is this a good way of looking at this?

Thanks.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:18:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:50:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Because you need the liquid in the kettle to be boiling, a temperature reading of the liquid will simply show the boiling point of it. Regardless of how much heat you add, the temperature cannot exceed the boiling point, however, increasing or decreasing the heat will affect the speed of vaporization.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 7:19:22 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I don't think you MUST have a temp gauge inside or at the top of the tower if you can get those that's fine but you really should be using your drip or stream to gauge your collection rate and that's controlled by how hot you are running your still. Without some kind of heat control you may not like what you make.
I don't know about the bands for heat but the internal will most deff work, and to the question of do you need a controller, well yes and no....how are you gonna control your collection rate without some way to control the heat Once you learn a little more you will want a heat or power controller.
You will make a stripping run which is not power controlled just turn it up and let er go, but after that you will want a way to turn your heat down and make a spirit run which is very controlled and a very controlled collection.