logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mr.Morty  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 5:01:39 PM(UTC)
Mr.Morty

Groups: Registered

Good Day to You

I have a PSII HC in a reflux configuration.
The Tube bottom half is Ceramic beads with the top is filled with 4 rolls of Copper mesh with nothing around the cooling tubes at the top.
Heat Soure
1500 watt hot plate. It has 1- 12 for temp and it will shut off with it get to temp if not set to 12 or high

Mash
5.5 Gallons of tap water. I did boiled 2 gallons the cooled down and added sugar then added 3 gallon of luke ware tap water with some 24 Hr turbo yeast once it got down to about 89 degrees. I Let it set for 36 hours. It was still at 78 degrees when I went to transfer to the kettle.

It took 1 hr and 15 min to get it to about it to about 160 degrees. I started the water flow. The water was about 36 degrees (The pup was frozen a little). The heads can out fast fast compared the rest of the run. Just after the heads were done it went to a VERY slow drip.

I yieled 1 Qt plus 1/2 a pint of %92. I tested every 100 mil that cam out. It came out that slow and took another 7 hours to get the yield.

Not sure what other info I can provide please ask Question and I'll give you the best I can. This is my first run Ever!
Offline Mr.Morty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:04:22 PM(UTC)
Mr.Morty

How cold should the water be that is connected to the condenser? as cold as possible or something like 50 degrees?

Do other people just let the water flow through the cooling pipes at full speed or do you slow it down?

for those that use electric heat what do you use?

DO you keep it in High heat or have some way of adjusting the temp?
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:21:53 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
you don't want it ice cold or you could get some huffing. 75 or 80 will still knockdown the vapors
Offline AnybodyHome  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 5:02:03 AM(UTC)
AnybodyHome

Your heating issue with a hot plate is due to 'cycling' . Most of them can be modified to prevent the unit from doing it, and if you purchased one of them from brewhaus it typically comes with a quick set of instructions on how remove the wire controller. The only problem with doing so is that your hot plate will now only be going full blast or ... off. There's additional controllers you can buy / make to take care of that though.